• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When are you actually supposed to use Fair to the ground?

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
One thing that many novice Rosalina players do is fall to the ground while Fairing, which can be shield grabbed, and has a ton of landing lag.
So I generally avoid using it.
Problem is..... I DON'T KNOW WHEN TO USE IT NOW!
When is the most optimal time to use Forward Air when falling to the stage?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If you use fair 7 frames or less before landing, Rosalina will land without lag (since the attack hasn't even come out yet) but Luma will still do its own version. So that's a thing you can do.

Note that Luma's fair hits opponents up, not forward. It's weird but I think it's so that it doesn't knock people out of Rosalina's multihit when they're linked.

If you do it "normally" but simply land before Rosalina's final hit comes out, the knockback is weird and can lead to interesting followups but IDK if any of them are reliable. Needless to say it's super unsafe on whiff or block.

Last edited:

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
If you use fair 7 frames or less before landing, Rosalina will land without lag (since the attack hasn't even come out yet) but Luma will still do its own version. So that's a thing you can do.

Note that Luma's fair hits opponents up, not forward. It's weird but I think it's so that it doesn't knock people out of Rosalina's multihit when they're linked.

If you do it "normally" but simply land before Rosalina's final hit comes out, the knockback is weird and can lead to interesting followups but IDK if any of them are reliable. Needless to say it's super unsafe on whiff or block.
I should have specified just Rosalina. I know Lunar Landed Fair is a hell of a lot more viable. Yea, just Rosalina's Fair, ideally when Luma isn't around

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I've limited to only doing it against taller characters ( Shulk height or so ) because a shorter character like Kirby or Pikachu will simply duck, and then proceed to punish incredibly hard. As far as when to use it, it's my go-to read for when I expect my opponent to leap off the ground and attempt to challenge me air to air, which is usually what they start doing after I've been approaching with the incredibly slow nair option. As someone who loves to tech chase, setting up for one is usually much more profitable than simply landing the nair, and then hoping for a followup.

The down side is landing in the middle of the fair does pitiful damage, as most of the percent is tagged onto the finishing tick. So if you're not getting something off the tech read, it's not worth doing.

Last edited:

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
I like to sometimes sneak it in as a short hop approach or when characters are coming towards me because it can often catch people of guard if they're used to you always using Nair as a spacing option.
Like the person above me said though, I try not to use it against Shorties because that'll usually result in me missing and getting Rekt for it. XP

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
it's best as a punish, it's a bad approach

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Like what people said, use it sparingly as a punish, its a bad approach otherwise, honestly its only main utility is to edge guard opponents who are recovering high, which you can condition them to do if you keep killing them through bair, nair, or dair all the time through edgeguards from down low below the stage. You can also use it to scare off edge guarders when you're recovering.

Last edited:

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
If you use it while landing and your opponent tries to anti-air you or throw out an aerial the fair can for the most part beat it out. Just don't try it on shield, but if you do hold back as the move is coming out as you might make them mess up their punish. One interesting thing about the fair in particular is that if you hit them with it while falling you can fast fall it and you'll hit the ground without the last hit coming out and it'll cancel the lag and force the opponent to the ground giving you the opportunity for a free up-smash.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Short Hop > F-Air > Fast Fall > Jab combo or D-Tilt is a thing that can work.

Also, if you do the above near a ledge without the Jab combo or D-Tilt, I believe it spikes.

XoPachi

Smash Rookie
Short Hop > F-Air > Fast Fall > Jab combo or D-Tilt is a thing that can work.

Also, if you do the above near a ledge without the Jab combo or D-Tilt, I believe it spikes.
^Yes. I also find that as long as someone does not tech the spike, a down smash works brilliantly. I actually use this spike on the ground frequently, though not claiming it's ideal.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
mmmm, in terms of being in the air and landing on stage the only time I actually land with fair is if my opponent is perfectly spaced for it and I don't think their character can punish it. You typically have better options though. Now landing onto stage with it while recovering, that's a different story. It's pretty darn good if you get that read of your opponent running off stage after you. It beats alot of other aerials, and if they end up shielding, the animation is long enough for you to back off.

Top Bottom