• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 What's the possibility of meeting/money matching the top players to gain experience?

Morphine

Smash Cadet
I'm totally new to competitive smash and apex won't only be my first international tournament but my first one all together. I saw on reddit that prog offered to help and introduce a new player to the pros and that got me thinking... Why doesn't this happen more often? Anyway what are the chances? If anyone would be able to help with achieving this goal I would be forever in debt.

tekkie

Smash Master
over the course of two nationals i have played against a few dozen pro players. i was playing friendlies with Red X at apex 2012 and Brood (the Japanese olimar main) popped up out of nowhere and got in next. he played Red and i played a few friendlies afterwards. it was godlike.

think of it this way: pro players don't get that good by avoiding playing the game with new people.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I'm totally new to competitive smash and apex won't only be my first international tournament but my first one all together. I saw on reddit that prog offered to help and introduce a new player to the pros and that got me thinking... Why doesn't this happen more often? Anyway what are the chances? If anyone would be able to help with achieving this goal I would be forever in debt.
You need to actually go up to a good player, and ask them to play. Or, if you see a line on a television, just make sure you have a spot in the line. Good players aren't randomly going to go up to you asking for a match, and good players normally aren't assholes to the point where you'll get ignored.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Awesome. Taking this all in. Will finding a tv for a match be troubling?
Depends. When pools are happening, mostly all TVs will be used to advance the bracket. Once the brackets become smaller and it goes into the next day, you'll find a good number of TVs open. By Sunday, you'll have alot of people playing friendlies.

Morphine

Smash Cadet
Okay so I guess the idea is not to worry if I can't find friendlies on the first day? I suspect I'll be able to play some friendlies but by Sunday I'll get my fill? Sorry for all the questions. Just extremely excited.

If all else fails you can always wave money in front of the players you want to challenge and say money match.

Top Bottom