• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When we get DLC for this game, how do you think it will be handled?

zferolie

Smash Hero
We are going to be getting DLC for this game. There is no If about it. Smash 4 had DLC, and since this smash game is so early in the switch's life span, they would be crazy to not support the game post launch. The question is how they are going to do it. Lets look at how some other games, fighting games in particular) have done DLC so far in recent years.

1. Injustice 2/MKX: They had a season pass, that released about 6 or so characters.

2. MvCI: Only released 4 fighters in 2 packs before quiting fully.

3. Tekken 7: Released 1 new character every 2-3 months

4. DBF: has done 2 fighters per pack, 4 times so far.

5. BB cross Tag Battle: Released half the cast as DLC

6. SF5. Has done multiple Season Passes, 1 a year about, to fill out out the rest of its inital poor roster.

Each had its pros and cons. I myself feel like Smash Ultimate should take the SF5 route, combined with the DBF route. I think how SF5 did it is the future of how fighting games should do its DLC. The problem with SF5 was that so much of the past roster was sold back to us which left a sour taste in peoples mouths. Ultimate has the full past roster, so that problem is gone, leaving only the positives. The system promotes a LONG game life, having multiple seasons for multiple characters, its a nice steady drip flow of content to keep people invested, and the price could be quite reasonable.

Speaking of price, its hard to say for sure till the give us more about Nintendos online service, but I think this smash season pass should be sold at a discount for online accounts, half off. Nintendo is already pushing to be the cheaper alternitive to the other systems, give a bigger deal as a reward for that.

That being said, I did say it should be a mix of SF5 and DBF. the DBF part is where its not 1 character per release, but 3. 1 unique, 1 echo, and a Stage. The stage could be one of the missing ones still. or a new one

The amount of packs per season should be just 3. if doing the amount of characters said, thats 3 new and echos a year. I can see nintendo supporting this game for at least 3 years, for 9 new comers and echos over that period of time.

So for an example of this idea, I'll go with how I feel this would work. Gonna say I feel the base game will have 84, with 6 more newcomers(Geno, Banjo and Kazzoie, Shantae, Elma, An Pokemon, and a Retro) and 7 more echos(Isabelle, Shadow, Black Shadow, Ms Pac Man, Ken/Akuma, Medusa, and Dixie Kong) coming. As such here will be the first 4 seasons (I can see some assist trophies becoming playable via DLC, but not sure if they will do that, so I'll be putting AT characters next to other choices for the 2 I pick).

Season 1:

Pack 1:
Newcomer: Issac
Echo: Felix/Matthew(Issac)
Stage: Venus Tower

Pack 2:
Newcomer: Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Echo: Impa(Shiek)
Stage: Xenoblade 2 Themed

Pack 3:
Newcomer: Spring Man
Echos: Ribbon girl(Spring Man)
Stage: Cinema Duex

Season 2:

Pack 1:
Newcomer: Lloyd(Tales of)
Echos: Octolings(Inklings)
Stage: Tales of Symphonia Theme

Pack 2:
Newcomer: Gardevior
Echos: Gothitella(gardevoir)
Stage: Pokefloats

Pack 3:
Newcomer: Lip
Echos: Flare(Lip)
Stage: Flower Land

Season 3:

Pack 1:
Newcomer: Chorus Kids
Echos: Tetra(Toon Link)
Stage: Rythem Heaven mash up(simular to wario ware)

Pack 2:
Newcomer: Ashley/Sylux
Echos:Brittany(Olimar)
Stage: Pac Man Smash 3ds

Pack 3:
Newcomer: Sami
Echo: Andy(Sami)
Stage: Advanced Wars theme

Season 4

Pack 1:
Newcomer: Waluigi/Gen 8 Pokemon
Echo: Dry Bowser(Bowser)
Stage: Rainbow Road DS

Pack 2:
Newcomer: Paper Mario
Echo: Doc Louis(Little Mac)
Stage:Rogue Town

Pack 3:
Newcomer: Rayman
Echo: Jeanne(Bayonetta, change her Jeanne alt outfit)
Stage: Mario + Raving Rabids stage

So thats how feel DLC would work for in this game. How about you guys? Think we'll get a long supply of DLC, or short like just a season? Multiple packs, or 1 character or stage at a time? Something else?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think it will be just like Wii U/3DS where they release 1 character at a time at like $5-6 a piece (maybe like a $1 off if you're a Nintendo Switch Online subscriber) and I feel we will probably get the same amount we got in Wii U/3DS. So about 7 DLC characters (including echoes). I also think since the Ultimate roster will be mostly fan requests I think all the DLC will be the "relevant promotional picks"

1. ARMS rep

2. Rex & Pyra

3. Octolings

4. Daemon X Machina character

5. Edelgard, or Dimitri, or Claude to represent Fire Emblem: Three Houses

6. Rabbid Peach

7. Sylux (for Metroid Prime 4)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think it will be just like Wii U/3DS where they release 1 character at a time at like $5-6 a piece (maybe like a $1 off if you're a Nintendo Switch Online subscriber) and I feel we will probably get the same amount we got in Wii U/3DS. So about 7 DLC characters (including echoes). I also think since the Ultimate roster will be mostly fan requests I think all the DLC will be the "relevant promotional picks"

1. ARMS rep

2. Rex & Pyra

3. Octolings

4. Daemon X Machina character

5. Edelgard, or Dimitri, or Claude to represent Fire Emblem: Three Houses

6. Rabbid Peach

7. Sylux (for Metroid Prime 4)
That does sound like a reasonable idea. Seems a little short though to me, seeing how we probably not getting another smash till the next system

Totally forgot about Sylux though. good idea

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure who will be added, but I think there might be seasons of DLC a-la other fighting games. Considering Ultimate will probably be one of, if not THE most successful Smash game to date, i'm guessing there'll be some bits of DLC to keep some new stuff being put in over the next couple years. I'm guessing it just might be different to the Wii U version because that version didn't sell as well as others (rip ;~;)

I could be totally wrong tho! Although my dumb hope for this is that for the second wave of DLC, they do "Smash Ballot 2" and figure out what characters they can get from that.

