• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you like added to the new stage builder?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Stage Builder was one of mine favourite things about Brawl; I think I spent more time on Stage Builder more than I did anything else in Brawl. I really hope it returns in Smash 4 with more options. I would especially like to see more backgrounds to choose from, or maybe downloadable backgrounds and objects.

However, I must say, I am rather against being able to upload our own backgrounds or songs, simply because I know there will be some players whom would upload inappropriate content. That being said, I doubt uploading our own content will be an option. (Shrugs) Then again, anything is possible.

That aside, what I want most is to be able to use our custom stages in online matches. It does not have to be for random online matches, but rather with players we have on our friends list. I must say, I was disappointed when I learned custom stages in Brawl could not be used for online matches.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
  • Ability to stretch the stage to the blast zones. Actually, give us the option to adjust the blast zones themselves.
  • Full 360 rotation of objects. I want spikes jutting out from ceilings and walls.
  • A background plane is what I want to see the most (a foreground plane would also be nice). I hated how I couldn't even make a simple room interior in Brawl because I was unable to create a wall in the background.
  • Simple water implementation. Doesn't have to be anything fancy like rising water or anything. Just creating something like Great Bay or making a pool would be nice.
  • More variety in backgrounds and terrain. You should be able to mix terrain types.
  • Weather effects are something I'd be cool with but don't feel has to be included. Rain like on Delfino Plaza, wind like on Icicle Mountain, and snow like on Shadow Moses are what I'm talking about.
  • Some simple stage hazards beyond spikes would be nice. Falling platforms (not just blocks), poison gas, common enemies, etc.
  • An online function that allows players to share their creations with the community at large (with the ability to then edit downloaded stages), in addition to the ability to send console-registered friends a direct copy of a stage.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I hate the Blocks and many of those boring stage tiles.
When making a stage, I want it to have a theme. Like a jungle-stage, winter-stage, or whatever else. The only things you could do were like metal-castles and ruins. And some stages where you're outside. These 3 background themes aren't enough I guess. And the tiles need to be much better.
But imo that would take up too much space and I'd rather them make more better stages themselves and add more characters, instead of something like this. So tbh I'd like them to ditch the stagebuilder completely, but I know that's very unlikely. Only sad thing about that would be missing out on duelst lol, but Snake might not return anyway, so w/e.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
However, I must say, I am rather against being able to upload our own backgrounds or songs, simply because I know there will be some players whom would upload inappropriate content.
Fu king good point!

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
  • Weather effects are something I'd be cool with but don't feel has to be included. Rain like on Delfino Plaza, wind like on Icicle Mountain, and snow like on Shadow Moses are what I'm talking about.
I don't remember there being rain on Delfino Plaza... Did you mean Toon Link's Pirate Ship stage?

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
However, I must say, I am rather against being able to upload our own backgrounds or songs, simply because I know there will be some players whom would upload inappropriate content. That being said, I doubt uploading our own content will be an option. (Shrugs) Then again, anything is possible.
Well since you can't use custom stages online, this wouldn't be a problem. YOU'D be the one uploading custom music or backgrounds onto YOUR own stages and the only way you can play on them is offline on your own copy of the game. There isn't really that much of an issue with this feature.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yep. So if you want to beat Mario's butt with WFT while Mystikal's Shake Your Ass.

You can and there's no need to worry about the kiddies.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
  • Spawn Points I'm actually surprised this has yet to be mentioned. Brawl's auto creation of spawn points did just fine for the most part, though on some of the different styles of stages, it left something to be desired.
This would allow infinite cage matches where there is no way to be smashed out, so there would have to be limits

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I just want themes. I want to be able to load a Mario theme, or a Zelda theme to any stage I make.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I'm really split on the issue. Stage builder was Brawl's worst feature after the SSE. It could be so much more. There's really no reason that they couldn't include a stripped-down version of the software that they used to build the stages themselves. Sadly Nintendo follows a "Games are toys" philosophy instead of the more western interactive software philosophy.

The parts definitely needs to be smaller and the terrain should be allowed to be sculpted. An event system and a larger palette are mandatory. These really are not complex features.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm really split on the issue. Stage builder was Brawl's worst feature after the SSE. It could be so much more. There's really no reason that they couldn't include a stripped-down version of the software that they used to build the stages themselves. Sadly Nintendo follows a "Games are toys" philosophy instead of the more western interactive software philosophy.

