• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Which SSB4 3DS Group do you fall under?

Which SSB4 3DS Group Are You In?

• The 3DS version is cheaper

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • The 3DS version is coming out sooner (later moving to the Wii U version)

Votes: 83 61.0%
  • The 3DS version is enough for me (no incentive to buy the Wii U version)

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • The 3DS version is portable

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • The 3DS version has more games accompanying it than the Wii U version

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The fact that the 3DS version is coming out first means that it will be the first time we catch any idea of how the engines feels (in our hands).

Some people are getting the 3DS version for many different reasons.

My question is, which group explains your choice about your purchase?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I was always planning to get the 3DS version first and then the Wii U version later anyway so it coming out first is convenient for me. So I suppose I might fall into the "3DS version is coming sooner" group.

I also really love the idea of it being the first portable Smash. I'm away from home a lot so having Smash on the go is very appealing to me.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'm barely at home now, so the fact that it is portable was my reason for choosing it. Getting the Wii U version would be a huge waste of money, since I wouldn't be playing it that often. The fact that it's cheaper is a plus, along with it coming out first.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I'm actually going to get both, but i chose portability. Also, none of my other friends have Wii Us (well, 1 does).

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I don't have a Wii U, nor a decent TV I can hook it to, so I'll make due with the 3DS version. I will pick up a Wii U controller for touneys/smash fests, however.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I intended to buy both from the on-set. There will be times where I'll play the 3DS version, and times when I play the U version (though, if given the choice, U all the way).

I'm a Smash fan. Any major Smash Bros. entries I'll pick up because I enjoy this series.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm only getting the 3DS version first because it's out first. Had the two games been released on the same day, I would have bought both on Day One, but probably would play the Wii U version first.

I'm looking forward to the Wii U version more by principle, as we don't know much about it and Sakurai has said that both games are packed with content, so the Wii U version has to have a big new game mode or two in there. Plus, I can play with more people locally (because right now, the only person I can play locally with regularly is my brother on the 3DS. With the Wii U version, I can invite people over to play it even if they don't own the game). And while it's not a big deal, the Wii U version just looks more impressive graphically and will have an objectively more comfortable controller option.

In fact, part of me wishes the Wii U version came out in the Summer. Because I'll be back in college in the Winter. So even then, I'll probably end up on the 3DS version more as I'll bring it to college and play it when I've got nothing much to do, and I'll likely do work at home or something.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I've been solely invested in the 3DS version since the beginning, so I'll be a rare person to be satisfied with just the one game.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
A mix, for me.

I want it primarily for portability, since I'm at my girlfriend's a lot and we go to NYC sometimes for events (Nintendo Store or NY Comic Con) and it allows me to play it while doing other things in other rooms of the house.

Additionally, it's coming out first. My original plan was up in the air if they were the same day. I wanted the 3DS version from the start, but there was no way I'd pick it over Wii U, and I'd probably lose my reason to get the 3DS version after a while.

Smash Run and the different stages DO make it worthwhile to me, though, in terms of what I can still get out of them post-Wii U release.

Also, my girlfriend is definitely getting the 3DS one and unsure if she'll get the Wii U one, so if she doesn't (for whatever reason), this gives me a way to still play with her online.

So the big things for me are:
- Comes out first
- Portable
- Different Stages + Smash Run

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
I was debating if i would even get the 3DS version since i figured the WiiU version would be a better quality but not that I saw that it will have smash run which is based off Kirby air ride and that it is coming out sooner I will definitely get. Also I wouldn't feel right if I didn't own a copy of a smash bros game.

Kerreb17

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0619-4010-5392
I think my reason is more along the lines that I already have a 3DS and I don't have nor want to buy a Wii U at this point in time.

Come Christmas, that could change. It's not likely though.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
The 3DS version for me is just a holdover until they release the Wii U version (which is obviously superior).

R0Y

Smash Master
Definetly in the
The 3DS version is coming out sooner (later moving to the Wii U version)

camp

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
considering, as a working adult, i spend much more time on my 3ds than my wii u, i expect to play my 3ds version more initially (even when the wii u version comes out) but i imagine as the game starts getting old (never boring though) and i move on to other ventures, that when i do come back, it'll be to the wii u version.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I guess I vote for portable. Since before SSB4 was announced I was more intrigued by the prospect of a portable SSB because it could bring something new to the series whereas an HD entry seemed more of the same.

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
I don't own a Wii U, but I've had a 3DS for quite some time now.

That and the ability to digitally beat up random kids in wal-mart speaks to me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I'm sort of more than one camp, although I chose "it comes out sooner".

