• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you change about Palutena?

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
Whether or not your a Palutena main, an Ex-Palutena main, a person who plans on maining Palutena, a Perverted Palutena Fanboy or someone who never even used Palutena, I think there is one thing about her that we can all agree on: Palutena is not competitively viable in Sm4sh and she (or the meta) would need a MAJOR reworking in order to make her so. But instead of sulking in how bad the supposed goddess at light is at fighting, let's talk about how she could be improved so she'd be slightly less terrible!

Let's imagine that patch 1.1.7 was just announced. Truly something that can only be achieved in Imagination Land!
And, if you want to imagine it, they were going to take requests for how they could make the meta more balanced, similar to the Smash Ballot.
Ignoring the fact that such an event would completely ruin the game's meta, let's think about how we could change Palutena so we'd see her more in competitive if that were to happen!

Here are two scenarios that I'd hope for:

Less ending lag on her moves. (I would give exact move names, but if I did, I would be listing 80% of her move set.)
Down Throw combo easier (Maybe it's just me, but I can hardly connect anything out of D-Throw.)
Autorecticle shoots faster.
Either make her tilts a lot faster or change them completely (Her tilts are absolutely horrible. Something has to be done to change it.)

Replace her Side and Down-B with Super Speed and Lightweight. (Sadly, I don't think this will ever happen. Seeing how little he cares about competitive this change would probably sound completely pointless to him.)
Either make her tilts a lot faster or change them completely (Did I mention her tilts are horrible? Because that's what completely kills Palutena for me.)

So, what would you want to see change?

Last edited:

Topaz Pikmin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Topaz_Pikmin
Well then. Apparently I missed a lot in the competitive scene. Like the fact more than one person uses Palutena.

Fine, you made your point. But I think we can both agree that her tilts need to change.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I'd say thing such as her laggy specials and miserable f-tilt but to be frank they've already been talked about on multiple threads so explaining the improvements they need here would be very redundant.

Thing is aside from those few faults Palutena has plenty of things going for her that really don't warrant much change. She has an incredible air game, a good combo starter with down throw, she's fast on the ground, has great air mobility, and a number of different kill moves. F-smash, D-smash, U-smash, U-tilt, Back throw, B-air, D-air, F-air (If off the stage) N-air (Off the stage and sometimes with stage spiking) U-air, Dash attack, counter (on some moves not all) she has plenty of strong KO options. And her mobility allows for a good defense game.

The only thing I would do to make reflect a more versatile option would be for the hit box that deals damage and knock back to come out faster so it can be used as a decent combo breaker because as of now she doesn't have any reliable combo breakers to when she is the victim of a combo string, especially by faster characters who are harder for her to handle due to how quick they can slip in and out of her defense option.

Top Bottom