• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the current top five docs?

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I dunno how I'd rank them but also check out Reason (SoCal), OTG (New York?), Imyt (NorCal) and SmashMac
You should focus on Shroomed a lot though

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Shroomed is kind of the alpha and omega for doc play, but reason is probably right after him

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
It's a dark time for aspiring Doc mains right now. Shroomed has amazing, amazing fundamentals and had a great combo game with Doc. This is why he did so well with the good Doctor. He didn't use some of Doc's more obscure tools. If you're looking for gimmicks/tricks Doc has to make matchups easier, it's better to just keep playing the game and reading the boards here.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Does Velocity still play? Think he's from Tri-State. Reason is pretty good, see him at So Cal regionals all the time. I think HMW will still whip him out every once in a while lol. Not a good day to be a Doc main :( IMO Luigi > Doc. Eddy Mexico and Abate have been on a tear recently with Abate getting top 8 at BH5 the other day.
Yeah no kidding. In the 2013 tier list Doc/Mario are listed at the top of mid-tier, but people have pretty much proven in these recent years that Pikachu, Samus, Luigi, and even Yoshi might all be better than Doc/Mario

Dr Riko

Smash Rookie
Do these guys have any tutorials or any type of information they've shared about Doc? I've been practicing pretty intensely with Doc for a few months and have learned many different things about him but there's a bunch of stuff I want to verify if they work in real tournaments/against actual players because I live in a place where melee isn't played very much at all. Also It'd be awesome to discuss frame data, tricks, combos, the Do's and Don'ts, etc. in a specific thread :p.

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
Yeah no kidding. In the 2013 tier list Doc/Mario are listed at the top of mid-tier, but people have pretty much proven in these recent years that Pikachu, Samus, Luigi, and even Yoshi might all be better than Doc/Mario
Honestly, all of these characters are so close tier wise (IMO) , it doesn't really matter who's better. If they are better, it's only at the most minuscule level of a difference. The absolute only reason(s) for those characters that you mentioned being seen as better is their representation in high level play. Some people might get upset because I don't include certain players, but if they aren't mentioned, then there's a reason I'm not considering them "high level."

Samus: Plup* and Hugs
Luigi: Abate, Eddy Mexico, Blea Gelo (kinda)
Pikachu: Axe... that's it
Doc: No one

There's a ton of recency/representation bias. If Shroomed stuck with Doc, he'd still be AT LEAST a top 20 player. To be honest, he'd be even more likely to be a higher rank than that. If this was the case, everyone would still be saying that Doc is viable and would likely be ranked over Samus, Luigi and Pika on most people's tier lists. He'd be above because of the bias that would come with Shroomed being ranked so high.

There's still many Doctor Marios that do decently at a local level, almost all of which don't travel out of their region. That sounds like it has a lot more to do with the players rather than the characters. Reason and OTG are just 2 examples off the top of my head and they rarely travel out of region, if ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom