• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is playing more defensive in this battle ?

Who is playing more defensive in this match ?

• Pikachu

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
That Pikachu was zoning hard. If he would've kept it up instead of approaching, he could've had that match.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I didn't even need to watch the whole video to know who was playing more defensively.

Newcastle0634

Smash Rookie
That Pikachu was zoning hard. If he would've kept it up instead of approaching, he could've had that match.
The DK is butt hurt that I "played like a b****". Not sure why he posted this here. My flaw was that I got comfortable with my lead and let up. DK kills Pika very early (as seen in video) so I think my playstyle was justified. You can't trade blows with a heavy DK like he expects me to.

Gretalian

Smash Cadet
The DK is butt hurt that I "played like a b****". Not sure why he posted this here. My flaw was that I got comfortable with my lead and let up. DK kills Pika very early (as seen in video) so I think my playstyle was justified. You can't trade blows with a heavy DK like he expects me to.

I never tried to tried to un-justify your play style. That's not the poll question.

You said I was defensive and you were aggressive. You told me to save the replay and watch it. I said i would, and I'd upload it to youtube. I'm not butt hurt. I'm just proving a point that you were much more defensive.

Last edited:

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
This isn't something you guys could've kept to PMs? You both were playing less than optimal (DK kept getting hit by Quick Attack > F Smash| Pikachu throwing away his lead.) This really isn't something that you needed to advertise. As for who was playing more defensive... Does it really matter? Pikachu shouldn't be jumping in against DK, anyway.

tears in rain

Smash Cadet
First let me just clarify that: When I discuss attacks, I am not referring to attacks that do not deal damage as their primary function - things like Ness' down special, and so on.
Besides those oddities; attacks (jabs, tilts) and specials are both, generally speaking, an attack. There is no real classification for them outside of this simple concept; they are things that deal damage.
Using an attack doesn't automatically mean its offensive, it just means that you are pressing one of your attack buttons.
It's what you do with that particular attack, in conjunction with your left analog stick, that defines not only how you personally play the game, but also whether or not the attack is classified as defensive or offensive.
In short, it's all about how you move.

Pikachu was using his side special almost all game, and it's actually a great example of how you can use an attack in two different ways. In the game linked, whenever DK would try and approach; the Pikachu would jump away and spam his sparks.
This gave the DK two options; he could have either approached slowly between the shielded sparks, or he could have chosen to simply not approach at all; it really is no fun playing against someone who always chooses the easiest option.
Two good examples of this being: a full jab rotation at low percent, and running away from an opponent as they approach you, only to jump into them and attack, or jump away from them and attack.
Both these things can boiled down into a simple definition of; a defensive option - even with the former being that you jump into them and attack; you still jumped away from them before you moved in and attacked.

And that's pretty much what it comes down to; Newcastle, by choosing to always run away from DK, you forced the entire game into what it became; one player not knowing how to deal with projectile spam, and subsequently playing far more defensive -- and the other person who constantly chose to zone his opponent. It was your choice to play campy / defensively, you only have yourself to blame.
I'm not being rude, I'm just being honest, and it's not like its a bad thing either; you just need to learn more about the game itself, and understand why you choose to play the game like you do - simply put; learn to self reflect.
As a side, DK is a big character, and Pikachu is a very, very small character; DK can easily be bodied by characters that can attack in fast succession - Pikachu can do this.
In other words, you have absolutely no reason to be scared of DK as Pikachu. You should have just walked right up to him; jabbed him a few times, and then moved into up tilt juggles to build quick percent.

Last edited:

Newcastle0634

Smash Rookie
First let me just clarify that: When I discuss attacks, I am not referring to attacks that do not deal damage as their primary function - things like Ness' down special, and so on.
Besides those oddities; attacks (jabs, tilts) and specials are both, generally speaking, an attack. There is no real classification for them outside of this simple concept; they are things that deal damage.
Using an attack doesn't automatically mean its offensive, it just means that you are pressing one of your attack buttons.
It's what you do with that particular attack, in conjunction with your left analog stick, that defines not only how you personally play the game, but also whether or not the attack is classified as defensive or offensive.
In short, it's all about how you move.

Pikachu was using his side special almost all game, and it's actually a great example of how you can use an attack in two different ways. In the game linked, whenever DK would try and approach; the Pikachu would jump away and spam his sparks.
This gave the DK two options; he could have either approached slowly between the shielded sparks, or he could have chosen to simply not approach at all; it really is no fun playing against someone who always chooses the easiest option.
Two good examples of this being: a full jab rotation at low percent, and running away from an opponent as they approach you, only to jump into them and attack, or jump away from them and attack.
Both these things can boiled down into a simple definition of; a defensive option - even with the former being that you jump into them and attack; you still jumped away from them before you moved in and attacked.

And that's pretty much what it comes down to; Gretalian, by choosing to always run away from DK, you forced the entire game into what it became; one player not knowing how to deal with projectile spam, and subsequently playing far more defensive -- and the other person who constantly chose to zone his opponent. It was your choice to play campy / defensively, you only have yourself to blame.
I'm not being rude, I'm just being honest, and it's not like its a bad thing either; you just need to learn more about the game itself, and understand why you choose to play the game like you do - simply put; learn to self reflect.
As a side, DK is a big character, and Pikachu is a very, very small character; DK can easily be bodied by characters that can attack in fast succession - Pikachu can do this.
In other words, you have absolutely no reason to be scared of DK as Pikachu. You should have just walked right up to him; jabbed him a few times, and then moved into up tilt juggles to build quick percent.

First of all, Gratalian is the DK. You're right though, he did play defensive because I forced him to. But what you don't take into consideration is his play style, which isn't really shown in the video he posted. There were 15 matches prior to this that he obviously didn't show you. Typically he plays a dodge/block and punish game. Makes it hell to approach him. So by your standards, he forced me to force him to play the way he did. At least you agree he played defensively.

Oh, and for a minute there I though you knew what you were talking about until you said to run up to DK and jab him with Pikachu. Lol

Last edited:

tears in rain

Smash Cadet
Doesn't matter how he played previously, we were asked who was playing more defensive in "this" game - and yes, I did get the names switched around, but that doesn't make my point less valid at all. DK played defensive, which forced Pikachu (Newcastle) to zone him with sparks? What were you thinking by doing this? You don't counter defensive play with your own defensive play. In short, don't try and look for things you can undermine in my post just because you have no value to add to the discussion other than correcting someone for getting the names mixed up - thanks for that but, I corrected the mistake.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
First of all, Gratalian is the DK. You're right though, he did play defensive because I forced him to. But what you don't take into consideration is his play style, which isn't really shown in the video he posted. There were 15 matches prior to this that he obviously didn't show you. Typically he plays a dodge/block and punish game. Makes it hell to approach him. So by your standards, he forced me to force him to play the way he did. At least you agree he played defensively.
Is this entire thread just to validate either one of your egos?

Oh, and for a minute there I though you knew what you were talking about until you said to run up to DK and jab him with Pikachu. Lol
Yeah you can, it's called GIT GUD.

But really Pikachu is small and fast, DK is big and, well, slower than Pikachu (for a heavy he seems decently speedier than the rest). You definitely can just go in and jab, throw out attacks and a whole bunch of stuff and DK is just going to have to take it.

frest123

Smash Cadet
Those thundershocks are actually really easy to get around. If you're playing as DK, you need to know his weakness is exactly this and you need to be good at covering this weakness. The 'strategy' the Pikachu adopted could have easily been worked around if you were a good DK player.

It's like if you were stupid and didn't know how to recover, the best option opponents would chose would be to keep throwing you off the stage. Why? Because you don't know how to deal with a very manageable problem thus they can benefit from this, get an advantage and eventually win.

Same case here. You didn't know how to work around this so why stop doing it?

I'm a Zelda main and sometimes I just need to spam Neutral B to win on For Glory. Some people might call me cheap or a spammer but why the hell can't you work around a simple thing? I do play properly but only when my opponent necessitates me to which in most cases on For Glory, they don't.

Top Bottom