• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to prioritize Luigi's DAIR?

StevoPhilo

Smash Rookie
So I always understood the concept of using DAIR to spike, but I notice high level players like Boss using it on stage randomly.

So I guess my question is why use DAIR onstage over NAIR or FAIR? When should one use DAIR in comparison. Is it used to keep the opponent close at higher percents? Is it more of a defensive option over the other 2?

I rarely find myself using it unless I need to spike.

Last edited:

Accidental

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-2604-8969
Dair can be used in a pillaring tech alongside dthrow. Dthrow > dair > fastfall to grab. If they dont influence it, you can rack up a ton of damage. Stops working after 35%, but you can finish with 2 fairs and a dtilt if they dont know how to get out

StevoPhilo

Smash Rookie
Dair can be used in a pillaring tech alongside dthrow. Dthrow > dair > fastfall to grab. If they dont influence it, you can rack up a ton of damage. Stops working after 35%, but you can finish with 2 fairs and a dtilt if they dont know how to get out
I've seen this before, but I've also seen Boss just randomly throw it out mid match well past the 35% mark. This is why I was asking.

BakaFlocka

Smash Rookie
NNID
BakaFlocka
I personally use dair on stage for coverage. If I think someone will roll into me, I short hop dair. If my sh dair whiifs, I still have the option of throwing out a fair or nair to cover if they try to approach.

I'm pretty sure I've used dairs to make my opponent miss a tech and start a tech chase, as well.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty safe to throw out. Very low risk, good reward. It's not something to want to get predictable with, but it puts out a hitbox that can nail an opponent and set them up for some mean follow ups.

S0 B00sted

Smash Cadet
Premium
I've seen this before, but I've also seen Boss just randomly throw it out mid match well past the 35% mark. This is why I was asking.
Part of it is probably just to mix things up and maintain unpredictability.

Asuptavay

Smash Rookie
I use it for punishing impatience on their approach. For example, if a captain falcon's sick of my fireballs and tries to dash attack/grab they'll miss and get hit by the dair

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
When it comes to creating space, I find myself using the Down+B rather than the spike dropkick. I've only used the DAIR for spiking, though the timing is a bit different than most I've used that have a similar technique style.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
So I always understood the concept of using DAIR to spike, but I notice high level players like Boss using it on stage randomly.

So I guess my question is why use DAIR onstage over NAIR or FAIR? When should one use DAIR in comparison. Is it used to keep the opponent close at higher percents? Is it more of a defensive option over the other 2?

I rarely find myself using it unless I need to spike.
Dair has really useful auto-cancel frames. It's important for the Dthrow > Dair chain grab. in the vid I botched the 3rd Dair.

buffered Fair > buffered Dair, auto cancels > buffered grab

for example; An auto-canceled Dair > buffered jab is safe from shield-grabs (almost, there's a 4 frame window to input a Grab if you don't Fast fall autocanceled Dair)

Also it can hit shorter characters where fair can't

Your luigi can be much more smooth and mobile and apply more pressure on the ground.
If you have very good vertical spacing Dair is insanely good on stage, and if you observe boss it's amazing.

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
Dair is actually really good. Low lag, people are expecting a fair or Nair, and if you land the spike and they don't tech they bounce back up and you get a Sweet spot Nair. Dakpo uses the dair spike into Nair out of dthrow, you can check it out on tourney locator.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I usually use the dthrow > x2 fair to rack up dmg up to around 40-50% depending on the character. Then Ill shoot for a dthrow> dair spike > then either nair or bair depending on how confident I am in the sweet spot.

Also, shooting for dthrow > x2 dair spike > up b at 60-70% is fun for style points haha.

Top Bottom