• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character is your favorite to play against?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I ask this question because I want to know what characters people think are fun to fight against rather than as. This doesn't necessarily have to be your main's best matchup, or one that you go even with, but whatever character that, no matter how hard or easy the matchup, is fun to play against.

Personally, I love playing against :4villager:, especially when playing as Dedede. You would think that this MU would be super annoying, with his slingshot vs my huge hitbox and slow speed, but when Villager pockets a gordo, the stakes get raised immediately to 3 times as high. Also, edgeguarding on both sides is fun because it is so difficult but so rewarding, and Villager just has such crazy options in general, with an RNG u-air and d-air, and the tree, and his recovery. I always leave a match against a villager laughing, win or lose.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:4megaman: Cool character in general to watch and play against, and I'm rather partial to zoner fights. Has to work for his kills, so it never feels "undeserved" when you die.
:4ganondorf: schadenfreude

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I'm such a huge scrub that every character out there isn't really fun to play against. Then again, I really only started playing Smash competitively in general back in early 2015...

Except for Captain Falcon. He's actually fun to play against.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love fighting a good :4sheik:. Always a very fun experience. Honorable mentions to :4myfriends:, :4diddy:, :4wario:and :4bowser:!

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Probably the heavyweights like :4bowser:,:4charizard:,:4dedede:,:4ganondorf:, and :4dk:. They're basically combo food. Arcthunder and Arcfire galore.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As a person who likes to use customizations, I guess messing around with the defensive customs tends to feel amusing for me.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Fast Fallers.
just gimme 3 dtilts and the KO and I'm good.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
My favorite characters to go against are normally the ones I don't often see around For Glory, mainly because they maintain that "New" feeling compared to the ones you may see on a constant basis. Sometimes skill doesn't even become a factor depending on the rarity.

However, two of my specific favorites would be:

:4gaw:
I mained Mr. Game & Watch in Brawl, and I absolutely adore the 2D fellow. When I see one pop up in For Glory as he's pretty rare find I get a certain energy flowing in me. Mr. Game & Watch can be pretty fun and even hilarious depending on how you use his attacks with wind boxes. Nothing makes me happier seeing a Mr. Game & Watch try to keep you in the air as long as possible with them.

I know I have that habit, and when I do see one use them like that... Even if I'm the victim to that wind box play I can't help but laugh a little.

:4rob:
I love ROB. I main ROB. Nothing makes me happier finally seeing another on For Glory.

I will say I can become severely disappointed if the ROB player I find is very lousy, and I become more upset rather than happy. When I do find one that knows what they're doing my happiness level rises pretty high. I honestly wish I can face more ROBs on For Glory.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Oh, and I also forgot to mention people who double me on FG. It's fun to show who's the most skilled with a certain character.

cpm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cpm001
3DS FC
0705-4380-2066
Switch FC
sw-0519-8110-5525
I like to go up against bowser.

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Any character that can rarely spam anything (Outside of the scrubby C-stick spammers). To me that means characters like :4dk:, :4metaknight: (especially post-nerf), :4lucina:/:4marth:, :4jigglypuff:, :4palutena:, :4feroy:, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean that I hate BnB combos or get annoyed when a character approaches with only dash grab because they have lousy approaches to begin with. I'm talking about Projectile Spammers, "Side B" spammers (a la :4sonic:, :4bowserjr:, :4wario:, etc) and The character that seem to have only one move that people think is godly want to use online in every situation, even if it isn't gonna work. I'm talking to you, all you Dair-ing Kirby's and Shoryuken happy Ryu's. Fool me once, yada, yada, yada.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
:4ness:

Get him offstage once, and Villager becomes Percy Jackson (if you know what I mean ;) )

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4dedede:, by far. Both of my mains utterly wreck him and playing around with him is really fun.
Fighting:4falcon:as:4gaw:is pretty fun in my experience, since G&W's disjoints let him challenge Falcon easily and he's a fastfaller, and G&W loves those. Also, gimps. I also like the:4ryu:matchup quite a bit for some of the same reasons.
:4pacman:isn't that common, and it's always a joy to face a good one.:4bowserjr:and:4greninja:also fall into this category.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about:4ness:and:4lucas:. Yeah, getting them with a windbox during offstage PK Thunder and then watching them either fruitlessly fall to their death or end up launching themselves in the complete wrong direction is always hilarious.

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
:4dk:. Big hit boxes and fun to spike.

:4falco:. Really love Falco dittos since I can improve on my own Falco.

:rosalina:. When you kill the Luma in FG, most of the time Rosa will just run around trying to stall and when you kill the Luma enough, they just rage quit. Seriously though Rosa players, learn to play without the Luma.

:4samus:. I play Falco. I have a reflector. Enough said.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Then again... I guess I could say that Bowser Jr. is fun to play against... I think.

