• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Ninjitsu just won't cut it.

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
Hey there all you fellow greninja mains! I want to know what matchups you hate, and which ones you love. What stages do you prefer and why? Things of that nature. Discuss!

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Hmm. Well there's a lot of match ups I hate, but I don't know if it's Greninja specific or just be personally, but, the ones I don't like and don't only struggle in are Villager, Pit/Dark Pit, Yoshi, and Olimar. I enjoy fighting sheik surprisingly because it's a fast paced match. I don't really prefer a specific stage, I'll play on any legal stage, although Duck Hunt and Lylat I don't like, especially lylat lol. My favorite stage to counter pick is delfino tho.

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
For me playing against spacing based characters and olimar is really annoying, as they slow down the pace of the match.

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
Most of the top tiers are annoying in their own way, but manageable. Combo monsters like Pikachu and Sheik are frustrating but once the threat of their early strings is gone it's not so bad. Shadow Sneak helps with getting loose from some tilt combos. Rosalina, Sonic, and Diddy all force you to play their game, but it's just something you have to deal with. I think for myself though, I have the hardest time with some of the heavier characters.

Bowser, Charizard, and D3 all take forever to KO and have amazing edgeguarding. I mean, you can land strings and strings on Bowser but even at 100% he's going to be able to abuse rage while still not be in KO range. And all of them have longer reach, especially on their grabs (Charizard's being the longest non-tether in the game), while Greninja's grab is terribly slow. Bowser has great range on his tilts, and D3's disjointed hammer is like hitting and being hit by a brick wall. And with the nerf to Water Shuriken's recovery, it's a lot harder to poke them from a safe distance. Flare Blitz can just plow right through Shuriken and you might not even have time to shield. And of course Rock Smash is a super fast, high damage, armored combo breaker. It probably doesn't help much that these 3 characters are mained by some of the best players I regularly play with.

I think my least favorite matchup is against ROB, however. It just feels frustrating to me, and, at least for me, he's hard to KO. ROB players always say that his weaknesses are his large hurtbox and his recovery, but I have a hard time as Greninja trying to take advantage of these supposed weaknesses. I'm really at a loss in that matchup.

For the other heavies, Megaman isn't too bad although his grab is fantastic. DK and Ganondorf are definitely much more in Greninja's favor.

It seems weird to think that a fast character would have trouble with the slow heavies, but then again Greninja's frame data is sort of all over the place. Him being lightweight and having kind of odd KO potential doesn't help against characters that can basically triple his damage output with one move and that can really get the most out of rage.

That's just me, though.

Schaggy

Smash Rookie
Sonic, Rosalina, and Deedee are just the worst for me. Spacing is the biggest problem with the last two and Sonic makes me cringe in general

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Most of the top tiers are annoying in their own way, but manageable. Combo monsters like Pikachu and Sheik are frustrating but once the threat of their early strings is gone it's not so bad. Shadow Sneak helps with getting loose from some tilt combos. Rosalina, Sonic, and Diddy all force you to play their game, but it's just something you have to deal with. I think for myself though, I have the hardest time with some of the heavier characters.

Bowser, Charizard, and D3 all take forever to KO and have amazing edgeguarding. I mean, you can land strings and strings on Bowser but even at 100% he's going to be able to abuse rage while still not be in KO range. And all of them have longer reach, especially on their grabs (Charizard's being the longest non-tether in the game), while Greninja's grab is terribly slow. Bowser has great range on his tilts, and D3's disjointed hammer is like hitting and being hit by a brick wall. And with the nerf to Water Shuriken's recovery, it's a lot harder to poke them from a safe distance. Flare Blitz can just plow right through Shuriken and you might not even have time to shield. And of course Rock Smash is a super fast, high damage, armored combo breaker. It probably doesn't help much that these 3 characters are mained by some of the best players I regularly play with.

I think my least favorite matchup is against ROB, however. It just feels frustrating to me, and, at least for me, he's hard to KO. ROB players always say that his weaknesses are his large hurtbox and his recovery, but I have a hard time as Greninja trying to take advantage of these supposed weaknesses. I'm really at a loss in that matchup.

For the other heavies, Megaman isn't too bad although his grab is fantastic. DK and Ganondorf are definitely much more in Greninja's favor.

It seems weird to think that a fast character would have trouble with the slow heavies, but then again Greninja's frame data is sort of all over the place. Him being lightweight and having kind of odd KO potential doesn't help against characters that can basically triple his damage output with one move and that can really get the most out of rage.

That's just me, though.
Yeah I also hate fighting rob

Top Bottom