• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what would you say marios matchup chart looks like

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
IDK much about marios matchups so I don't have much knowledge on making a chart either so what do you think it looks like

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Mario is just right up the middle mediocre in Melee....below average killing power in the air and lacks KO set ups.

I'll put it this way, his MUs are pretty similar to Pikachu's....but worse across the board (subtract like 10-15% on each of Pika's MUs) especially for any floaties. He has the Cape, but it's not nearly as useful as Pikachu's Thunder or Tail spike and his throws don't set up much.

He has some combos and set ups on FFers, but then again so does every character in the game. He's mediocre - bad against any good floaties and mids or any character with fast disjoint.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
IMO:

Probably evenish with every mid tier. Likely he doesn't lose to any of them.

Soft countered or countered by ICs and Puff. Two match ups where I'd say Doc is explicitly better

Hard countered by Marth. Easily his worst MU. Marths suck at MUs they don't know, though, so you might be able to force your way in with smart aggression.

Countered by Falcon and Peach. Both of them can camp/outrange him hard. Holding onto a lead is probably very difficult in this match up but he does have some perks.

Countered by the spacies but likely better than Falcon/Peach since has a good punish game and thus, comeback potential. I'd say these matchups are his most volatile from stage to stage since he can get camped hard on BF/DL and arguably win on FD due to chain grabs.

Honestly, probably only soft countered by Sheik; easily the best Sheik MU in the game from anyone below high tier. His CC game is extremely functional and 1 grab can be upwards of 80 damage into an fsmash.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
IMO:

Probably evenish with every mid tier. Likely he doesn't lose to any of them.

Soft countered or countered by ICs and Puff. Two match ups where I'd say Doc is explicitly better

Hard countered by Marth. Easily his worst MU. Marths suck at MUs they don't know, though, so you might be able to force your way in with smart aggression.

Countered by Falcon and Peach. Both of them can camp/outrange him hard. Holding onto a lead is probably very difficult in this match up but he does have some perks.

Countered by the spacies but likely better than Falcon/Peach since has a good punish game and thus, comeback potential. I'd say these matchups are his most volatile from stage to stage since he can get camped hard on BF/DL and arguably win on FD due to chain grabs.

Honestly, probably only soft countered by Sheik; easily the best Sheik MU in the game from anyone below high tier. His CC game is extremely functional and 1 grab can be upwards of 80 damage into an fsmash.
Imo I would agree with you and for charecters he beats :bowsermelee::dkmelee::kirbymelee::pichumelee::nessmelee: I feel mario does good against these charecters since they have weakness to combos gimping tools and being easy to ko easy mu for mario as for even I would say :drmario::luigimelee: for obvious reasons
and I think he loses to :marthmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::jigglypuffmelee::falconmelee::sheikmelee::icsmelee: as well he might go even with :ganondorfmelee: since he is easy to combo gimp and punish and mario has better frame data and mobility

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Well as a non-Mario player, I am not gonna go far to back this up, but I would go on to say Mario loses to Doc because Doc is just strictly better Mario, and if he is strictly better, then it would make the MU favorable, however slightly for him.

As for Weegee? I WANT to say weegee wins, but you know... #LuigiRecoveryProblems :c

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Well as a non-Mario player, I am not gonna go far to back this up, but I would go on to say Mario loses to Doc because Doc is just strictly better Mario, and if he is strictly better, then it would make the MU favorable, however slightly for him.

As for Weegee? I WANT to say weegee wins, but you know... #LuigiRecoveryProblems :c
Doc isn't actually strictly better than Mario. I easily prefer Mario, but they both have their advantages. Mario has better mobility and combo game, Doc has better projectiles, and his fAir is a kill move, etc.

NormanGentle

Smash Rookie
Fox: 8-2 in foxs favor
Scorp 6-4 in marios. Scorp nose the matchup
Falco: 7-3 in falcos
Scorp: 9-1 in marios. Scorp r@pes falcos
Jiggly:9-1 in jigglys.
Scorp: 9-1 in marios. Scorp dont no how to lose to jiggly
Peach:8-2 in peachs
Scorp: 6-4 in marios. Only peach scorp lost to is Armada.
If your not scorp or pp than dont play mario.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I would pretty much agree with Plunder Plunder . He doesn't have an awful matchup spread, but it's not notably good either because of the high tiers. He's just mediocre as far as matchups are concerned. I am not experienced in the tournament scene well at all, but I think and hope I have a general idea of how Mario performs against each character (at least, as far as the top half of characters are concerned).

Feel free to critique my thoughts on each matchup here.

Pray for a miracle: :marthmelee:
Countered: :foxmelee::sheikmelee::peachmelee::jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee:
Has a chance, but still at odds: :falcomelee::falconmelee::samusmelee:
Even: :yoshimelee::ganondorfmelee::drmario::luigimelee:
Advantage: :pikachumelee:

vs. the lower half
Mild favor: :dkmelee::zeldamelee:
Advantage: :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::pichumelee:
We got 'dis: :nessmelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee:

Characters within matchup tiers are in no particular order

Last edited:
Top Bottom