• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the policy for edgeguarding with Roy?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
For starters, Roy is not Ike. I've learned this through hard experience and countless SD's. One walk-off aerial and he's not coming back. If you try and Up B and go high, he just keeps going horizontal and not high enough to recover.

How can I edgeguard better with Roy without SDing? It's hard to get anyone if my opponent goes deep and I can't recover.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Roy's edgeguarding tools aren't as good as others but he still has a decent amount of options. Walk-off f-airs and b-airs are all possible offstage. While less likely d-air is also an option.

The key is to not fast fall offstage and saving your 2nd jump in order to make it back. Honestly Roy is just one of those characters who can't go full out ham offstage in general so I'd keep the fight on stage if possible.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
run off up b back to ledge is also cool sometimes, can lead to untechable situations from my experience.

you can also jump neutral b and you have enough time to double jump up b back to the ledge.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Roy's edgeguarding tools aren't as good as others but he still has a decent amount of options. Walk-off f-airs and b-airs are all possible offstage. While less likely d-air is also an option.

The key is to not fast fall offstage and saving your 2nd jump in order to make it back. Honestly Roy is just one of those characters who can't go full out ham offstage in general so I'd keep the fight on stage if possible.
I figured. Much like Little Mac, he has a really strong neutral game with very little for recovery and edgeguarding just to keep him balanced.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I've found good use of standing at the ledge and charging up a neutral B and walk off Counter. If you ever do wanna go for spikes, make sure you don't fast fall it and jump before doing it.

Most of the time, you'll probably have to respect opponents off stage because Roy's recovery game is pretty bad, so I usually just charge the neutral B at the ledge and time it with my opponent's recovery.

Last edited:

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
D air is a good option if you can mind game the opponent to the right area

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Run off Fair is pretty good with Roy (You may have to go for a Bair after they airdodge if you conditioned them with run off Fairs). Using Blazer to stage spike is also a good option.

Roy's ledge coverage options are pretty good too so you don't need to go offstage all the time.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I tried retreating Uair into UTilt today on For Glory. Covered a potential jump from the ledge, but the UTilt got his roll.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Run off fast fall fair is amazing, we can interrupt fair and recover which makes this a viable option. This, trumps, flare blade, and aerials from the ledge are the meat of my offstage game actually.

I run off and grab the ledge while they're recovering, followed by dropping down into either a rising bair, nair, dair, or fair. Rarely I'll use nair to cover most of my space, although for the most part nair covers that well enough. Depending on how low you go, don't angle Blazer so you'll reach maximum height.

As for flare blade, I usually b reverse it out of a ledge hop and hit those who recover low and don't realize we can go fairly deep with this due to being able to act out of it quickly. I also use turnaround flare blade so I remain on stage, and time it for when they move from the ledge as it should cover all options on reaction barring rolls, which we can then quickly cover with a few options like ftilt, grab, nair and potentially other more effective things. Wave bouncing this out of a ledge hop is also an option for those who hug the stage with there recoverys, or for punishing ledge snap vulnerability. I usually use this out of a ledge hop as a mix upor rise with out ot of a jump for similar placement.

Lastly, I utilize trump->bair and something I call trump mind games, where you condition them to buffer a roll or jump and go for a hard read like pivot fsmash or nair.

Something I don't use as much but can potentially be just as effective is OoS Blazer, as it can also cover multiple options, essentially as a high risk/medium reward imo. I use oos blazer plenty otherwise though.

I have taken a lot of how I edge guard from my Ganondorf, and it's helped a ton using a style that revolves around grabbing the edge and effectively timing your attacks.

Also, hey Rango.

Highscorezero

Smash Rookie
Going offstage with Roy can be broken down into 3 phases the chase, the action, then the recovery

The first step is to commit to going offstage. using your precious first jump to chase someone needs to be timed such that the opponent has limited o no options for example if your opponent has a jump and a recovery it might not be wise to go after them due to your own weakness off stage . be wise if you decide to try and chase them while he has his recovery because you could take your shot and he completely avoid it , you want to get him in a situation where he's either low so he up B's straight up or where's he's far off stage and it's easy to read the angle of their recovery

So you're off stage you're about. Meet with your opponent mow comes the hard part determining whether or not one of your options (f-air, d air neutral b, etc.. )will hit I personally like to forward air or neutral b if their off far to the side , and if their low and close to stage it might a better option b may be to walk off counter, forward air , or JUMP then down air taking care not to accidentally fast fall

YOU WONT ALWAYS HIT THEM you may miss , but hit or miss your next option is to quickly use your second jump/up b to get back to stage , suicide moves that trade stocks have their place (like if you're at a very high percent and manage to kill ) your first priority is to either get back on stage or stall so your opponent does before you(who is next to impossible for Roy)

Hope this helps someone and feel free to critique or add your own opinions

Top Bottom