The parts definitely needs to be smaller and the terrain should be allowed to be sculpted. An event system and a larger palette are mandatory. These really are not complex features.
"Worst feature after the SSE"
Does that mean it was amazing? Because SSE was amazing.

Khao

Smash Lord
Something I would really, really love, is rather than making several different blocks of different sizes and angles, they should put in a single block, but make it so you can grab each corner and stretch it towards another point in the grid.

Like, say you have this:

You grab a corner and throw it to another point like this:

And eventually can throw each corner wherever you like, and combine it with other blocks like this:

It'd be simple to implement, simple to use, and there'd be a lot of unique things you couldn't dream of doing with the current stage editor, especially with a relatively smaller grid than Brawl currently has.

Ideally, you could move all 8 corners of each block in a 3D plane, but that would take away from the simplicity that this system would have. Adding a second layer, just for backgrounds would be perfect, though.

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I didn't like the fact that you could only choose one song that played every time you played the stage. Why couldn't we choose more musics for the stage, like every pre-made stage had, is a mystery.

Hawk Flindaeton

Smash Cadet
WE NEED THE OPTION TO HAVE OUTSIDE MUSIC PLAYING ON THE STAGE!!!!

For instance: I want to listen to dubstep while I'm playing, but I also want it to be playing on the stage while I'm fighting.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
WE NEED THE OPTION TO HAVE OUTSIDE MUSIC PLAYING ON THE STAGE!!!!

For instance: I want to listen to dubstep while I'm playing, but I also want it to be playing on the stage while I'm fighting.
Rest assured, I'm pretty sure that a good amount of remixes of game themes will have dubstep vibes to them.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
-Hazards

-Higher building limits

-More different types of platforms and backgrounds

-My Music

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
  • Spawn Points I'm actually surprised this has yet to be mentioned. Brawl's auto creation of spawn points did just fine for the most part, though on some of the different styles of stages, it left something to be desired.
  • Grabable Ledges There needs to be a way to turn off/on a edge or corner to make it grabable or otherwise.
  • Textures/Backgrounds This has been touched upon. but an aspect I would like to address is the way the squares fit together in brawl's stage builder. they just appeared as individual parts and pieces making it look rather clunky, or unorganic. imagine putting a few blocks together and having them merge to one neat looking mass with the signature yoshi's island texture along with it.
  • The infinite wall aspect It should be available to build downward or outward right up to the blast box. think of the edges of bridge of Eldin, or the way Four-side or Saffron City 64 went all the way down. This is a feature that for sure could easily be implemented.
  • Save As... Having the ability to use existing stages as a rubric for creation could open a realm of possibilities. For the large part stage hazards are what make so few viable for competitive play. In Brawls stage builder, I built a stage called "Hyrule TempUL" U.L. standing for upper left. It was, as it sounds, simply a imitation of the upper-left landmass on the enormous behemoth of a stage it is. Being able to "crop" a stage, or remove the hazards would be a fun way to edit things for those who aren't so creatively minded.
  • Existing Assets there are many small and simple things that could be added to the stage builder. this is sorta the opposite of the previous in that we're bringing in elements from other existing stages. Think about the floating bumper from Peach's Castle 64 or the Chimera from New Pork City. There are lots of things that would be fun to see used in different ways.
  • Movement love it or hate it, movement was one of the more interesting thing that happen on stages, where it's a side scrolling level like Mario Bros, or a circular one like poke-floats or Mario cruise, there's much to be seen. to be able to adjust the pathing or the speed of which would definitely be a nice perk too. They could even go above and beyond and add metriod like flipping/rotating stages, or pokemon stadium style transformations.
  • Ladders In brawl, ladders were a mechanic that felt gimmicky at best, they need to be reworked.
All this.

Justin Bailey

Smash Cadet
Some sort of scripts/configuration so we can make the stage a little lively. (Such as custom movable platforms.)
Also custom lighting and something to import our own images to be used as a background. (I'm pretty sure that will never be used thanks to the maturity of some people. =/)

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
The following is what comes to mind as to what I'd like.
1. Spawn points

2. No more three separate themes. Just choose the background (bringing in the arctic background from target test 4) and size.
All parts are selectable. What if we want the scifi pieces using the sky background?

