• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best set of Mii Gunner?

What's the best set for Mii Gunner?

Votes: 5 45.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

B-Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
BBlack2
3DS FC
2681-1589-1276
Hello, all.

My name's B-Black, fellow Bowser and Gunner main.
I'm here to ask a question about what is the best set to use in every tournament.
Why? I've suggested french players to allow Miis, but with only 1 set. This set is what they can win in most MU.
That's why I need your help: to discuss it, by analyzing every special moves and their advantages.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The generally agreed best set is 3312. But there are many players who prefer Charged Shot to Grenade Launcher and Rocket Upper to Lunar Launch.

Some like Flame Pillar over Homing Missile too, but they are a little rarer.

B-Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
BBlack2
3DS FC
2681-1589-1276
Charge Shot: Samus's neutral B. Can charges faster than Samus. It is one of the Gunner's kill moves, has a decent knockback, good shield damage, but not as powerful as Samus'. The projectile itself is slower than the original, and you must aim at your opponent precisely, else it is futile.

Grenade Launcher: One of the new Mii's moves. When charges it up, the grenade goes farther, but doesn't increase its power.
Great for trapping the opponent and edge guarding. Unlike Charge Shot, you can abuse it. It's also good to protect yourself from the opponent, when you're off-stage. The only problem tho is it can't explode upon clash.

Flame Pillar: Similar to Ness, Lucas and Robin side B, the user fires the energy on the ground and create a flame pillar. It is useful for defensive options such as blocking many projectiles, stopping the opponent and edge guarding. But the move is laggy, can't create the flame on-shield, so you must be careful to use it carefully.

Missile: Similar to Samus, the homing missile is more accurate but laggy and low knockback but the super missile has a moderate knockback and less laggy than Samus'. Useful for trapping the oponent and poking him.

Lunar Launch: Another new move. Releases an explosion beneath the Mii, semi-spike the opponent. But it is vulnerable above him.

The Upper Rocket, is it the Canon Uppercut or the Arm Rocket?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh I forgot the name, yeah it's Canon Uppercut hurr durr.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
3312 is generally considered the best moveset for mii gunner as shown by multiple threads that have asked this question. It is the best moveset because it maximizes the potential for gunner to get guaranteed combos and kill confirms. In addition, the grenade, missile and bomb drop are really good options in neutral, and bomb drop helps cover the landings of mii gunner. In conclusion, 3312 is the best moveset for covering the weaknesses of mii gunner without creating any more weaknesses.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I'm still confused as to why 1323 isn't one of the top sets, as Absorbing Vortex is almost required to go with Cannon Uppercut to prevent an awful recovery. If I had to choose one of these, it would be 1322.

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I'm still confused as to why 1323 isn't one of the top sets, as Absorbing Vortex is almost required to go with Cannon Uppercut to prevent an awful recovery. If I had to choose one of these, it would be 1322.
Cannon Uppercut gives Gunner a good enough vertical recovery to make it back to stage. The other issue with Absorbing Vortex is the lack of uses it has outside of recovery and absorbing. The only way it could be considered a top set is if Wavedashing with Absorber was proven to be very useful.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I actually have a question about this that I hope you guys can answer. Because there's now a Geno mii costume, I'm starting to pick up gunner now out of principle. Currently my moveset is 3132.

I find when I tried missiles in my moveset, I tended to ignore them for the grenade launch instead, and being a Ness main, I tend to find flame pillar more comfortable/natural. I'm sure I could force myself to get used to the missiles if they are very important though.

Also, why the 1 recovery over the 3 one, any particular reason?

I literally haven't touched mii gunner until last night so all help is appreciated!

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I actually have a question about this that I hope you guys can answer. Because there's now a Geno mii costume, I'm starting to pick up gunner now out of principle. Currently my moveset is 3132.

I find when I tried missiles in my moveset, I tended to ignore them for the grenade launch instead, and being a Ness main, I tend to find flame pillar more comfortable/natural. I'm sure I could force myself to get used to the missiles if they are very important though.

Also, why the 1 recovery over the 3 one, any particular reason?

I literally haven't touched mii gunner until last night so all help is appreciated!
1 is chosen over 3 because the recovery is slightly better and (1 can travel further diagonally than 3) the projectile of 1 can be used to cover the landing of gunner. The homing missile is good for pressuring and combing opponents. The missile is pretty important to gunner, but you don't have to force yourself to use it.

Ezzelin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4437-5276
I also use 3132, and have for a long time. Why isn't it in the poll? I find that flame pillar is a great zoning, defense, and edge guarding tool, whereas missiles are easy to dodge, and grenades fill their role. Flame pillar can absorb many projectiles too. Also, I'm not sure why you say that up special 1 covers more diagonal ground, as it always goes straight up. Up 3 can be angled, giving less predictability and the greatest recovery potential. You sacrifice the small downwards projectile of up 1, but it does very little damage and there are better options.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I also use 3132, and have for a long time. Why isn't it in the poll? I find that flame pillar is a great zoning, defense, and edge guarding tool, whereas missiles are easy to dodge, and grenades fill their role. Flame pillar can absorb many projectiles too. Also, I'm not sure why you say that up special 1 covers more diagonal ground, as it always goes straight up. Up 3 can be angled, giving less predictability and the greatest recovery potential. You sacrifice the small downwards projectile of up 1, but it does very little damage and there are better options.
Actually 1 gives the greatest recovery potential since 1 gives the most control over the helpless state (this means that 1 can keep you from getting punished when you don't sweetspot the ledge). While 3 allows you to angle the recovery, it is more punishable if you don't sweetspot the ledge, and this fact greatly decreases the unpredictability of the of the move. In addition, 3 must be angled one way most of the time (diagonally) in order to avoid getting punished.

Flame pillar isn't as useful for grenade users as it is for charge blast users (Grenade covers the area that flame pillar covers. Although I agree that flame pillar is a good move, missile is better for making up for the loss in pressure caused by the grenade nerf, and it covers more range. Missiles are good for setting up the opponent and into getting hit by grenade, and it gives gunner more combos than flame pillar (combos are posted in the Mii Gunner true combo and follow up thread). In conclusion, 3132 is a good moveset, but 3312 is a better moveset.

Ezzelin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4437-5276
After more investigation, I can see what you mean about Up 1; it does seem to give about the same recovery but more control. However, I still can't get behind the missile. It's so slow! Both in startup and in speed. Flame pillar has so many uses distinct from grenade. I played Lucas in Brawl as well, so it feels natural. I voted for 3112.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
After more investigation, I can see what you mean about Up 1; it does seem to give about the same recovery but more control. However, I still can't get behind the missile. It's so slow! Both in startup and in speed. Flame pillar has so many uses distinct from grenade. I played Lucas in Brawl as well, so it feels natural. I voted for 3112.
Actually, missile is faster than flame pillar in startup, and super missile travels pretty fast. In addition, the slowness of homing missile allows for gunner to move and attack while the missile is pressuring an opponent. The missile is also better than flame pillar for edgeguarding since it goes offstage, and pressures a high recovery from an opponent. In addition, the safety on shield and longer range makes it a better zoning tool than flame pillar. While I agree that flame pillar is a better defensive tool than missile, missile is much better for zoning and edgeguarding. Gunner is best when moving in the air (due to gunner's good airspeed and air acceleration and aerial mobility options such as gundashing, bomb shuffling, and b-reversing with grenade), and missile suits that strength better than flame pillar.

I can understand that it may be harder for you to use missile when you are used to flame pillar, but missile adds combos that are very useful to gunner. It will take some effort to use missiles effectively if you are not used to them (It is best to use missile while jumping in order to get a safer approach and better punish on the ground). Missile is better in the air than flame pillar while grenade is a faster and better option (due to grenade's safety on shield) on the ground than flame pillar. Missile provides pressure when grenade can't due missiles having more priority and range, while flame pillar only provides projectile defense that grenade can't. Grenade is a better option than flame pillar in everything else, and the need for flame pillar's projectile wall decreases greatly when gunner's mobility is maximized.

Last edited:
Top Bottom