• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where Do I Start?

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I've been playing Smash 4 competitively and going to as many tournaments in my area as possible, but I'm getting bored of it.

So I'm making the risky but hopefully rewarding decision of switching to Melee. While I don't plan to enter tournaments until after summer to allow myself time to practice tech skill, I do still want to learn as much as possible. I know there's a vast wealth of information available regarding the game and Sheik (who I plan to main as shine-based characters in PM were always difficult to me). However, I'm having a bit of trouble finding all the potential information out there... I'm hoping to find a whole bunch of stuff I could print out and organize into a binder of some kind. So far I have Plairnkk's guide, the match up thread, and Smashlounge's Sheik page. Are there any other good resources I could utilize to start improving my Sheik? I've only been playing the game for a few days, but following it competitively for a long time.

Any and all help is appreciated! A lot of people in the Melee community have already been great, so thanks in advance for any advice or resources you can direct me to.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Welcome to the game of cancels! In melee you can outspeed your opponent by doing more exploits than him.
1st order of business is to learn WD exploit - the mother of all exploits! This is so OP because you can slide smoothly across the stage and if you are fast enough then you can actually move forward while doing a jab.

2nd tip: by learning the Shino stall you can abuse the intangibility from the ledge and thereby instantly win any match.
You simply throw a needle at your opponent and then Wave Dash all the way back to the ledge and camp it for the rest of the match. GGWP

Welcome to Melee and Sheik. This is where all the moneys are!

EDIT: Alright joke's over. The content and tone of this post was purely in the spirit of yesterday. I am saying so because if anyone reads it later on, it might seem out of place and confusing.

As for tips for starting out with Sheik and Melee I'd say read alot on here and watch alot of videos.

Also, as good as the trial videos are they are still missing the basic fundamentals that is melee wide. And that is at least as important as character specifics.

Apart from that you also got character control. Moving and being comfortable on the stage, around platforms and on the ledge.

So I guess my biggest tip is knowing that you have alot ahead of you and that it's gonna take a while to learn it all. Read and watch guides then come back any time with specific questions and we'll be happy to help you out!

Welcome aboard

Last edited:
Top Bottom