I would have gotten both regardless of the release date difference, and I absolutely appreciate the upcoming existence of a portable smash. I will probably play the 3DS version often, even after the Wii U version releases because what better game to play on the go but more smash? Seriously I've been dreaming of mobile smash since game boy advance.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm getting it cause it comes out first. If the Wii U version came first I wouldn't buy the 3DS version.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Where is the "I was always going to get both versions" option?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I thought the "The 3DS version is coming out sooner (later on moving to the Wii U version)" was that option?

But yeah, I should have put that.
I'll vote for that because it is the closest. But yeah, I was always planning on getting both versions.

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet
There aren't any Wii U titles that I'm interested in, so I can't really justify buying the console for just Smash. 3DS on the other hand, I already have.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
3DS obviously because it's coming sooner. I do like the exclusive Smash Run and am looking forward to whatever other game modes are announced, but I get the feeling the Wii U version will take most of my attention afterwards.
In terms of portability, I'm home most of the time so I can easily use Off-TV play if needed. I guess the 3DS version will come in handy for long road trips and hypothetical conventions I never go to so... *cough* that says a lot about me...*cough*

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Where is the, "I already have the 3DS and was planning on getting both versions anyway" group -_-

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the 3DS is coming first camp. I planned to buy both originally, but when I thought they'd be coming at the same time, Wii U was a Day 1 purchase and 3DS would have been something I'd be eventual, probably after I unlocked pretty much everything on Wii U.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm planning to get the 3DS version only for right now. So far, there isn't any incentive for me to get the one for Wii U, and I'm always out doing stuff away from home.

Maybe I'll get the Wii U version one of these days, but it will have to be at a much cheaper price.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I am planning on getting both. I'm definitely going to be playing the wii u version more when it comes out though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm getting the 3DS version, then moving on to the Wii U one... as is the majority.

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
I'm n a special group, I'm getting it mostly because it has different stages.

Oh, and it's portable... but I'm still getting both.

Thor

Smash Champion
None of the above. I have a 3DS and no Wii U, therefore I will get the 3DS version and not the Wii U version.

I could get a Wii U, but why wait longer when I could play the game sooner? So maybe a little of the "it's sooner" thing, but that's secondary (since I'm off to college soon enough, if the release dates were swapped I wouldn't be buying a Wii U for college I don't think...).

And even if I get it, I seriously doubt I'll stop playing the 3DS version - Smash Run maybe, but I can play one at home/tournaments and the other at home/away/tournaments if they have 3DS tournaments.

The "Getting both" should be an option, because let's be real - for some kids, after their parents have yelled at them to go upstairs and go to bed and stop playing the Wii U, they might just flip on their 3DS and get back in the fray.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
None of the above. I have a 3DS and no Wii U, therefore I will get the 3DS version and not the Wii U version.

I could get a Wii U, but why wait longer when I could play the game sooner? So maybe a little of the "it's sooner" thing, but that's secondary (since I'm off to college soon enough, if the release dates were swapped I wouldn't be buying a Wii U for college I don't think...).

And even if I get it, I seriously doubt I'll stop playing the 3DS version - Smash Run maybe, but I can play one at home/tournaments and the other at home/away/tournaments if they have 3DS tournaments.

The "Getting both" should be an option, because let's be real - for some kids, after their parents have yelled at them to go upstairs and go to bed and stop playing the Wii U, they might just flip on their 3DS and get back in the fray.
Lets be real here. The Wii-U is gonna have way more content than the 3DS version. Theres no other reason for it to be coming out after the 3DS version than that; adding content. What kind of content, I have no clue, but its there, and itll be awesome. Im getting both because theyll both be special and the 3DS looks cool with the outlines and Smash Run and the Wii-U looks cool with a Smash Bros in HD, plus, easy multiplayer.

Thor

Smash Champion
The content I want has traditionally been called multiplayer mode - where I turn on with some AIs to beat up and test stuff/tech skill or else fight with people I know.

I also like the training mode for tech skill and messing around with other stuff like items.

I expect the 3DS to have both, so it should be sufficient for me, and I could probably swap between them. I'd enjoy bonus content to be sure, but it's not a dealbreaker that the 3DS won't have stuff besides Smash Run and maybe one or two other bonuses the Wii U doesn't have, as compared to more songs and whatever else we get on the Wii U.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Pretty much all groups?

I'll upgrade to Wii U when it comes out/I feel I should get a Wii U.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
- The 3DS library is more appealing
- I have a preference for portable systems
- The 3DS is cheaper
- 3DS games are cheaper
- Smash Bros 3DS looks better (in terms of art style, not in terms of polygon quantity)
- I already have a gaming PC and I have no plans on buying a "next gen" console for the next two or three years

I fall under a lot of groups.

Even if the Wii U version was released first, I would still wait for the 3DS version.

Last edited:

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Oh god. Umm... I was going to buy the 3DS one and play it until I got a Wii U to buy the Wii U version (IF I get a Wii U - very likely but might no happen.) I still planned to pay both of them in more or less equal portions.

Top Bottom