:rosalina:. When you kill the Luma in FG, most of the time Rosa will just run around trying to stall and when you kill the Luma enough, they just rage quit. Seriously though Rosa players, learn to play without the Luma.
I didn't know Rosa players like us did that. Honestly, I just like using her so much that losing is a second thought in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
:4samus:. I play Falco. I have a reflector. Enough said.
LOL, I enjoy abusing Pocket myself (same thing with Cape before I picked up Villager)! What is Samus, a projectile-heavy character, against characters that can reflect projectiles, absorb projectiles, or steal projectiles out of the air?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn't know Rosa players like us did that. Honestly, I just like using her so much that losing is a second thought in my head.
I don't. Every time Luma dies, I keep fighting even if it means dying myself.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
What about Villager and his Percy-Jackson-style edgeguarding? ^w^
Since I am so used to Killager and I play Killagers often I just find it a chore to play against him. Yes, offstage is horrid but onstage is very tolerable.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Since I am so used to Killager and I play Killagers often I just find it a chore to play against him. Yes, offstage is horrid but onstage is very tolerable.
Eh, true. I always have to put effort into getting Ness offstage and trying to hit him out of his jump. And when I do get them off easily, I sometimes forget to release a previously-pocketed PK Thunder and screw the edgeguard up. >.<

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
This, it's so fun to edge gaurd Ness with Falco. :p
I think sniping the PK Thunder with a laser would be really damn hype. Like a Pocket edgeguard times twenty. Or you could just shine it and try to throw Ness off ;)

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Probably Fox is fun for me. He's simply just a cool character that I can't hate fighting.

I also enjoy fighting Ike. Whenever he uses Aether by the ledge, it feels so good to KO him with Toad!

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
Captain Falcon. He doesn't have annoying super armor like ganon or little mac. He has no projectiles so he won't run away and spam. He has no moves to charge up like limit break so he won't stall out. Matches with Falcon typically play faster so it's more enjoyable (I consider sm4sh to play kind of slowly in general) and you can actually edge guard falcon to a certain extent. He's also decent so it's not a super easy matchup.
Pretty much just falcons don't play lame because doesn't have the kit to be lame.

D

Deleted member 269706

Anyone I consider honest. Falcon ususally comes to my mind first. No BS, no lame play, just solid fundamentals. Don't have a problem with most characters tbh, but Falcon is one of the few who I can really have a good time against.

Spookghetti

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkeletonScammer
Luigis are pretty fun to play against here.

Also, clouds when their not spamming attacks and relying entirely on their neutral B (( I think its their neutral B? ))

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Some of my favorite matches depend on different circumstances. Let's see here.

I like playing against someone who has skill; so someone who uses :4lucina: and :4marth:. There's a lot that I can gain from learning new skills and set-ups they use that I don't even know about. I also commend :4falcon: and :4feroy: players if I can feel the pressure game being applied.

If I want a challenge, I turn to :4mewtwo: and :4ryu:. Those two are dangerous in the right hands and I love going off in an intense match. Too bad most of them leave right after that match but oh well.

I can never go wrong with :4darkpit:, :4drmario:, :4lucas:, :4gaw: or :4pit:. None of the moves are being spammed, aren't good enough to form into some repetition. All of them I play against play fair.

Also :4corrin: and :4link: if they don't bull**** me with the projectile spam.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I really like playing against Ganondorf, because it feels so high-stakes. Dance around him and attack safely or die immediately. And I also like fighting the Pits, both because I use Dark Pit and nobody else seems to, and they're just such honest, fundamentals-driven characters.

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
Honestly playing against a good Captain Falcon is so much fun. Even if i get my ass handed to me, it's so much fun to be part of that hype.

In terms of a good match-up tho? Probably DK and Bowser. Approaching them with Lucas is super easy, not to mention they're easy to spike with his b-air.

Last edited:

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
:4bowser:. Most Bowsers I fight on For Glory like to Down B a lot. I especially like it when they're at 80%. Just use your dang Down B already so I can Counter it and win. >:[

I like fighting a good :4ganondorf:, though. I mean like the Ganondorfs that don't try to go for "disrespect" every 5 seconds. Same with :4falcon:.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
:4bowser:. Most Bowsers I fight on For Glory like to Down B a lot. I especially like it when they're at 80%. Just use your dang Down B already so I can Counter it and win. >:[

I like fighting a good :4ganondorf:, though. I mean like the Ganondorfs that don't try to go for "disrespect" every 5 seconds. Same with :4falcon:.
Heh, :4bowser: players do need to learn how to mix up their options. If you get them in the air, chances are they will try for a shield break with :GCD::GCB:.

As for :4falcon: and :4ganondorf:, you are totally right. FG Montages of them disrespecting are like Vines: they affect their viewers behavior in absurd ways.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
My favorite characters to play against are :4sheik: and :4metaknight:.

Top Bottom