• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is a good character to practice/learn for better fundamentals and gameplay for ZSS?

andrebound

Smash Cadet
I've been thinking Fox might be a good character to pick up for improving my ZSS ground neutral game since he excels in super good fundamental ground game/neutral game. I feel that having my main focus on improving my ZSS may be limiting my fundamental game since her CQC game is pretty unique and not the greatest with the slow grab and Fox is sort of the opposite of that. I think sometimes I don't react properly in some situations when I'm too close to the enemy etc. Any advice or suggestions?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Honestly if anything maybe you should try playing reverse roles for the mu's your bad at.

You can also ask for opinions based on the perspective of said characters.

ZSS has 3 stuns and a burial with just her normal moveset so that makes her kind of branch off differently compared to the others.

You would probably benifit more from amassing combat experience because until your in those situations enough time you won't be able to do the right things consistently.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
If your fundamentals need development you should just stick to ZSS and play against players that are able to punish your mistakes.
If you have a problem with a specific MU, do what @ pichuthedk pichuthedk said.
Branching off into other characters helps you understand options and limits better for your main, but there is not much of a point in doing so before your fundamentals aren't solid.

andrebound

Smash Cadet
So you think I should just keep focusing all my time and efforts into improving and playing ZSS? I've been doing that so far anyway as I don't feel the need for a secondary if I can be the best with a single character. I've been playing her pretty much non stop since the 3DS version came out. I'm just thinking of ways to improve and if it's worth picking up another character.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
So you think I should just keep focusing all my time and efforts into improving and playing ZSS? I've been doing that so far anyway as I don't feel the need for a secondary if I can be the best with a single character. I've been playing her pretty much non stop since the 3DS version came out. I'm just thinking of ways to improve and if it's worth picking up another character.
I'm saying you should stick to ZSS only if your fundamentals are still very flawed.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
It's never wrong to peek into other characters, but I think that helps you more with understanding limitations and giving you ideas what else could possibly work with your main than with fundamentals.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Just remember.
No Suit , No Life.

Hmmmm....That sounded much better in my head.
xD

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Different characters foster different skills between players. You can bet that a competent Donkey Kong is strong with option selects and punishing. You can bet that a competent Wario is skilled in baiting. You can beat that a competent Pikachu is skilled with technical ability and precision.

If you want a character that is both useful and will foster your overall fundamentals as a character try :4mario: or :4pit:. I chose Pit as my secondary and I noticed improvement to my Meta Knight because Pit is very very fundamental based. He excels at few things but can operate in a myriad of areas. He has a solid punishes, a versatile projectile, a solid combo game, great recovery and more. He has tools across most areas of the character toolbox (as does Mario) that can help cultivate your game as a player overall. Precision type characters such as ZSS can be stressful to play for long periods of time and something easier to handle and diverse can be an enjoyable experience as a whole. It worked for me so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I mean, I find that I learn something new from playing other characters all the time. I have my Main for bracket/try hard play, and then when I don't really care, I'm playing the rest of the cast. It has taught me so many character's limitations, I know most of my MU's without having to actually experience them, at least from a character perspective. Learning the player doesn't mean anything in this context.

Top Bottom