• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your finish move?

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
I'm still getting used to SSB4 and changed mechanics of sonic. I still lose a lot of matches though. But the thing is I lose a lot of matches while doing much more damage than my opponents. I evade decently, I attack pretty well I think, my opponents always finish the match 150%+ and I just don’t seem to be able to throw them off limits. And Sonic has a great recovery, I know, but at higher % a strong projectile, falcon moves, sword hits or smash moves beat me very easily.

Running slide throws them more upwards than forward so it never kills anyone; homing attack works sometimes but most of the times they survive; back throw is good but rarely works; front and upsmash are good but the range is so small it’s difficult to achieve safely. I mainly kill by landing the frontsmash or B+up and up attack but good players can avoid it. It’s getting frustrating landing so many more hits and still lose a lot…

My big question is how do you prefer to finish your opponents with high percentage?

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
UAir, USmash, FSmash or BThrow. Occasionally edge guarding with a BAir or well-angled DAir.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
sliding upsmash is my go-to, but upthrow-spring-upair is good too

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
When you say opponents are living til 150%, who do you mean? If it's like ROB or D3 it's kind of unavoidable, but you should be chasing them offstage. If it's like G&W or something, oh dear. I don't really like bairs at all now, think fsmash and bthrow da bess. I know it's not got great range, you've just got to read your opponent and not throw it out and hope.

My favourite is ASC => footstool FF => opponent rolls forward into your fsmash. Too funny.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
When is bair good? For edgeguarding? Don't really use it anywhere else. Most videos of Sonic's I've seen contain very little bair either.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Bair is great as long as you're spacing it. You can't SHFF it anymore but you can still edgeguard or do it from every other distance that isn't from fast falling a short hop. It also loss that amazing disjoint below Sonic's leg, but I think it's slightly more disjointed all around his foot, making rising bairs more of a thing now.

I still go rogue and SHFF Bair sometimes though on hard reads against spotdodges because I'm way past cool and don't want to let go.

:093:

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
When you say opponents are living til 150%, who do you mean? If it's like ROB or D3 it's kind of unavoidable, but you should be chasing them offstage. If it's like G&W or something, oh dear. I don't really like bairs at all now, think fsmash and bthrow da bess. I know it's not got great range, you've just got to read your opponent and not throw it out and hope.

My favourite is ASC => footstool FF => opponent rolls forward into your fsmash. Too funny.
Unfortunately it's with every character... Cap. Falcons, Lucarios, Toon Links, other Sonics, Foxes, MegaMans, Bowsers, Greninjas, etc etc aside from the cases where they play better than me and rightfully win, I get them 150%+ but then it seems that every character has a better/easier knockback move than Sonic.

I gotta say that last night I was more focused and capitalized more on the opponent errors. But still happened a lot. Even though I rarely have lag, I feel than grabs are a bit tougher to perform online, so Bthrows are hard for me. Sliding UPSmash are also hard because I have to be precise and once people star reading sonic they usually don't stay put :)

Last edited:

xShadoFiendx

Smash Rookie
Well if you don't have a jump, I recommend not spindashing when you're off the level. It's horrible lol.. Trust me, I learned the hard way plenty of times. You get stuck in your spindash and plummet towards your death in the most pathetic way possible.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
lol It really is. Even if the opponent doesn't taunt you know they are laughing at how ridiculously you just killed yourself. The thing is when I get hit in the air then when coming back I don't remember if I have a jump left.

xShadoFiendx

Smash Rookie
Yea, and now since our Side B falls like a rock in the air, it's more risky than anything. You gotta break the habit of spindashing back when you're not sure if you're going to make it. Your suicide rate will go down by 90% guaranteed lol. Man that was such a pain in the past, I used to do it all the time.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
fsmash for the most part or bthrow, sometimes upsmash

I've been having a lot of success at fast falling fairs off the edge on recovery lately. That and catching people with bair on recovery too.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Normally I just try to rack up as much damage as possible while throwing out kill moves if I get the chance. All of Sonic's high-knockback moves are fairly difficult to land so it's generally easier to just rack up the extra 50% and backthrow.

Keep in mind I'm awful at the game and only play on For Glory where everybody else is also awful at the game.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
These %'s are just rough guidlines for a middle weight character like Mario as an example. Also these %'s are the %'s before you hit them with the below attack:
FSmash near edge 85%+
Bair near edge 100%+
USmash 110%+
Bthrow near edge 125%+
Nair from spin dash 150%+
FTilt near edge 160%+
Fthrow 165%+
Uair from spin dash 170%+

Obviously if your opponent doesn't air dodge properly, Uair can net kills quite early.

Spring off ledge on many stages is a great edge guard tool against a lot of chars (Rob and Diddy are the biggest victims to this).

Keep in mind that Bair has a sweet spot that launches farther and does more damage. Fair can also kill surprisingly low (around 80%) if you chase far off stage and get it to connect. Fair is also great for gimping chars with mediocre up b recoveries if you can hit them out of their 2nd jump.

Sonic wracks up damage easily and can kill from one of his best approach options (spin dashes). It's normal to get opponents up to 150%+ if both players play quite safe and don't allow Bairs, Usmashes, Bthrows near edges, and FSmashes to hit. However, each Spin Dash combo leads to 12-30% damage along with (sometimes) a follow up for another chance to do 3-30% damage depending on your opponent. However, against reckless opponents, you should be killing them before 140% (Mario).

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
On that point about fairs offstage, I KO'd a Falcon after dthrowing him off edge and fairing him at like 30% today. Obviously didn't DI, but it feels good when it happens. Most characters seem to have either good vertical or horizontal recovery, but not often both together (or none at all lol doc) so it can be legit if you catch them napping.

