• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to Dair?

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
I have mostly been using it out of shield, or sometimes in a combo, but other than that I don't reallynknow when to use it. Any suggestions?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
it's good to pressure shields. it's obviously good out of shield, it's a really good option when they are near y and you are preditinb a gra .

otherwise, as you know it's good in combos. it's also god for gra bing the smash ball

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
use is on approach and end it so that the last couple of hits connect behind their sheild so you can get a hit/grab if they try to sheild grab you. use it off the stage to interrupt upb's (especially when they do it below the stage) and turn em into gimps/capes. use it offstage to meet someone coming back to the stage from the air. sometimes u can get good reads with a dair if they jump and then you'll connect with it to send em up for the ko. be creative

edit: also, use it from the ledge, but make sure you hit the stage when the last hit comes out since it sends em upward. it can catch unsuspecting people offguard

Last edited:

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I don't know how effective it is, but if my opponent is trying to return back to the stage from the top (not the corners), and they have been conditioned to air dodge if I jump to approach them, Dair has enough active frames to hit them at the end of their air dodge invincibility.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
When you find out, I'd like to know! It's pretty laggy if you get caught near the ground at the end of it, so when applying shield pressure it may not be worth it, since they can grab you in your lag frames--That is, unless you try to apply pressure and short hop to their backs and they don't pivot you. It also doesn't take priority over anything I've faced against. Maybe it'll be a good move to wait people out for during an air dodge on a low ceiling, as it may send people higher than your up air? (Similar to Luigi/Doc's down+B?).
I hardly ever use this move because of how risky it is to use it, but I would like to use it more so I can be less predictable!

Edit: Upon testing in training mode, using Mario's uptilt on an opponent (Zelda in this case--Random CPU), and following up with a Dair KOs at around 112%-115%, which is fairly early for any of Mario's attacks, as the only attack that will kill below that is is F smash. You could also carry them upwards should they air dodge after an up tilt, and you wait them out a bit...It doesn't combo well if they have good DI, but it's definitely possible! As a quick note of reference, this is significantly earlier than his Uair would kill, as that won't KO until around 140% or even 150%...If not more on some heavyweights!

Last edited:

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
When your opponent Roll dodge near you or Air dodge during a short jump.

(If low Damage)During Short jump, fastfall Dair, dash Dgrab,Utilt x2...
Its actually funny cause even high Damage(ex: 105%) you can still setup a grab after a fast fall dair.

Top Bottom