• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the better ABXY button scheme?

Which order of the ABXY buttons do you prefer?

• Nintendo

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

SuicidalYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirZeldaNerd
This refers to the order in which both companies place the buttons. Nintendo puts A right, B down, X up, Y left. Microsoft swaps A and B, and X and Y, being: A down, B right, X left, Y up. This is a battle of the SNES/DS scheme vs Xbox scheme.

darthnazgul

Smash Cadet
NNID
darthnzgul
I don't really have a preference. For me, it depends more on the shape of the buttons and the spacing between them. And in that respect I prefer Microsoft's, but only just.

Also, I feel this is relevant:

Booster

Smash Lord
Psst...you forgot Dreamcast, Retro counts.

Goes to Microsoft though, the A button on a Nintendo controller may accidentally cause you to press the X button due to the location of the button

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I have to give this one to Microsoft. I keep accidentally pressing B when I mean to press A whenever I try to compare the two, and playing Super Smash Flash 2 on a PS3 controller (which has a similar layout to the Xbox's controller, in the sense that the "confirm" button is on the bottom and the "cancel" button is on the right), it feels weird to use standard attacks with what I keep thinking is supposed to be the special attack button, but I have to to get used to SSB3D's layout.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Frankly speaking, the button layouts are identical. The only thing that's different are the label of the buttons.

The buttons function the same way A (Nintendo) and B (Xbox) are for confirmations, B (Nintendo) A (Xbox) are for cancelling selections/jumping in platformers. Y (Nintendo) X (Xbox) dashes in certain games, etc..

It does make quick-time events in games annoying though, since assuming one plays both systems on a semi-regular basis, it can often force players to look down at their controllers to find the right buttons. I still have a hard time with distinguishing between X and Y on the GCN controller when playing Mario Party.

Top Bottom