• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's an easy way to start waveshining consistently?

Disp0

Smash Rookie
When ever I try to waveshine, I usualy A: Shine and not jump out. or B: Shine and FH. I can almost NEVER pull off a waveshine consistently and it confuses me how people pull it off so consistently 24/7.
Can anybody try and help to start pulling these off consistently? Thanks :)

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
A: trying to jump too early or missing the jump input entirely.
B: not wavedashing properly.

There's nothing special about the wavedash out of a shine itself; it's the same as a normal wavedash. The differences are that having to do it so quickly after pressing the B button makes it harder, and also that you have to account for the hitlag if you connect with something.

You don't actually have to do the wavedash quickly since you have a 17 frame window to jump out of shine, so when you're learning you can do it slowly and then speed up once you're more consistent.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
As Stride said, slow it down. After the shine, take a moment to prepare yourself so you can do the wavedash like you always do it. Do this as slowly as you want as long as you're doing the motion correctly. Wait for 2 seconds after the shine if you need to. At whatever speed, see that you can do it consistently - do it 20 times in a row, then increase the tempo if you feel comfortable.
One other thing, if you turn around during the shine, it causes 2 frames of lag meaning you have to wait for a moment to be able to jump out. That's often why people get caught in shine (problem A).

2 +

Smash Cadet
Just go to final destination with computer falcon or peach (they are on the easier side of those that can be waveshined) set to stand and keep trying.

I recommend using y for the jump input.

It's important to note that the timing is slightly different for waveshining an opponent compared to showing off between stocks where you don't experience Hitlag. Because of this it is best to focus practice against a CPU.

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
When ever I try to waveshine, I usualy A: Shine and not jump out. or B: Shine and FH. I can almost NEVER pull off a waveshine consistently and it confuses me how people pull it off so consistently 24/7.
Can anybody try and help to start pulling these off consistently? Thanks :)
The easiest way to get better at your waveshining is to keep practicing it. Seriously, you just need to keep experimenting. You will find something that works for you.

If I were to give one piece of advice, I would say to try delaying the wavedash after a shine. My beginner friend had similar problems to you, and it was because he was attempting to wavedash waaaaaay too quickly after the shine

JamTheMaster

Smash Rookie
I just learned it recently so I can give my two cents. Keep in mind I don't reset the analog to neutral, I just sort of rotate the control stick almost 90 degrees from down --> right below right.

My first step was just starting with a shine, and then wavedashing out of it. Focus was on minimizing the amount of time i was in shine, to the point where it is just a quick flash. I actually learned to waveshine up smash before consecutive waveshines, as I found the timing easier, along with being able to flick the C stick.

Once I felt I was good enough at it, and just needed the muscle memory for consecutive waveshines, I tried different characters. I am not a frame master so correct me if I'm wrong, but Peach and Link are 2 of the easiest characters to waveshine. I believe Falcon is a frame or too more difficult. Personally, I found Link's shined animation was the easiest to visualize. Link kind of leans back in towards the end of hitstun, so visually speaking I would recommend Link for practice.

It's discouraging because it seems so hard at first, but you basically just have to grind it out on Final Destination. Try mixing it up to even incorporate drillshines into a single waveshine if you get bored of only waveshining.

Yashoku

Smash Rookie
Lab work. Just try a few different methods and then drill it out. Although I play fox I learned on Falco since you have a ridiculous amount of time to input the angle of your wavedash but if you're not getting any wavedash you may be doing it too quick (air doing before jump squat is over). What helped me learn how to waveshine on fox was just wavedashing down after the jc. Make sure that the shine and the wavedash are two separate input sequences in your mind.

This didn't help me but it helped my friend: try shining, returning the stick to neutral and then wavedashing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom