• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is better; Tap Jump or Button Jump

HotChocolate

Smash Rookie
So recently I have been watching a ton more streams on Smash, some with a live controller cam, and I noticed that most all of the people I am watching are using button jump. I, personally, have only ever known and used tap jump, but after doing a bit of research I found that most competitive players use button jump as it does provide a ton of benefits... should I try and make the switch before Ultimate or stick with tap jump???

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
In my configuration, I change A and B to Jump, Y to Attack and X to Special Move, ZR and ZL to Shield, R and L to Grab, and Tap Jump OFF.

Tap Jump is very annoying to me, sometimes I just wanna direct some attack to the up direction, or I just rotate the analog stick for some reason, and the character ends up jumping, it's just not natural too. I'm used to Jump with the B or A buttons since the times from Super Mario World where B was normal jump and A was the rotatory jump. It's just natural to me that the jump action is too important and I must have full control of when I want to jump, and I feel I can jump in moments I dont pretend with the Tap Jump on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Button jump for me, it's hard for me to do uairs without accidentally using my double jump with tap jump

itsjustoskar

Smash Rookie
NNID
alexxblass
button jump. using the stick is difficult and uncomfortable for me. btw, my controls for jumping are X and Y and A is for attack and B is for special.

HotChocolate

Smash Rookie
In my configuration, I change A and B to Jump, Y to Attack and X to Special Move, ZR and ZL to Shield, R and L to Grab, and Tap Jump OFF.

Tap Jump is very annoying to me, sometimes I just wanna direct some attack to the up direction, or I just rotate the analog stick for some reason, and the character ends up jumping, it's just not natural too. I'm used to Jump with the B or A buttons since the times from Super Mario World where B was normal jump and A was the rotatory jump. It's just natural to me that the jump action is too important and I must have full control of when I want to jump, and I feel I can jump in moments I dont pretend with the Tap Jump on.
Button jump for me, it's hard for me to do uairs without accidentally using my double jump with tap jump
button jump. using the stick is difficult and uncomfortable for me. btw, my controls for jumping are X and Y and A is for attack and B is for special.
Thanks for the input, I've made the switch and safe to say after about 4 hours of practicing that its second nature. Thanks!

Top Bottom