• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character in Smash 64 fits my playstyle the most?

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Hey all, I'm a primary Smash 4 player but I'm trying to slowly get into the other smash games. But something that has always been a challenge for me is finding a main. So I'm trying to point out my playstyle so people who know more about this game can help me find out which character synchronizes with my playstyle the most. (Fun fact: these are listed from most important to least important (top to bottom) )

I prefer playing with very low risk, and I don't mind a downside in reward for doing so. I want to be safe and not have to go for too many risks to do my stuff. Put simply, low risk and medium reward > high risk high reward.

I really prefer having a really good neutral game over a good punish game (I know both are important, but i mean I want to play a character that can get a lot of hits in a game rather than play a character that can get a few really good hits.)
I recognize that in smash 64 almost every character is known for an amazing punish game, so I guess I'll just try the characters that are the closest to having a better neutral.

I am mostly passive but a little on the aggressive side, I am aware that in this game it's better to be a little defensive since a single hit can lead to so much, so I guess I'll have to be more passively defensive. But I can switch back in forth between being aggresive and defensive when need be.

I also prefer being pretty optimal, I like characters with a flowcharty type of playstyle so I can clearly know what move to use at what time. I can live without a flowchart playstyle though, but it'll always be nice.

I also don't really care for big heavy and slow characters, so I guess that knocks out Donkey kong.

Also note that how technical/hard the character is doesn't matter too much to me.

If anybody wants to get a better idea of what playstyle I'm looking for, I try to be the most like ZeRo's Diddy in Smash 4 (Diddy is my main in sm4sh by the way) so if you know a lot about sm4sh as well then know that I am pretty similar to his playstyle.

Ælude

Smash Cadet
Pika is low risk (and no downside)

Pika has one of the best, maybe the best? Neutral. Maybe its kirby iunno. Its damn good anyway. (a savage punish game too)

Pika is optimal

Pika can be pretty technical if you choose, or virtually non existent too.

Pika is the diddy of 64 (but with the best recovery to boot)

Fun fact: (since you like them) If ZeRo played 64 competitively he would main pika.

Last edited:

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
Ye I thought either Kirby or Pika would be the better picks, but I was unsure. I'll definitely check them out!

Top Bottom