• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where to buy gc controller?

Sponer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shane44567
Dunno if im in the right section sorry if im not but my gamecube controller just broke and ive had it since it first came out and i have no idea where to get one like it and anyone ive asked about the new ones that came out say that they are not as good? Need some help here cause my gamepad broke and i need my daily dose of smash D:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I have an old one and a new one and they seem the same to me. You can buy the new ones at any gamestop or online. As far as getting an old used gamecube controller if you want to go that route there's always ebay.

Sponer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shane44567
I have an old one and a new one and they seem the same to me. You can buy the new ones at any gamestop or online. As far as getting an old used gamecube controller if you want to go that route there's always ebay.
I heard alot of people saying the sticks were stiffer on the new controller but if they are same then ill just get a new one, thanks for the help ^^

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I have seen a few on craigslist in my area... but GC controller is the kind of thing that I don't want to buy used without testing. Often though it is sold as a bundle with a system and games that I don't want... but garage sale type stuff is always hit or miss even online.

Often new original ones are sold now as collectors items... the whole "mint in box" thing... and cost $100+. I guess if you are a video game collector that is cool... but if you want a toy then probably best to not spend that money.

If you are so inclined you may be able to find some spare parts... but there seem to be a lot less people selling GC thumb sticks than N64 ones... the caps are a plenty the actual mechanism that goes inside the controller is really hard to find... and expensive enough where I question if it is worth the gamble that I do something wrong and find my money wasted.

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
I will be honest. The sticks are actually pretty good on the new one. Honestly, they are actually more loose. I had to get a tri-wing screwdriver to open it up and make the sticks tighter, but everyone I know that plays smash thinks they're fine. I think you should definitely get one.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I heard alot of people saying the sticks were stiffer on the new controller but if they are same then ill just get a new one, thanks for the help ^^
Just buy one from gamestop, try it out for a couple hours. If you don't like the sticks you can always return it. The stiffness on the controller is bound to be a little different if we're talking a controller that has 5+ years of wear verses a brand new one.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am seeing quite a few on ebay... but most are 3rd party. I have yet to have a positive long term experience with a 3rd party controller but if anyone ever finds a good GC controller that is cheap please enlighten us.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
http://astore.amazon.com/smashboards00-20/detail/B0017KIBAI You can order the official white Nintendo Gamecube controller through Smashboard's Amazon store - this actually helps support the website here. This GameCube controller has a super long cord. You can also go to your local GameStop and they should carry the Smash 4 GameCube controllers, which are also very nice.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Are gamecube controllers region locked? If i got a japan one would it work in my USA Wii U?

Sponer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shane44567
You guys seem helpful so im gonna ask, my gamepad isnt completely broken but i cant dash left or use smash attacks to the left with out it fully charging, on any other game it seems to work perfect but i assume its because in smash you can slowly walk depending on how you move the stick. Is this something i could fix at home or do i need to have it repaired by a pro?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
You guys seem helpful so im gonna ask, my gamepad isnt completely broken but i cant dash left or use smash attacks to the left with out it fully charging, on any other game it seems to work perfect but i assume its because in smash you can slowly walk depending on how you move the stick. Is this something i could fix at home or do i need to have it repaired by a pro?
I have no 1st hand experience but I seem to remember replacement thumbsticks being sold... whether or not they work, how hard they are to install, etc... I don't know.

If you can find a pro to fix it that may be worth it... but if the choice is spend $150 on a new one or gamble $10 on your ability to repair it... might be worth it... but I don't know. Personally I don't trust my skills enough to do something like that.

Find someone who knows what they are talking about (not me in other wrods) before you try anything would be my suggestion.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Controllers are region free.

I bought an official smash gamecube controller from Amiami for under $20 Australian. Absolutely no issues, took 2 weeks to arrive.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
I have no 1st hand experience but I seem to remember replacement thumbsticks being sold... whether or not they work, how hard they are to install, etc... I don't know.

If you can find a pro to fix it that may be worth it... but if the choice is spend $150 on a new one or gamble $10 on your ability to repair it... might be worth it... but I don't know. Personally I don't trust my skills enough to do something like that.

Find someone who knows what they are talking about (not me in other wrods) before you try anything would be my suggestion.
If you have a Wii nunchuk, you own a replacement stick. I took the stick out of one of those and put it in my Gamecube controller, and it works perfectly. It's a little taller than the stock GC stick, but that's about it. Besides, that extra size is actually an improvement if you have larger hands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom