• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character suffers the most from lag?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I know that lag isn't fun, but it's impossible to play online without at least a little lag. So which character do you think suffers the most from it and why?

Arrei

Smash Lord
My vote's for Pikachu, things go very south when lag eats Quick Attack inputs.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think it's Ryu, actually. I don't main him, but the people that I know who do often say that the lag messes up their inputs.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I think it's Ryu, actually. I don't main him, but the people that I know who do often say that the lag messes up their inputs.
No one exactly plays well with messed up inputs, but Ryu can at least do well enough without relying on his tricky inputs. True Shoryu may become less viable, but he still has regular Shoryu which is still confirmable and perfectly serviceable on For Glory. Pikachu on the other hand gets crippled hard without reliable Quick Attack shenanigans, losing a powerful approach and mindgame tool and making otherwise simple recoveries a lot more risky on top of the whole lag messing with combos thing. So he can't do damage, he can't get kills, and he can't recover as well when he tries to gimp. Ouch.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Personally I think anyone can be completely screwed with lag because no matter the character if it doesn't read an input correctly or at all in certain situations well then that's it. Say goodbye to winning because you did an aerial move you didn't want or a Smash.

That being said, the MOST? Probably characters with laggy attacks. King Dedede for example. If I want his jab which is faster than his Side Smash and WILL hit an opponent, but get his Smash attack anyways they can counter me far easier cause that move won't hit in time. Plus some laggy moves have dead giveaways on what exactly they are. If the lag is making it freeze or making it feel like slow motion they know exactly what type of attack is coming out and can often avoid it before you have a chance to land it.

They can actually see it happening in slow motion and prepare ahead of time.

Faster characters with faster attacks on the other hand, even if the opponent sees it due to the lag they may not be able to react due to how fast it is. So yeah. My vote will be for the slower guys with laggy moves since lag allows you to prepare for it.

Last edited:

Jzeke420

Smash Rookie
I say pikachu and ness/lucas or any character really who needs specific DI to achieve their recovery. I've screwed myself plenty as pika when trying to quick attack back to safety or if i'm trying to recover with ness and his pk thunder lags i will (very often) completely wiff and just fall to my death

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Any character with an attack that when used wrong can make you SD is an obvious one. As are characters that play at a speed that requires more inputs, since there's basically more chances that misinputs will happen leading to either punishes or an SD. Characters who require good spacing can also be a nightmare because precision gameplay is so much harder when things aren't smooth on the eyes. -and finally, characters without projectiles suffer because you have no moves to throw out without having to dodge basically everything in lag in the first place - which goes back to my point about precision gameplay.

Some characters just have to play with a neutered, cheesy toolkit in lag, like Fox, Ryu or Sheik, who I've all seen played "well" despite lag, but it just looks really degenerate and uncomfortable. Whereas others like Pikachu, Greninja or Ness have relatively higher chances of SDing because of a misinput or wrongly aimed recovery, but that only really applies to their offstage game.

I don't think there's a single character who is "unplayable" in lag, unless the lag is that bad in the first place, but if I had to say the worst character in lag comparative to how well they usually do?..

:4shulk:Laggy onstage game where lag can make reading and punishing easier, with an offstage game where there are handfuls of moves that can cause an SD, no projectile, a special move integral to his gameplay that requires a specific amount of quick presses, gameplay that benefits a lot from spacing and timing moves correctly, topped off with the fact that basically most of Shulk's technical stuff is just nigh-impossible in lag, he just suffers hard.

At least, he's my pick. Sorry Shulk.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Any character with an attack that when used wrong can make you SD is an obvious one. As are characters that play at a speed that requires more inputs, since there's basically more chances that misinputs will happen leading to either punishes or an SD. Characters who require good spacing can also be a nightmare because precision gameplay is so much harder when things aren't smooth on the eyes. -and finally, characters without projectiles suffer because you have no moves to throw out without having to dodge basically everything in lag in the first place - which goes back to my point about precision gameplay.

Some characters just have to play with a neutered, cheesy toolkit in lag, like Fox, Ryu or Sheik, who I've all seen played "well" despite lag, but it just looks really degenerate and uncomfortable. Whereas others like Pikachu, Greninja or Ness have relatively higher chances of SDing because of a misinput or wrongly aimed recovery, but that only really applies to their offstage game.

I don't think there's a single character who is "unplayable" in lag, unless the lag is that bad in the first place, but if I had to say the worst character in lag comparative to how well they usually do?..

:4shulk:Laggy onstage game where lag can make reading and punishing easier, with an offstage game where there are handfuls of moves that can cause an SD, no projectile, a special move integral to his gameplay that requires a specific amount of quick presses, gameplay that benefits a lot from spacing and timing moves correctly, topped off with the fact that basically most of Shulk's technical stuff is just nigh-impossible in lag, he just suffers hard.

At least, he's my pick. Sorry Shulk.
I'm going to be honest, I've run into a LOT of shulk players with my charizard, I....honestly I don't remember the last time I lost to one.
Shulk's moveset has to be memorized fully to take advantage of it, there are several moves that if used at the wrong time make him very easy to punish, and his upb recovery has a nasty tendency to overshoot the edge leaving him open for counters.
Good shulk users from what i've seen can go between his five stances seamlessly but they always pick a stance, keep it until it runs out then switch. Buster and speed modes are popular starters with shield mode rarely being used except to stall. Like I said I don't remember the last time I lost to him.

Jaabir

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaabir1
Yeah might as well face it shulk will always suffer from lag

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:4megaman: used to be one of my mains and I remember how I almost always get lag whenever I play as him.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I think every character suffers from lag, but some suffer more than others. :4ryu: and :4fox: are good examples of characters that suffer way more from lag because they require precision and timing to get a lot of their strategies right, and having lag of any kind throws off their games.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I'm actually glad I hit upon a good conversational topic. I mainly got this idea from the sheer amount of complaining I saw about lag when it came to the online discussions. Heck I know some smashers that refuse to play if they sense lag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom