• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who does G&W really have a hard time against and why?

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
I am trying to expand my selection of counterpicks in order to be more ready for future tournament play so I'm wondering if there are any struggling MUs for G&W.

Some people have told me Cloud, Sheik, and Fox are tough ones for him however I have a hard time believing he struggles against Fox because his laser puts him at risk of getting oil panic'd and G&W is relatively floating making him kind of hard to combo.

Feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
In my experience Game n Watch doesn't give my Ganon too much trouble. Even though he combos well with throws, as the damage goes up Ganon's ability to end him increases with rage. Now I may just be playing against bad GnWs or it could be a personal advantage.

lazerfly

Smash Rookie
In my experience Game n Watch doesn't give my Ganon too much trouble. Even though he combos well with throws, as the damage goes up Ganon's ability to end him increases with rage. Now I may just be playing against bad GnWs or it could be a personal advantage.
ha dude ganon is easy for me. cloud is hard cause he out ranges gw in every move and has insane power and gw is light

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...I'm certain my girl :rosalina: gives our 2D buddy a fair bit of trouble. Check this out:

• She has the range advantage here, now especially aerial range. This should be enough to stop his aerial approach in its tracks.
  • While Luma is still present, G&W will never get to her (not without first taking damage anyway). The little guy disrupts his grab combos; his up air obviously takes him out at quite low percentage; Chef he can just take and Rosa doesn't have to bother using Gravitational Pull on it.
But in return:
  • She is just a hair heavier than :4gaw: so up-smash and the toot-toot becomes important for kills.
  • B-air is important for disposing of that goddamned Luma.
  • Should y'all find Rosa in a recovery situation, Mr. Game and Watch does swimmingly in the off-stage department.
I daresay, this is an advantageous matchup for the time-space queen, but not cloyingly so.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Actual lowdown on characters you would rather not fight with G&W from a main since 2015.
Sonic is the worst MU, if you don't at the very least get Lylat or Dreamland to fight on don't even play the matchup if you can help it.
Diddy is second worst, G&W has more tricks to rob Diddy of stocks but the neutral is arguably worse than Sonic's.

IMO any other character is fair game if you're good enough, but other characters that will have an advantage are Fox, Tink, Greninja, and Meta Knight
As for the matchups you were saying
-Shiek is like near even actually, you lose neutral a lot but usmash is extremely effective against her sh aerials and it beats ftilt, and if you Bucket Vanish twice that'sn instant stock, as long as you don't get killed early you have a pretty solid time
-Cloud is bad, if you don't gimp him you might get killed by rage at an unfair percent, but sometimes you can get him far offstage enough to just win so it's very doable for a bad MU
-Fox is indeed a struggle, but like Cloud he can just randomly die, such is G&W, so it's also doable. Fox is gonna win neutral most of the time and put a TON of damage on before you can most of the time but as long as you watch out for the kill tactics you can bring it back in an instant

Also considering your mains from you signature you're gonna love pulling out G&W against Ness and Bayo, both are way better MUs than the ones Falcon and Mac has against them. Though Bayo probably beats G&W because of Witch Time.

Top Bottom