• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Megaman attack does the most shield damage?

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
I'm currently working on a shield-breaking set up with Megaman and was wondering if you guys knew which move does the most shield damage to speed things up my testing.

Currently I'm thinking it's probably one of the following:

- Side Smash
- Down Smash
- Utilt
- Dash Attack

Thanks in advance for your help, let's continue building the Megaman metagame!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I thought Crash Bomb did some decent shield damage, at least when used in conjunction with other attacks!

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
In general, I feel like poking is the name of Mega Man's game because there are more than just a few moves that just eats up a percentage of shields. Also Up Air is one of those, as well as super close up z-drop metal blade. (3-4 hits.)

Last edited:

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
If you're at low percent and your opponent is shielding a crash bomb stuck to them, walk p and utilt. The sweet spot of utilt will land, crash bomb will cancel your utilt animation and you'll be able to do another utilt before they leave shield stun, breaking their shield

You can also ditcit into this setup.

You're welcome

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Ooo, that sounds fun. I can't believe I haven't done that!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
If you're at low percent and your opponent is shielding a crash bomb stuck to them, walk p and utilt. The sweet spot of utilt will land, crash bomb will cancel your utilt animation and you'll be able to do another utilt before they leave shield stun, breaking their shield

You can also ditcit into this setup.

You're welcome
You have to power shield that last explosion and then utilt.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
You have to power shield that last explosion and then utilt.
I never had to do that, maybe because utilt has invuln frames and I timed it right.Edit: I haven't tested yet But I think you're definitely right

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
A fully charged down smash seems to do the trick for shield damage. But then again, it's just me.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Thanks for the replies guys, it seems my shield breaking idea didn't work out BUT on the positive side some of the ideas posted here have got my creative juices flowing in another direction (This is why I love Smashboards).

Now I'm going to investigate the uses of Pefect Shielding a crash bomb that has been attached to you and then instantly acting out of it (like the Perfect Parry Tech of the Week video).

It may prove useful when fighting against characters with reflectors (e.g. Mario, Fox, Falcons, Pit etc)

UPDATE:
Here are the results of my initial experiments:
https://youtu.be/LzPlrv9mPIw
- Sacrifice 1-2% damage for an aggressive option out of a reflected crash bomb.
- Works even at high %
- Performed by spot-dodging the initial explosion then "Out of Perfect Shielding / Perfect Parrying" a move out of the second explosion.
- Here's a link to the One Smash video which discusses Perfect Parrying / OoPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlGQpPg5PQc
- Pretty much any move can be used out of the perfect shield

:)

Last edited:

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
The highest shield breaking moves in RockMans' moveset are Crash Bomb, Air Shooter, and Metal Blade all doing fairly decent Shield Damage.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Thanks for the replies guys, it seems my shield breaking idea didn't work out BUT on the positive side some of the ideas posted here have got my creative juices flowing in another direction (This is why I love Smashboards).

Now I'm going to investigate the uses of Pefect Shielding a crash bomb that has been attached to you and then instantly acting out of it (like the Perfect Parry Tech of the Week video).

It may prove useful when fighting against characters with reflectors (e.g. Mario, Fox, Falcons, Pit etc)

UPDATE:
Here are the results of my initial experiments:
https://youtu.be/LzPlrv9mPIw
- Sacrifice 1-2% damage for an aggressive option out of a reflected crash bomb.
- Works even at high %
- Performed by spot-dodging the initial explosion then "Out of Perfect Shielding / Perfect Parrying" a move out of the second explosion.
- Here's a link to the One Smash video which discusses Perfect Parrying / OoPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlGQpPg5PQc
- Pretty much any move can be used out of the perfect shield

:)
I never thought of spot dodging before a perfect shielded Crash a bomb explosion! Cool!

Another thing you can cancel out of beside dodging...https://youtu.be/a60jMi9yfFE

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Thanks, glad you thought it was cool. I don't know how practical it will be in a real match (although the instant/safe leaf shield looks pretty useful) but the more tech the better right. :)

I remember seeing that video a while back but I lost the link. Added it to my Megaman tech playlist so it won't happen again. Those shield breaking applications were great!

What other applications do you think this tech could be used for?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Not sure at this moment, but this thread reminded me of the possibility to cancel and power shield crash bomb. With that reminder, I plan on focusing my play style on that tech for a while to explore it more.

Mega Man has SO MUCH tech that I forget some of it here and there and play only with my current favorites. Threads like this are awesome because they remind me to practice tech that's still new to me!

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Not sure at this moment, but this thread reminded me of the possibility to cancel and power shield crash bomb. With that reminder, I plan on focusing my play style on that tech for a while to explore it more.

Mega Man has SO MUCH tech that I forget some of it here and there and play only with my current favorites. Threads like this are awesome because they remind me to practice tech that's still new to me!
Cool, I can't wait to see what you find. By the way I found a way to pretty much guarantee a Pefect Shield after a crash bomb spot dodge. It's so simple I can't believe I didn't notice it earlier, you simply:

Spotdodge > [continue holding shield] > perform your action out of shield

Continuing to hold shield after you spotdodge makes things so much easier.

I agree, Megaman is a joy to use because there always seems to be new tech that can be discovered. I'm glad I picked him as my main :)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
That IS delightfully simple. :D

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I find hitting the opponent with crash Bomb then charging Fsmash usually works to get their sheild down pretty far. Also then if they roll or something the Fsmash still hits them.

It won't break their shield but if you hit them with another crash Bomb right after it puts them in a really tough spot.

I've gotten a number of shield breaks this way.

And if the opponent is low percent a good punish on shield break is crash bomb up close then charge Dsmash. After the bomb transfers to you and back to them let the Dsmash go.

Good percent and it can keep them close for a follow up combo.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
That IS delightfully simple. :D
Its also guaranteed to only do 1% damage with the hold method.

On a slightly negative note I found this tech isn't as effective at 100%+

- I've been testing out downthrow > Spotdodge Perfect shield USmash works quite well and can combo if they don't double jump.

- At a slightly higher percentage you can charge Side smash which can catch an opponent off guard.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Interesting! I havent see competitive Megaman's use CB too much, you know throwing a CB after your opponent goed offstagr is awesome because of its range and slow speed and because you dont waste much by throwing it

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Sawblade > CB > Sawblade > full charge F smash breaks shield if they block the first blade, unshield, get stuck by CB, and then try to shield the rest. Also, CB sets up into grab if they shield it and pretty much any aerial if they get hit by the last explosion, just aim your attack to hit them as they fly away from the explosion. CB will always send the opponent the direction it was travelling when it stuck to the opponent.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
I shield broke someone to their death by sticking them with a crash bomb, throwing a metal blade diagonally into the shield, then up-tilting. It was glorious

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
I shield broke someone to their death by sticking them with a crash bomb, throwing a metal blade diagonally into the shield, then up-tilting. It was glorious
Nice set up, that's actually pretty practical as well, I'll deffo be trying this. Thanks for sharing!

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Shields breaking more quickly in the recent patch makes Megaman even more deadly especially with crash bomb. Time to work on even more setups. Good times ahead for us Blue Bombers!

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Styles posted something , zdrop mb into dsmash breaks shields lol. Back to the lab again...

I have to go t work but I'll find the video after if nobody else does

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Are they locked in shield during the MB drop? Is the lock long enough for Dsmash? Don't get me excited over nothing! ;)

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Are they locked in shield during the MB drop? Is the lock long enough for Dsmash? Don't get me excited over nothing! ;)
All the multi hit move can be smash DI while in shield, so not exactly guaranteed but the fact that a zdrop mb into dsmash will break a shield alone is insane

Good question about shield lock,I'll have to che k the video again. but if they let go they set themselves up for a bair so no big deal

edit:
heres the video, turns out crash bomb is involved

https://gfycat.com/ThunderousDefensiveHarpseal

have fun

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
All of this shield stuff is confusing me. Some say this helps us, some say this hinders us. What is it?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Too soon to say, not until we understand the mechanics more! Regardless, we'll stand strong!

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
All of this shield stuff is confusing me. Some say this helps us, some say this hinders us. What is it?
Depends on how you play. More shield stun generally prioritizes aggressive play and nerfs reactive, oos options. Like ENKER said, too soon to say, and it'll largely have to do with how the meta adapts.

Top Bottom