I totally wouldn't mind DLC echo fighters, I'd prefer them to Mii costumes, but I don't use the mii fighters really, so yeah. That!

Also what would be cool is if they added some free downloadable extra music for the game. Prolly not.

Maybe they'll just do a big expansion thing like the Octo Expansion, who knows!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
That does sound like a reasonable idea. Seems a little short though to me, seeing how we probably not getting another smash till the next system

Totally forgot about Sylux though. good idea
I don't think that's short at all. Considering we are already at what 70 characters or something like that (including echoes) that's already a bigger roster than most fighting games (hell it might be THE biggest) and we STILL have more to come before DLC. Not to mention Sakurai has stated in the past it takes time to develop characters, as well as rebalance the whole game and then adding yet another copy ability/costume to Kirby. Remember the DLC for Smash started in late 2014 when they started to develop Mewtwo and it ended early 2016. That took a total of almost 2 years for 7 characters (3 of which were vets). Granted Wii U DLC had a smaller team as Ultimate started development in 2015 so a lot of the resources were split. Not to say they can't get characters developed quicker nowadays once the game wraps development but I highly doubt it as most of the team at Namco will move onto other projects leaving the team small again.

Not to mention we have to stop and ask ourselves "how much is enough?" like seriously as stated above we have 70 characters and most fan favorites are on the way due to ballot picks we've already seen it with Simon, Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy, and Ridley. Sakurai has been working on Smash non-stop with the team damn near since 2013. If we didn't get any DLC for this game I'd be completely content the game is already jam-packed as is and IMO well exceeds the $60 value price. If we even DO get DLC (we probably will) I hope Sakurai/team takes like a 6 month to year vacation then come back and start working on DLC characters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm of the mind that they'll continue adding Echo fighters, but as "deal sweeteners".

For example, bringing back the Woolly World stage and it comes with Yarn Yoshi as an echo of the not yarn Yoshi.

link Г

Smash Rookie
The idea of seasons sounds good, with one or two new characters, one or two echoes, a new stage and a few music tracks in each pack.

Them bringing back Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy for Smash 4 was widely appreciated, so promoting assist trophies to fighters would be a good idea this time around, as well as bringing in someone like Banjo as Ultimate's never-ever-Cloud-character. As a bonus they could even throw in some fighters as assists that can show up when they're not being used. Nintendo, Sakurai and his team would be stupid not to continue to support this game and bring in characters high in demand, they could be sitting on a gold mine if they do this right. I don't even want any more Smash games after this, just continue supporting this and really make it the ultimate game.

Mii costumes and maybe even new unique skins for the other characters (Sunshine Mario, boxing DK, Samus' different suits) could be sold separately for a low price outside of the packs, people would eat that up.

The last thing I want is characters put in just to shill and advertise, but at the end of the day people would still buy the DLC if all they got was the cowboy from 1-2 Switch, a goomba and more Corrins haha.

Some suggestions.

Pack 1, the Camelot/Hudson Pack:
Newcomer: Waluigi, and either Isaac if he's not in the base game or Bomberman
Echo: Felix (Isaac)
Stage: Waluigi Pinball which could be a travelling stage through the course incorporating the balls as stage hazards in some way, and/or Venus Lighthouse or any other Golden Sun location
New assist: Mario shooting fire balls or something (or why not Fire Mario if they actually did remove that skin)

Pack 2, Fire Emblem pack:
Newcomer: Lyn, or if they want to be that way they could add a Three Houses character here
Echo: Any FE character with the same weapon and body type as the newcomer they choose
Stage: Any location
New assist: Marth or Tiki or whatever
(I really don't want this)

Pack 3, ARMS pack:
Newcomer: Spring Man
Echo: Ribbon Girl (Spring Man)
Stage: Any ARMS stage
New assist: Helix or the return of Little Mac
(could be used to promote a new physical release of ARMS with all DLC included)

Pack 4, Halloween pack:
Newcomer: Alucard and Ashley
Stage: Big Boo's Haunt, a transforming stage with the interior and exterior of the mansion and the merry-go-round, the piano is a stage hazard
New assist: Dark Samus returns

Pack 5, Zelda pack:
Newcomer: Skull Kid (though I bet he's in, in that case Impa as a unique fighter or tingle)
Echo: Impa (Sheik)
Stage: Clock Town or any Sheikah location
New assist: If Skull Kid's in, he returns, otherwise some BotW champion or something
(could be used to promote a new physical release of BotW with all DLC included)

Pack 6:
Newcomer: Rex and/or a gen 8 pokémon as advertisement
Echo: Jeanne (Bayonetta)
Stage: any xeno or bayo stage
(I don't want this either)

And finish off with Banjo instead of another Corrin anti-climax.
Newcomer: Banjo & Kazooie
Echo: would probably sell well enough without an echo to sweeten the deal
Stage: Any location
New assist: Mumbo or Gruntilda

Just some ideas, and the only things I actually want here is Waluigi, Impa, Isaac and maybe Banjo. Take notes Reggie!!!

Top Bottom