• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the best way to prepare for olimar?

kafke

Smash Apprentice
I know brawl hasn't come out yet but, I wanted to ask the people who imported it, what is the best way to prepare for olimar on brawl? He's not in ssbm or ssb(duh!). and I wanted to know who is the closest to him. I just hope someone in melee is at least similar. Thanks in advance.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I know brawl hasn't come out yet but, I wanted to ask the people who imported it, what is the best way to prepare for olimar on brawl? He's not in ssbm or ssb(duh!). and I wanted to know who is the closest to him. I just hope someone in melee is at least similar. Thanks in advance.
I dont know if there is a way to prepare, theres noone even close to like him in Melee.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
thats ok, I was just wondering because I wanted to have general tactics in mind. Oh well, I'll just stick to watching vids. ;)

IllidR

Smash Champion
I've just been scouring for every video I can find, disecting it and noting the good things the player did and all of the mistakes they made and reading every strategy guide or impressions I can find. This is really the only way to prepare, to have knowledge of how the character works before you get your hands on him.

ZelgadisA027123

Smash Cadet
I've played as Olimar, and I have to say, he plays like 3 of my favorite characters from Melee. Here's who I'd recommend.

Peach: proficiency w/ projectiles - getting their trajectory down, being able to quickly recognize the properties of the one you'll throw next, but generally not relying on your ranged attacks for kills - only for harassing and increasing damage.

Pikachu: short, fast, throws himself at opponents (i.e. non-Pikmin attacks) and has some surprisingly long disjointed hitboxes. Also, interesting projectiles (ground thundershock, air thundershock, chasing combo'd opponents with a thunder, reversing your thundershock, etc) that can be a huge advantage if you know their ins and outs. Has a sort of guerilla warfare type playstyle - you rack up the damage with small annoying hits and combo when safe rather than beefy attacks.

Ice Climbers: technical skill, intense situational awareness - The Ice Climbers are (in my opinion) one of the hardest characters to master in SSBM, simply because there is so much you have to be aware of at one point in time! Olimar seems like he'll be the new IC's, because of how many factors you have to consider when playing him. How many Pikmin do I have? What is their order and what colors? For each attack, it's best to know what type of Pikmin will be used, so you can follow up with a better combo. Olimar's unpredictability is a huge disadvantage to opponents, but can be a disadvantage to players unless you know exactly what your next attacks properties will be.

Marth: Spacing game, ranged F-smash - as much as I don't like it, Olimar can also play sort of like MarFALCON PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I've just been scouring for every video I can find, disecting it and noting the good things the player did and all of the mistakes they made and reading every strategy guide or impressions I can find. This is really the only way to prepare, to have knowledge of how the character works before you get your hands on him.
I have been doing the same thing. This is about all you can do.

Top Bottom