3. More parts especially those based the main franchises.

4. Removing spacing restrictions so it I want pillars right next to each other, I can. Related, make the ladders work.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Some sort of scripts/configuration so we can make the stage a little lively. (Such as custom movable platforms.)
Also custom lighting and something to import our own images to be used as a background. (I'm pretty sure that will never be used thanks to the maturity of some people. =/)
What's wrong with penisville?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Add our own music via USB.... let us customize the time of day, change lighting, add stage hazards... this list goes on and on.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
More variety in in the tiles/blocks/platforms you can use. In Brawl they were all grey and brown, very little colors and lifeless. I'd love to see some landscape platforms being included, such as grass, water and dirt. We need more backgrounds as well obviously, just 3 backgrounds to choose from in Brawl didn't cut it for me.

This might seem as a stretch, but it'd be a cool idea if we could create long custom stages so they can become sidescrollers similar to Mushroomy Kingdom.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
- Textures (grass, metal, dirt, cement etc.)
- Shape-able stages. Instead of having boxes, maybe you can shape the bottom of the stage like FD or battlefield
- More options as far as moving platforms/ stage hazards go. I think every stage hazard in the game should be usable for your custom stages. You should be able to input how often and where they appear.
- Moving stages/ transforming stages. This is ambitious, but it would be great.

RODO

Smash Ace
Instead of having to make a platform with blocks I hope you can choose from preset platforms (like ones that resemble FD or Battlefield). After that I'd say being able to use any preset stage's background as a background on top of several custom backgrounds (add more later through DLC). Also, we really need to be able to change the colors of objects.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
- Create platforms that's not Squares, but actually looks good.
- Get to decide where Fighters will Start.
- Ability to create a moving stage.
- A lot of Nintendo Franchise objects.
- Ability to create spawning Points for Enemies (Goombas, for example).
- decide weather. I wanna battle in Heavy rain and snowstorms and such!
- of course, textures, and such. And tiny details, like grass, blowing leaves, Icicles, etc.

And much more.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Customizable backgrounds, USB Music option, level scrolling to make a stage like Mushroomy Kingdom, weather effects, and whatever else interesting Sakurai could think of.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
  • Ability to stretch the stage to the blast zones. Actually, give us the option to adjust the blast zones themselves.
  • Full 360 rotation of objects. I want spikes jutting out from ceilings and walls.
  • A background plane is what I want to see the most (a foreground plane would also be nice). I hated how I couldn't even make a simple room interior in Brawl because I was unable to create a wall in the background.
  • Simple water implementation. Doesn't have to be anything fancy like rising water or anything. Just creating something like Great Bay or making a pool would be nice.
  • More variety in backgrounds and terrain. You should be able to mix terrain types.
  • Some simple stage hazards beyond spikes would be nice. Falling platforms (not just blocks), poison gas, common enemies, etc.
  • An online function that allows players to share their creations with the community at large (with the ability to then edit downloaded stages), in addition to the ability to send console-registered friends a direct copy of a stage.
Your asking for a good amount of stuff

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
My wants:
A "Sketch" Tool - You can sketch how the stage looks with the gamepad/bottom screen. Also from that, a color tool so you can color what you made, and you can have textures like wood, dirt, metal, etc.
More Backgrounds - It could be stuff like space, forest, underwater, snowy, etc. It could also use backgrounds from the other stages in the game.
Objects from other series - The stuff in stage creator, is utter bland and crap. We need to get stuff like Wispy Woods, or Arwings, or ? Blocks.
Background Variety - Geez, we need this a lot. The background of a stage really shows it's character. We can just get stuff like a tree, maybe some pokemon, maybe animal crossing villagers. Atleast get something like Cap's Blue Falcon parked next to Fox's arwing
Tweaks - Like Darkness, fogginess, blast zones, option to be floating or grounded, water height, weather, camera, etc

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Adjustable boundaries (blast zones), ya know so ya can have walk off edges or prevent the player from getting beneath the stage.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd like more realistic terrain with water, rocks, and stuff. Maybe a lava option as well.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
The stage builder objects ought to be more aesthetically pleasing. If the feature remains, I hope more time is dedicated to making the stages not appear dull.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Getting slightly concerned we haven't seen or heard anything about stage builder yet. Granted, it wasn't revealed on the dojo for Brawl until three months before the Japanese release...

Top Bottom