• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best strategy when using olimar?

blue cheez

Smash Cadet
Well, I've been on the Pikmin & Olimar forums for a month or so, and never really felt the need to sign in and post anything.

I've watched many videos of Olimar mains, and so far DSF and Echo i think are the two best. (I haven't seen any vids of textbook ninja, :( )

DSF and Echo have very different styles of play when using olimar, and I'm wondering how I should try to play when I get the game in March.

I decided to finally make this thread in order to ask the community this question: "What should be an olimar's general strategy be when in a match" (btw, im not saying that everyone has to play as a zombie and play only by one method. But i want to get started on the right foot, and not find out in 6 months that im playing in a way that doesn't compliment olimar's strengths)

DSF uses Fair, Fsmash and Dthrow the most
DSF right now resembles how one would play a melee character. This is to be expected because he's like what 25th in the nation at melee? He's scarcely seen throwing pikmin, and is seen sheildgrabbing and dodging as a primary counter to attacks. I've seen DSF use his Fsmash much more than his Usmash for KOs.

Textbook Ninja is known for his escapable, 0% combo by combo'ing a fastfalling Fair and Dthrow, and this might also be used as a primary strategy, as well. (sorry nyhustler208 for the misstatement ><)

Echo uses Uair, Usmash and throws pikmin the most.
Echo differs greatly from DSF. Echo pressures the opponent at a distance by throwing pikmin until the enemy attempts to approach and then he sidesteps+Usmash as a counter. Echo juggles a LOT with his Uair.

I'm sure that an analysis of these two has already been done before, but what I'm really asking the pikmin community is which of these styles is the best for brawl?
Is it better to be upclose and personal with olimar, using Fair-Downthrow combos to rack-up damage, and use Fsmash for the horozontal kills. Or is it better to distance yourself like Echo and counter with vertical attacks when they approach?

Unlike melee, spamming the same attack repeatedly reduces damage AND knockback, so maybe Fair+Dthrow combo is better because it reduces knockback and allows better combo-ability? Or is it bad because the reduced knockback doesn't help the combo but makes it take more attacks to deal the same amount of damage, and thus opens up opportunities for the foe to escape?

I know that in a year there will be a guide here explaining exactly how to play olimar and what works and what doesn' t .But, I'm sure we could find out exactly how olimar should be played faster than waiting for a good player to dominate in tourneys and write a guide FOR us.

I'm expecting a lot of people to say that the strategy for olimar should be a mix, but if you do feel this way, please be a bit more specific.

Thoughts?

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've been on the Pikmin & Olimar forums for a month or so, and never really felt the need to sign in and post anything.

I've watched many videos of Olimar mains, and so far DSF and Echo are the two best.

DSF and Echo have very different styles of play when using olimar, and I'm wondering how I should try to play when I get the game in March.

I decided to finally make this thread in order to ask the community this question: "What should be an olimar's general strategy be when in a match" (btw, im not saying that everyone has to play as a zombie and play only by one method. But i want to get started on the right foot, and not find out in 6 months that im playing in a way that doesn't compliment olimar's strengths)

Known for his posted 0%, escapable combo, DSF right now resembles how one would play a melee character. This is to be expected because he's like what 25th in the nation at melee? He's scarcely seen throwing pikmin, and is seen sheildgrabbing and dodging as a primary counter to attacks. I've seen DSF use his Fsmash much more than his Usmash for KOs.

Echo differs greatly from DSF. Echo pressures the opponent at a distance by throwing pikmin until the enemy attempts to approach and then he sidesteps+Usmash as a counter. Echo juggles a LOT with his Uair.

I'm sure that an analysis of these two has already been done before, but what I'm really asking the pikmin community is which of these styles is the best for brawl?
Is it better to be upclose and personal with olimar, using Fair-Downthrow combos to rack-up damage, and use Fsmash for the horozontal kills. Or is it better to distance yourself like Echo and counter with vertical attacks when they approach?

Unlike melee, spamming the same attack repeatedly reduces damage AND knockback, so maybe DSF's Fair+Dthrow combo is better because it reduces knockback and allows better combo-ability? Or is it bad because the reduced knockback doesn't help the combo but makes it take more attacks to deal the same amount of damage, and thus opens up opportunities for the foe to escape?

i know that in a year there will be a guide here explaining exactly how to play olimar and what works and what doesnt.But, I know with the brains of everyone in the forum, we could find out how olimar should be played faster than waiting for a good player to dominate in tourneys and write a guide FOR us.

I'm expecting a lot of people to say that players should be a mix between the two, but if you do feel this way, post what EXACTLY you should be a mix of? Should you use DSF's combo but keep Echo's pikmin-throwing pressure? Should you use Fsmash like DSF and use Echo's Uair?

Thoughts?
dsf did NOT make up that combo that is really bad mistake that you did i no that you probably posted this by mistake or got name confused but the correct person that made up that combo is TEXTBOOK_NINJA. in fact no where in dsf's videos did he do the TEXTBOOK COMBO, you shouls look up your information more before you post something seriously i dnt really care what people type but giving somebody else credit for a combo they did is agrevating the **** out of me....

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman

I've watched many videos of Olimar mains, and so far DSF and Echo are the two best.

Known for his posted 0%, escapable combo, DSF right now resembles how one would play a melee character. This is to be expected because he's like what 25th in the nation at melee? He's scarcely seen throwing pikmin, and is seen sheildgrabbing and dodging as a primary counter to attacks. I've seen DSF use his Fsmash much more than his Usmash for KOs.

Unlike melee, spamming the same attack repeatedly reduces damage AND knockback, so maybe DSF's Fair+Dthrow combo is better because it reduces knockback and allows better combo-ability? Or is it bad because the reduced knockback doesn't help the combo but makes it take more attacks to deal the same amount of damage, and thus opens up opportunities for the foe to escape?

i know that in a year there will be a guide here explaining exactly how to play olimar and what works and what doesnt.But, I know with the brains of everyone in the forum, we could find out how olimar should be played faster than waiting for a good player to dominate in tourneys and write a guide FOR us.

I'm expecting a lot of people to say that players should be a mix between the two, but if you do feel this way, post what EXACTLY you should be a mix of? Should you use DSF's combo but keep Echo's pikmin-throwing pressure? Should you use Fsmash like DSF and use Echo's Uair?

Thoughts?
sorry 4 triple post:(

the server keeps messing up

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts?
sorry 4 triple post:(

the server keeps messing up

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
The best strategy for olimar is one that feels the best for you. the one that you think has
the most mindgames and spacing into it. The best strategy is one that you feel wins the most.
If its smashing all day, then that is the best for you. As long you feel happy with your win,
its the best strategy.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
im sure it dosent matter its what you feel comfortable with but i can mostly see myself playing like echo

legendganon

Smash Cadet
I think it really varries depending on who your playing. Lets say your playing with a very campy Toon Link I would go with Echoes style to get him to attack you. Otherwise your playing with an agressive Meta-Knight it would be wise to go with DSFs style. It really varries on which character your playing aginst and how they use the character.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Everyone plays different, hard to say "HERE PLAY LIKE THIS" without showing soomeone personally and watching what they do. Honestly, practice makes perfect, practice makes habits, practice makes strategy. Watching videos and reading text only gets you so far. It just puts the idea in your head, up to you to get the games in.

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
hmm, once you think about it, a strategy is what you know what to do at someone when they are doing something. its like when a marth is camping, you know what to do. you know what im saying? like if a toon link like keeps spamming bombs, everyone has a way to avoid that. But you know, some strategies are better than others to avoid it, so might as well do what this guy does to avoid a camping marth, or a bomb spamming toon link. thats how i think about it.

out of topic: 100th post yay!

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna have to agree with others here when it comes to "make your own style." I personally wish there was a bit more to that, but Olimar is a very well rounded character in both categories. I'm personally a very aerial person, but thats in Melee. It's just a couple weeks away and another couple hours to get a feel for him. How about we wait together to make it go faster?

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
no offense and im not being childish or anything but that sounds GAY lol

i just had to say

Top Bottom