• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best gimper ever

SpikeMaster

Smash Rookie
I need help find the character who can K.O. people at the lowest of percent, weather be spiking or just tricks.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I need help find the character who can K.O. people at the lowest of percent, weather be spiking or just tricks.
Lol, this is asking for a lot, you know? There is no definitive best Gimper or else we'd have a definitive best character. The only character who gets percent and kills with that percent rather quickly is Diddy Kong, but in no way is he a "Gimper".

Characters great at gimping in Smash 4 in my personal opinion:

-Sheik
-Fox, Falco to a lesser extent.
-Marth and Lucina, Ike to an extent (my main)
-Kirby can go deep and dair 1-3 times, as well as Kirbycide. Nair helps gimp.
-Possibly Meta Knight? I know almost nothing of SSB4 MK.
-Jigglypuff
-R.O.B because fuel.
-Ness

Choose your flavor.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Best gimper ever? Unquantifiable.

Pit is great, though, and definitely excels in aerial combat and off-stage ledgeplay.

I second Pit.

Like Wintropy said, it's really unquantifiable, so you have options to determine which character(s) out of those fit you best.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Reading what you want (killing very early). Ganondorf is a good option, strongest spike in the game, and not so hard to land.
Gimping can vary because you can gimp characters like Little Mac at any percent. While characters like Villager or Fox even (sibeB+upB is insane distance) will always come back.

B_Rocka

Smash Rookie
for easy gimps falco is my go-to. Players approaching from any area off stage are usually in for a nice fast fall f-air or a high jump f-air. If their approaching too close/below to the stage a falling back air often catches people off guard. Falco's meteor smash is angled ever so slightly that it can be used with short hops guarding the ledge without ever having to leave the stage. Falcos meteor smash other than that usually takes a very good read to get off stage, and often i will just wait for characters with slower recoveries to use their recovery, only to be meteor smashed at the end of the animation.

If characters with good spikes count as gimpers, I'll throw these suggestions in for spiking:

Stronky Konk tier:
-DK (both dair and fair)
-Kirby. You can dair 1-3 times and still make it back. There's also kirbycide, one of my favorite things in the Smash Brothers series.

Best spikes:
-Diddy
-Link. Even if you miss the spike, there's a lingering hitbox that hurts hard.
-Dorf
-Falco
-R.O.B because of the large hitbox, fuel, and how safe the ledge is.
-Ness
-Captain Falcon

Good spikes:
-Mario
-Rosalina
-Charizard
-Yoshi
-Duck Hunt? I recall him having one, but I might be wrong.
-Mega Man
-Ike. Hard to land, but if you miss, the opponent will likely be horizontally KO'd depending on % because it hits so hard.

Mixed:
-Toon Link. It's a suicide if you miss, but it's safe if you use it on the very end of the stage near the ledge.
-ZSS and Sonic. They are suicides even if you land them, but I'm sure there's a way to use them on the ledge safely, I believe I've done it with ZSS.
-Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit. Props to anyone who can land those, they're personally harder for me than Roy's Melee meteor/PM spike with down air.
-Dr. Mario. Same spike as Mario, but he can't go very deep.

I might have missed a few characters. I believe Shulk has one as well.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Only judging from the characters I play, I would say Rosalina has good gimp potential. Her dair lingers a little bit and if spaced correctly it can linger under the ledge which means it will hit characters before auto-sweetspot kicks in. It can also spike at times. On certain stages you can also get Luma stuck under the ledge as well.

I've seen some ZSS's able to land down-smashes on the opponents recovery under the stage resulting in a free bair into the stage. If you have trouble teching the wall then you may not make it back.

Jiggs nair wall of pain. Easier wall of pains than fair or bair (you can, but its much harder). I have wall of pained people into the blast zones at certain percents. Her air momentum makes it easy to chase opponents even if you missed 1 nair.

Sonic's spring can gimp characters with really bad recovery. Even with decent recovery you may not come back if you've already lost your double jump.

I played against a very good D3 once and he perfectly spaced his gordos for edgeguard (I was Falcon though whom I would say has very predictable recovery).

Also, on your opponent's last stock (who cares what yours is) I will setup Ganoncides.

Khao

Smash Lord
To me, the best gimpers are the ones with the best aerial movement and/or recoveries.

The best your recovery is, the further away from the stage you can safely follow them to screw them over. Villager for one can recover from pretty much anywhere, and chances are that your opponent is playing as someone who can't. That's totally useful.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Sheik, Kirby, Sonic, Pit, and Villager are all pretty good at this. Generally, with gimping, you just want someone who can go offstage and attack, but still be able to make it back after you do whatever it is you have to do.

-Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit. Props to anyone who can land those, they're personally harder for me than Roy's Melee meteor/PM spike with down air.
You put Ness' spike as one of the best in the game and rank this one lower for being hard to hit? I've tried to land Ness' and it's pretty tough so I tend not to go for it anymore. Pit's is just a matter of hitting it when your enemy is below you and in the center. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I can get Pit's dair to spike back to back but have trouble with Ness' dair. Maybe I should just practice it more.

KinkoTheEevee

Smash Cadet
NNID
KinkoTheEevee
Jigglypuff. That's all that comes to my mind when I think of gimping :seuss: but I only play Jigglypuff and Kirby, so there are other gimpers, like ones said above.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

Villager is by far the best, in my opinion. lingering hitboxes, quick projectiles with killpower, and nair stops everything. Also his recovery makes it hard for the opponent to spike/stagespike him because you never know just how low he will go before recovering, and most characters couldn't dip as low as him to punish.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Duck Hunt and his can make him the best gimper in the game. Not really at low percents but still the best gimp

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Villager.
F/BThrow -> :GCX:-> :GCD::GCA: -> death if 3 turnips
---------------------------------------|
---------------------------------------v
if 1 or 2 turnips :GCR::GCA: ->:GCX: >:GCR::GCA: -> :GCU::GCB:

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I'd have to agree with my fellow Villagers, F-Air and B-Air gimps with Nair, and recovery lets you get back to the stage from almost anywhere, making it highly safe for gimping potential.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'd have to agree with my fellow Villagers, F-Air and B-Air gimps with Nair, and recovery lets you get back to the stage from almost anywhere, making it highly safe for gimping potential.
Correction, from LITERALLY everywhere.

-Yasuo

Smash Rookie
NNID
AYoshiEgg
:4sheik:. shes pretty much reliant on gimping people to get kills. and she has alot of options off the edge. Bouncing fish, Up-B, Nair Fair Bair Needles and her string grenade can all gimp people.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Falcon's Bair is very satisfying to gimp someone with. His Downair's not to shabby either IMO, since I've gotten my fair share of 0% kills with a double dair offstage.

Top Bottom