• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

While everyone is waiting for Ridley... Space Pirate gets the spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm not a huge Metroid fan (played only the Prime trilogy and a little bit of Super), and I was thinking that clearly Ridley, for now, is the most requested character. But what about Space Pirates? I was looking at some concept art and I would love to see this in Sm4sh:

Zebesian Pirate from Super Metroid:

Zebesian from Fusion:

Space Pirate from Prime 1:

Dark Pirate Commando from Prime 2:

Super Zebesian from Other M:

Sadly I'm not that expert in Metroid games to come up with a moveset for this guys, which would be rather generic probably. But I think that Ridley AGAIN doesn't make the final cut, the Space Pirate would be a nice choice for an obvious new Metroid rep. Also the various forms I showed could work perfectly as alternate costumes (I like alternate costumes).

Thoughts?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That Metroid Prime Pirate is actually from Metroid Prime 3.

The Metroid Prime space pirates look like this actually.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Indeed. Prime 1's pirates were badass. That's a pic of prime 3's in the spoiler, which is no where near as cool.

On topic, theres not much imagination to a pirates moveset besides the obvious pew pew gun and scythe. Its not that I wouldent mind a space pirate as a playable character, but theres not many high-ranking pirates that could fill the role of being "the" playable space pirate, if you know what I mean. Besides, the Pirate Commander looks like Pyramid Head colered purple and buffed up, haha, and the next rank after him would be Dark Samus and Ridley, which are argueable more deserving than a space pirate.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A space pirate branded "heretic" by his breatheren, punished by being made into an "Arbiter"; sent on suicide missions in atonement for his sins.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I mean... "Space Pirate" is a generic minion, and I'm fairly sure only actual characters get in. If you want a Space Pirate representative that isn't Ridley, then I think you're left with Weavel. Even though he's not a classic Zebesian space pirate so... no giant claws.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
According to metroid wiki, there is a difference from Space pirates and zebesian space pirates.

for some reason...

?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If he gets in.... I'll have to step up support for Koopa Troopas/Hammer Bros./Goombas for Smash 5. :upsidedown:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
According to metroid wiki, there is a difference from Space pirates and zebesian space pirates.

for some reason...

?
Yep. "Space Pirates" is an organization with a silly name made consisting of an unknown number of different races. We've probably seen upwards of a dozen different Space Pirate races, though not all of them have been given a name. It's all a bit confusing- "Zebesians" aren't even from Zebes.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well, Yoshi and basically every Pokémon except Mewtwo maybe are "generic", and not actual characters. Just sayin'.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
No to the idea. Too generic, and making the Pokemon argument is not satisfactory. All the Pokemon are based off of major or popular specific Pokemon, like Pikachu technically being Ash's Pikachu and Jigglypuff being the Jiggs from the anime. Ask anyone about this and they will confer.

Also, Yoshi is based off the major Yoshi, just to prove my point further.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Frankly, because the Space Pirates are generic enemies, they'll probably just be treated as Adventure Mode enemies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
No to the idea. Too generic, and making the Pokemon argument is not satisfactory. All the Pokemon are based off of major or popular specific Pokemon, like Pikachu technically being Ash's Pikachu and Jigglypuff being the Jiggs from the anime.
Like Ivysaur? /troll

Anyway this can be considered true, but still it's a fanbase theory. Nothing official. And it's not a real problem anyway.
Some people want Toad. Mario games feature like 100 Toads, the only one which is an actual character is Toadsworth maybe, or Toadette. All the others are just... "Toads".
Also it's funny because a lot of people here support Waddle Dee lol.
Open your minds gentlemen.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like Ivysaur? /troll

Anyway this can be considered true, but still it's a fanbase theory. Nothing official. And it's not a real problem anyway.
Some people want Toad. Mario games feature like 100 Toads, the only one which is an actual character is Toadsworth maybe, or Toadette. All the others are just... "Toads".
Also it's funny because a lot of people here support Waddle Dee lol.
Open your minds gentlemen.
Except there is a SPECIFIC Toad and Waddle Dee (The red Toad and Bandana Dee specifically) We don't support an enemy. We support a character who happens to have the same name as his race.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
What's the specific Toad, exactly? The one in Mario Bros. 2? Where is written that he is the same in Mario Galaxy (there are like 5 of them right?).
But most important, what's the problem in supporting a common enemy which could offer a good moveset potential?
Seems to me like you're mirror climbing to justify the presence of some characters, while there isn't really the reason to do it.
Like the Melee Pichu evolved into Brawl Pikachu thing... LOL c'mon.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Waddle Dee is also clearly a bad choice, I'm not sure you really want to be bringing him/it/them into this. :p
Butttt, at least Waddle Dee has something resembling a name. What would you want this character's "name" to be? Space Pirate? Zebesian?

