• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is a good secondary / Co-main for mario?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
A lot of people think Mario is top 10 material, good enough to even solo main. Because of an overhaul in his offensive style of play and no top tiers having the range or defensiveness to beat Mario, with the exception of maybe ZSS and Rosaluma but those characters don't compare to Melee Marth and Falco, and Mario's recovery having a huge disjointed hitbox and autosnap range characters can't abuse his recovery and find a hard time gimping Mario compared to other games.

So I have been wondering what character is a good secondary for Mario. In past games I would usually play someone who could cover Mario's bad MUs like Melee Marth and PM Roy. With my use of sword characters in the past I was wanting to pick up another one but a lot of them aren't that good and the sword aspect of them doesn't really help against top tiers as much as in other games. Then I thought about just picking another character in general that would be a good CP Character, like Sonic or Luigi, seeing as they would be used for gimmicks incase matches were lost and a person doesn't do too well against that character.

So what do you all think is a good secondary? Right now I'm putting a lot of work into Roy for some MUs I feel uncomfortable in as Mario, like Ness, Rosaluma, and Luigi but I'm still very reluctant on this choice.

Crissaegrim

Smash Rookie
I personally use Rosa as my secondary. She tends to do really well against the characters that give my Mario trouble. If I weren't using Rosa as my secondary then it would likely be either Marth or Ryu. I've spent some time on Luigi, but I don't enjoy using him as much as Mario. Whenever I use Luigi I always think to myself "I wish I were using Mario right now". I feel this way, not because of the quality of Luigi as a character(IMO he's better than Mario), but I just don't enjoy using him that much. Use whoever is most enjoyable to use, and that provides the results you want to achieve.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I use Samus as my co-main/sub-main to Mario. I've used Wario in that spot before, but I came to the conclusion that I enjoy playing the famous bounty hunter much more. Matchup-wise, she helps me dealing with Luigi, DK, Ganondorf and sword using characters not named Ike (Mario murders Ike). Plus not many people know the Samus MU, so that's a plus.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I main Luigi and have Mario for secondary. I think both complements each other well. The only thing holding them back is the fact they have bad Sheik MUs but that's a thing everyone have. Other than that, they cover each other well.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I'm confused here. Like you implied yourself, Mario needs no secondary
That's true, you can do well in a tournament going solo Mario. Having a co-main/secondary helps to make some MUs easier and/or less frustrating (Luigi comes to mind).

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I don't think Mario has any really bad matchups, even against Luigi (although it's not in his favor) It's better to just learn the matchup as Mario instead of picking up a secondary just for him and maybe one other character. He certainly has a better matchup against Luigi than most characters in this game.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Honestly, I don't think Mario has any really bad matchups, even against Luigi (although it's not in his favor) It's better to just learn the matchup as Mario instead of picking up a secondary just for him and maybe one other character. He certainly has a better matchup against Luigi than most characters in this game.
Its not just for picking up another character just for 1 or 2 MUs, its about having a good CP character as well. Nakat hasnt dropped Fox and Ness even though he plays Pikachu and Pikachus worst MU is 45 - 55

Last edited:

omaximov

Smash Rookie
NNID
omaximov
The only matchup I really struggle with is Rosalina and Luma, so sometimes I feel like I would want a secondary for that purpose. Also Sheik is a tough matchup, but who doesn't have issues with her?

Top Bottom