• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you want in a Snake guide?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So I started working on a Project M Snake guide this summer and gradually stopped due to life stuff. I'm considering picking the project up again, and in the interest of making sure it's useful, I want suggestions on what to include.

Things I already plan to include:
  • Intro/general Snake overview
  • Stats such as run speed, grab range, weight, etc
  • Significant changes from Brawl
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • Specific advanced techniques such as the DACUS
  • Neutral Game advice
  • Recovery/Ledge advice
  • a brief description of each move, which includes the first active frame of its hitbox
  • a few videos of top Snake players and/or contrasting styles.
Things I do not plan to include:
  • In-depth frame data. Sartron already made an excellent thread for that.
  • Matchup analyses, which are sure to change once 3.5 comes out.
Suggestions so far:
  • [placeholder]

Hopefully the advent of version 3.5's debug mode will help expedite the completion of this project. In the meantime, please post any additional info you would like to see, or any specific ATs or bits of advice you think would be beneficial to this guide.

Mischief

Smash Cadet
I think option coverage with snake should be included. There are great ways you can shut down your opponents movement options with snake, especially the closer they get to the ledge. Mines / C4 can cover certain spaces infront or behind you, grenades can force shields or cut off platform options, upsmash can force movement in particular directions.

One thing I like to do to edge guard for example is put a mine near the ledge, a C4 slightly behind it (this covers get ups and rolls), and then use grenades or upsmashes to cover platforms and jumps. There's obviously more stuff than this, but Snake covers options fantastically and learning positions / situations where you can shut down your opponents movement is super useful.

Last edited:

SolidSlake

Smash Rookie
I'd like more in-depth play-style strategies against various MU's.. I know 3.5 will change things, but I mean in general against characters based on their weight and play style
I'd really hope more advice on how to approach safely, and how to recover momentum from getting constantly combo'd/juggled.
How to punish with snake besides just c4 oriented plays.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
You should do frame data. Its important. And all the best guides have it. I'm assuming you're doing a comprehensive guide? At the very least you should put out the first attack hitbox for each move.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
You should do frame data. Its important. And all the best guides have it. I'm assuming you're doing a comprehensive guide? At the very least you should put out the first attack hitbox for each move.
Things I already plan to include:
  • a brief description of each move, which includes the first active frame of its hitbox
I'll be on top of that. However, it makes no sense to redo all the work that Sartron has already done with regards to Snake frame data.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Ohhhh I was confused lol.

Maybe put optimal DI for X move so the opponent avoids followups?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Currently the project has stalled until I have more time to commit to it. My tentative goal is to complete it by the end of the year.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Nade tricks and mindgames, i guess that could fall under option coverage tho

Last edited:

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
• Most favored position and distance in X matchup. Details about whether it's better to be close and pressuring or playing keep away.

• Chain Grab Percents, Kill Percents, what percent we die.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
I think little technical tricks would be great. I, for one, have no idea how to cancel Cypher to sweetspot my recovery. Do you have to go all the way down there every time you want to sweetspot, because Cypher is really slow.

Top Bottom