• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's up with Palutena???

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
Why does Palutena have customs that are drastically different from one another? I mean, everyone else has tweaks to their effects or different moves but the same animation. She has full on different moves and even voice lines. What gives? This has always bothered me a little. Lol

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Who knows? At least they make her a better character. Her default set of specials suuuuck.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Palutena's customs were always kind of a selling feature for her. Kind of similar to the Miis. Some theorize that she was amongst the first to have hers in the game or even that someone *cough* I wonder who *cough* was playing favourites when they designed customs and/or Palutena in general.

That said, it was also a good way to get all of the powers from Uprising into the game without having to randomly pick and choose.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Palutena's customs were always kind of a selling feature for her. Kind of similar to the Miis. Some theorize that she was amongst the first to have hers in the game or even that someone *cough* I wonder who *cough* was playing favourites when they designed customs and/or Palutena in general.

That said, it was also a good way to get all of the powers from Uprising into the game without having to randomly pick and choose.
Pretty much this. It seems like she was a gateway character to the customs feature.

Kinda unfortunate that she's one of the very few (if not the only one) with unique custom moves that actually change her playstyle visually and mechanically. The customs feature would've been a lot more interesting if other characters had more unique moves rather than random tweaks to their existing special moves.

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
Pretty much this. It seems like she was a gateway character to the customs feature.

Kinda unfortunate that she's one of the very few (if not the only one) with unique custom moves that actually change her playstyle visually and mechanically. The customs feature would've been a lot more interesting if other characters had more unique moves rather than random tweaks to their existing special moves.
That makes sense I guess but if it is true it would mean she was the first character programmed in or the only one Sakurai really cared about. Either way it was pretty half-baked the way they handled it. It would've been awesome to see everyone with so many unique moves. Even the DLC characters could've had customs patched in at a later date.

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491

If that's the case why didn't Pit and Dark Pit get any love? It's so weird.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217

I'd argue a few characters get one or two - while not aesthetically - largely different customs that make enough difference to change up their gameplan. But Palutena is still definitely the biggest example of differing customs because they're so drastically different from eachother both in how they're used and aesthetics. The key notable one being Lightweight > Counter which can hop her up multiple tiers.

If that's the case why didn't Pit and Dark Pit get any love? It's so weird.
In a way, I feel Pit did get quite a bit of attention. I'd argue Pit is one of the more balanced and well-rounded characters on the roster, and the fact that Sakurai even bothered to put Dark Pit in is a testament to his bias. However, it kind of backfired since Pit's strong neutral play-style doesn't really put him in an overtly powerful spot like it was -- in my opinion -- likely intended to.

If you were talking about it in terms of customs though, well, simply put, Palutena is the one with the largest toolkit in terms of canonical abilities. From Warp all the way to Celestial Firework, all her customs are abilities that she controls. To leave one out would feel weird, and no other new character really has that kind of trait except maybe Mega Man, and arguably he did get some pretty drastically different customs (At least, IMO. Though I know some Mega Man fans were disappointed with his base moveset. Never mind his customs.), it's just likely that they thought of implementing Palutena's customs first.

That said, if you want a really cynical answer - Palutena is Sakurai's waifu. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
I'd argue a few characters get one or two - while not aesthetically - largely different customs that make enough difference to change up their gameplan. But Palutena is still definitely the biggest example of differing customs because they're so drastically different from eachother both in how they're used and aesthetics. The key notable one being Lightweight > Counter which can hop her up multiple tiers.

In a way, I feel Pit did get quite a bit of attention. I'd argue Pit is one of the more balanced and well-rounded characters on the roster, and the fact that Sakurai even bothered to put Dark Pit in is a testament to his bias. However, it kind of backfired since Pit's strong neutral play-style doesn't really put him in an overtly powerful spot like it was -- in my opinion -- likely intended to.

If you were talking about it in terms of customs though, well, simply put, Palutena is the one with the largest toolkit in terms of canonical abilities. From Warp all the way to Celestial Firework, all her customs are abilities that she controls. To leave one out would feel weird, and no other new character really has that kind of trait except maybe Mega Man, and arguably he did get some pretty drastically different customs (At least, IMO. Though I know some Mega Man fans were disappointed with his base moveset. Never mind his customs.), it's just likely that they thought of implementing Palutena's customs first.

That said, if you want a really cynical answer - Palutena is Sakurai's waifu. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get what you're saying but don't you think all the Pokemon had a lot of canonical moves to use too? Also, Shulk and every other RPG character I feel like. Lmao Yeah Palutena as his waifu makes sense.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
This thread is kinda old, but, as far as we know, Palutena might as well have been the character that inspired Sakurai to make custom moves in the first place ("I don't know what powers to choose.... what if she could have all of them!?"─ of course, he created all of those powers, so no wonder he would want them in) and then he just didn't feel as inspired with the other characters or didn't know what moves to give them or both. Don't forget that Sakurai balanced the customs too, so the bigger the variety of unique customs, the more balancing the whole game would need to fit each custom, it's not just a simple "let's put that custom in and that's it".
And the Pokémon's customs ARE different moves coming from their games, Sakurai just conveniently chose moves that don't deviate too much from the standard sets, but different moves they are.

Nick Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9900-3491
This thread is kinda old, but, as far as we know, Palutena might as well have been the character that inspired Sakurai to make custom moves in the first place ("I don't know what powers to choose.... what if she could have all of them!?"─ of course, he created all of those powers, so no wonder he would want them in) and then he just didn't feel as inspired with the other characters or didn't know what moves to give them or both. Don't forget that Sakurai balanced the customs too, so the bigger the variety of unique customs, the more balancing the whole game would need to fit each custom, it's not just a simple "let's put that custom in and that's it".
And the Pokémon's customs ARE different moves coming from their games, Sakurai just conveniently chose moves that don't deviate too much from the standard sets, but different moves they are.
SOME Pokemon customs are actual moves. A lot of them aren't official moves at all. Heck, Pikachu's default B, Thunder Jolt isn't even a real move. I get what you're saying though.

Top Bottom