Besides, there is clearly a "Toad", just like there's assumed to be a specific Yoshi. The playable one from SMB2, and... y'know what, you can just look at the Mario wikia for reference.

I personally want a crew of Space Pirates to be airdropped onto the stage for Ridley's final smash. So that's kind of like them being playable. I think it's kind of a pity that Weavel from Metroid Hunters isn't a Zebesian... it would make him a lot more iconic seeming.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I understand not liking the idea, but being against it it's just stupid.
I've seen topics here requesting Wreck-It Ralph... I mean c'mon Ralph makes more sense? Lol.

I like the idea of the final smash though.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I understand not liking the idea, but being against it it's just stupid.
Let me ask you this.

Do you REALLY think Sakurai will add a playable space pirate (which has no identity mind you) when we could have Ridley, Dark Samus, Anthony or any of the Prime Hunters?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Just because people have made worse character suggestions doesn't make this one automatically good. :p

That being said, follow your dreams! Make a moveset, convince me!

Even if your dream is arguing for a mindless minion from a series you don't even like...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Interesting idea, but I think that the Space Pirates are a little to generic to steal the spot from Ridley.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Waddle Dee is also clearly a bad choice, I'm not sure you really want to be bringing him/it/them into this. :p
Butttt, at least Waddle Dee has something resembling a name. What would you want this character's "name" to be? Space Pirate? Zebesian?

Besides, there is clearly a "Toad", just like there's assumed to be a specific Yoshi. The playable one from SMB2, and... y'know what, you can just look at the Mario wikia for reference.

I personally want a crew of Space Pirates to be airdropped onto the stage for Ridley's final smash. So that's kind of like them being playable. I think it's kind of a pity that Weavel from Metroid Hunters isn't a Zebesian... it would make him a lot more iconic seeming.
Like how we call THE Magic Koopa "Kamek", we should call THE Toad "Kinopio"

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Like how we call THE Magic Koopa "Kamek", we should call THE Toad "Kinopio"
Yup! Coincidentally, I was just coming onto the boards to post in the Kamek board.

Magic Koopa/Magikoopa/Kamek?

whats his name? Kamek imo is a sick name though.
Kamek is the koopa wizard who raised Bowser from a baby turtle into the Koopa King he is today. According to the Kamek thread, he's had 16 different appearances. He'd be pretty fun in Smash, I think.

So, Space Pirateers, how do you envision a Space Pirate playing? More of a melee character or a strong focus on ranged attacks like Samus?

CalumG

Smash Lord
No to the idea. Too generic, and making the Pokemon argument is not satisfactory. All the Pokemon are based off of major or popular specific Pokemon, like Pikachu technically being Ash's Pikachu and Jigglypuff being the Jiggs from the anime. Ask anyone about this and they will confer.

Also, Yoshi is based off the major Yoshi, just to prove my point further.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfV19jqNNhI

Pikachu comes out of a Pokeball as his entrance animation... as far as I'm concerned that completely rules out Pikachu having any relation to the Anime Pikachu, bar the fact that the anime helped Pikachu acquire such popularity in the first place.

I agree with the general sentiment though :p Space Pirates aren't really the same thing. In the case of the Pokemon and Yoshi - that is, characters that are representative of more than one entity - they at the very least have an iconic look. The Space Pirates don't even have that; their look and feel fluctuates wildly over the course of the series.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I have to disagree with adding generic enemies into Smash Bros. Hammer Bros., Ironknuckles, Kritters...now if there's a specific Space Pirate, that's a little likelier.

I still think Ridley's a higher priority. Or perhaps...

:shades:

...a bigger one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoa that would be a real ******** move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom