• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHats refelector do?

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Major differences between Fox and Wolf's shine.

Fox's Shine
- Stops all momentum in the air.
- Has slightly more knockback than Wolf's.
- Blue.

Wolf's Shine
- Doesn't stop momentum.
- Very little knockback.
- Increases speed of projectiles reflected.

AlexDL

Smash Rookie
Big difference.

The major difference though is that Wolfs is awesome, whereas Fox's not so much.

Edg

Smash Cadet
Basically the only uses for wolfs reflector are to beef up his already insane projectile game and for a "get off me" move to use if they are behind you. The reflector is obviously effective for just building up damage in a ranged battle vrs easy to reflect projectiles like another wolf, pit, toon link, etc. Also if you cross-over an aerial and land behind them you can get off a quick shine if they try to downsmash or whiff a projectile, which can usually be followed with a backair as wolfs shine has terrible knockback.

The Wolfen

Smash Rookie
I am a Wolf player currently and im not sure but it feels as if wolfs shine has a larger hit box than Fox. I could be wrong tho.

Corin

Smash Lord
Wolf's shine does seem to have a larger hit box, also I've noticed something else interesting about it.

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but if you remember power shielding was when you shield at just the right time, when you do the same thing with Wolf's reflector (use it just before you're hit) the projectile is in fact not sent back, however it passes right through wolf with no damage done. I've done this with Arrows and lasers, I wouldn't try it with bombs, and I haven't bothered to risk being hit with a fully charged Samus beam.

Not entirely useful, but they may attempt to dodge or guard if they think it's coming back at them.

Deforty

Smash Rookie
I've done the reflector at the right time thing as well but only vs. pit. I use the reflector alternately with neutral air for a decently safe approach.

Solarswordsman

Smash Rookie
Wolf's shine does seem to have a larger hit box, also I've noticed something else interesting about it.

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but if you remember power shielding was when you shield at just the right time, when you do the same thing with Wolf's reflector (use it just before you're hit) the projectile is in fact not sent back, however it passes right through wolf with no damage done. I've done this with Arrows and lasers, I wouldn't try it with bombs, and I haven't bothered to risk being hit with a fully charged Samus beam.

Not entirely useful, but they may attempt to dodge or guard if they think it's coming back at them.
This seems to be because of startup frames for Wolf's shine that don't do anything but appear to make him invincible. Try using the shine on an opponent in training mode, you see there's some lag but the shine comes up before the hit.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Another major difference...

Fox = Really good shine

Wolf = Horrible shine (but it still works)

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
I find that Wolf's is a decent setup for finishing moves. Fox's is more useful overall, but since Wolf's doesn't have as much knockback, you can follow up a shine with an immediate fsmash or start some combo.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
Wolf's shine can't set up for finishing moves. It can be blocked afterwords.

But...

Because it can be blocked afterwords, most people do block after words, cuz the alternative is a f/smash to the throat.

So it's always good to grab after a shine. This works suprisingly well. It's not a combo cuz it can be dodged. It's just a good way to "f" your opponent up if they tend to block after it.

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
Well wolf's shine has a very nice range, and the push back is not far which is great for a follow up fsmash on the ground, do not use this move too much and never ever try to spike with it, you will get yourself killed., simply use it after shielding a dash attack and follow up with a smash attack, only use this move when fast characters get too close to you and you can't counter with anything quick enough. (technically) being wolf's fastest move it's a quick pop to stop a charge or a combo and set you on the offensive, but once again it's so conditional that you need to know exactly when you can and can't use it. I've been using it a lot to keep myself safe on the ground, but I won't use it in the air much and i'll never use it during an edge game.

And of course use it on projectiles, it will keep all the good range characters from waiting for you to charge, reflecting projectiles will stump them to the point of making reckless attacks on you.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
The fact that it increases the projectile's speed a lot when it hits is awesome. The first time my friend fired Lucario's fully charged Aura Ball at me he wasn't quick enough and didn't know it would come back (probably) 3x faster than he sent it at me.

Paperbag Tourist

Smash Rookie
Wolf's shine can't set up for finishing moves. It can be blocked afterwords.

But...

Because it can be blocked afterwords, most people do block after words, cuz the alternative is a f/smash to the throat.

So it's always good to grab after a shine. This works suprisingly well. It's not a combo cuz it can be dodged. It's just a good way to "f" your opponent up if they tend to block after it.
It's absolutely wonderful for setting up a forward smash. From my own experience playing Wolf as a main character for a few days now (I play on other people's systems, don't have my own yet), what I note is that his reflect does seem to be the most effective of the three, not just for reflecting projectiles, but for the range of stun alone. Grab combos are probably very good via the stun as well, but I think it requires a more precise timing that I haven't given much thought to yet -- only because the forward smash is Wolf's best move and the stun sets him up for a low chance of missing and causing a vulnerability.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Im a Wolf user also I can guarantee you for combing, Wolf's reflector out classes Fox's in every way ... IT FRIGGEN CANCEL'z ATTACKS MAN!!!! seriously any smash attack used by characters that require use of body parts that enter with in the range of his shine get over Prioritized and canceled out, if that doesn't make his shine awesome I dont know what does. Like someone said earlier this helps set up his MURDEROUS >A right? However my freind easily counters follow ups with a ground dodge but he isn't always so quick ...

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
Same with Fox...

And don't rely on vB -> Fsmash. It's not a combo, but vB -> B is a nice spam game. XD

Also, if you flick the control stick in the opposite direction 1-2 frames after pressing B, he'll turn around.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Not really I play against a good fox player all the time, sure he doesn use his shine much DEFENSIVELY however the point is My Shine is bigger than his shine >.< I know it sounds dumb but it changes it's uses alot and I moved off the >A thing after shines, My freind instantly blocks or dodges that I usually do w.e fits the moment .... however Im suprised to hear how much like his >B even with the Sweetspot (which is just a spot on the character and the odds of u gettin it there is ... well ... not so hot) I just dont like it much it seems inferior to the straight and quick Fox/Falco >B

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
I wasn't talking about >B, I was talking about the blaster.

Sorry.

Anyway... Reflector sure helps Wolf's spam game. A lot.

Top Bottom