Last edited:

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
I've had Fair KO as early as 50% (like actually hitting them into the blast zone). You do have to chase really far though.

Last edited:

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I've had Fair KO as early as 50% (like actually hitting them into the blast zone). You do have to chase really far though.
SC > down c-stick creates a long range spin charge hop without using a jump. I've been using that a lot to chase off the edge instead of the normal way.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
PS: Am I the only one suiciding a lot with Sonic? lol And I'm not talking about DownAir, I'm talking about using SpinDash in the air near ledges (either intentionally to recover or by mistake) but not being able to cancel and recover with UpB.
Read about the BSBS mechanic here.

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
Every Sonic move can finish a player. Sonic is a killing machine!!

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
I'm better at not down airing into suicide, not using Sdash so much to recover, and overall using diverse attacks according to opponent strategies. But I'm still struggling to finishing those 100++%.

Again, I never "feel" any lag but grabs are almost impossible and I think that's because it's online because offline I grab much more. Am I the only one?
Also, I have to start writing down how I kill my opponents because I know rarely use the Bthrow or land any smash attacks, so... is it always spring+upair? lol

D

Deleted member

I'm better at not down airing into suicide, not using Sdash so much to recover, and overall using diverse attacks according to opponent strategies. But I'm still struggling to finishing those 100++%.

Again, I never "feel" any lag but grabs are almost impossible and I think that's because it's online because offline I grab much more. Am I the only one?
Also, I have to start writing down how I kill my opponents because I know rarely use the Bthrow or land any smash attacks, so... is it always spring+upair? lol
Side B can combo into Uair after its hop, which can net you a spring->Uair if you time it right/don't get read like a book. Dashing USmash is always a good anti-air at higher percents, and it KOs very early which is great. I've had luck with Ftilt to Fair, retreat onstage, and then use both jumps to juggle with Fair. Bair is also good out of spring instead of Uair if that is stale or you aren't directly underneath the opponent when you get the spring opportunity. DSmash/Down angled Fsmash is also good for ledge guarding and KOing if you aren't confident in edge guarding or the recovery is more fitting for that than a Bair -> Stage spike.

And yeah, grabbing can be a pain online. I was just playing Diddy to see why people thought he was so amazing (them bananas to dash grab Dthrow Uair is probably why), and it was frustrating to get grabs in because of the lag, but I dominated when the lag stopped. Opponents with projectiles could wall me out or just roll -> dash grab because the lag gave them time to react. If you can get a grab try using Bthrow near the edge, and if they're by the edge holding shield its a good idea to run up, pivot grab, and Bthrow.

iMAGN

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3003-2964
sliding upsmash is my go-to, but upthrow-spring-upair is good too
sliding upsmash...
Is that the same as DACUS? If so can I get a quick explanation on how to pull that off? If not tell me how to sliding upsmash

iMAGN

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3003-2964
Warning Received (Please be careful!)
sliding upsmash...
Is that the same as DACUS? If so can I get a quick explanation on how to pull that off? If not tell me how to sliding upsmash
I should admit I'm not positive what DACUS stands for- My assumption was dash attack cancelled upsmash?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I should admit I'm not positive what DACUS stands for- My assumption was dash attack cancelled upsmash?
You are correct, but DACUS has actually been removed from this game.

You can still hypen smash which is running and Usmashing by inputting the joystick diagonally. If you time it right, you'll get a slight slide to the Usmash. I think you also get a slide if you Usmash out of a perfect pivot.

Also, please try not to double post. You can edit old posts and add more to them if you forgot to add something.

iMAGN

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3003-2964
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Also, sorry didn't mean to double post!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Also, sorry didn't mean to double post!
That's quite alright, just try to be on the look out for the future.

Happy holidays!

JamesUK7

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamesUK7
3DS FC
4167-4581-3341
I usually just try to catch opponents with an Fsmash but most the time I get my kills off a bthrow.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
It's not consistent, but if you down throw (Seems to have a set knockback or the floor seems to slow them down when they bounce) and can judge where the opponent is gonna get up, you can run up to them and hyphen smash them on get up. It's incredibly satisfying to do though.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's not consistent, but if you down throw (Seems to have a set knockback or the floor seems to slow them down when they bounce) and can judge where the opponent is gonna get up, you can run up to them and hyphen smash them on get up. It's incredibly satisfying to do though.
I prefer Dsmash when reading the tech chase, as it covers more options. But yes, Usmash is definitely a high reward commitment.

Don't forget people can tech the Dthrow though... So I usually Dthrow early game to see how they react to it, then play the set accordingly from there.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I prefer Dsmash when reading the tech chase, as it covers more options. But yes, Usmash is definitely a high reward commitment.

Don't forget people can tech the Dthrow though... So I usually Dthrow early game to see how they react to it, then play the set accordingly from there.

Yeah, there is that too, but online not many people seem to do it. In person the probability is obviously much higher though, I probably should've brought that up... I never thought to use DSmash though. I might try that out, but knowing me I'll end up dash attacking instead (General cluminess), but at least it's generally safe and usually works anyway.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, there is that too, but online not many people seem to do it. In person the probability is obviously much higher though, I probably should've brought that up... I never thought to use DSmash though. I might try that out, but knowing me I'll end up dash attacking instead (General cluminess), but at least it's generally safe and usually works anyway.
There are so many matches of me landing Dsmash on tech chase haha it's perfect for reading rolls. Highly recommend.

Top Bottom