• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you change about Palutena?

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
It would be nice if her f-tilt could be hold on like Pits angelring ( side b in Brawl ). Maybe with reflect ( but not mandatory ).

C3CC

Smash Lord
Come on, the ending lag on pretty much every single attack of hers is just plain ridiculous. We should get rid of that.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Come on, the ending lag on pretty much every single attack of hers is just plain ridiculous. We should get rid of that.
This. In the time it takes to Jab, diddy can roll behind her and grab.
Her aerials are all pretty awesome though

C3CC

Smash Lord
This. In the time it takes to Jab, diddy can roll behind her and grab.
Her aerials are all pretty awesome though
She does have some of the best aerials in the game. I would add a sweetspot to her F-Air so it's just like Zelda's, though. That way she would have yet another KO move.

Awesome avatar, by the way :D Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, right? That game was excellent.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
It's the first Spyro, where he's just chillin with his gems ^^

I think I understand why her fair doesn't get the sweetspot. It seems as if Sakurai wanted autocancelling on landing to balance the power of the move. It's why some traditionally powerful moves have low knockback to them now, like Sheik or Luigi's fair. It was one of the main arguments against running smooth lander customs on everyone.

Pal gets no landing lag on hers, so she can just spam them out as pokes. She increases her hurtbox to do it, but still safe

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
There's an upcoming balance patch, I hope Palutena gets some buffs
I agree, she could get some few buffs, I hope this patch brings some changes to her.

As for what I would change to her, I'm going to break down on every move:

1. Jab: Her jab comes out fast and it's amazing for me, it's probably among the fastest and most ranged jabs in the game, what I dislike is how ilogical it's ending lag is, by the time I finish the jab, somebody can roll behind, spot dodge or even jab me back (if they have faster jabs). I want an ending lag decrease on this move, maybe even erase it (if that doesn't make it broken).
  2. Utilt: I almost never (if not never) use this tilt for many reasons, it's hard to hit, leaves her completely exposed to punishment and it deals damage almost equal to an fair (just a little bit higher), not to mention that hitting an enemy makes it even laggier so it's not really that good, I prefer to do other things instead of a tilt actually.
  3. Ftilt: This tilt is so SLOW, like gosh sometimes I wonder why should it ever be used, it does considerable shield damage but you STILL can get punished, actually, you don't require a lot of brains to punish this extremely laggy and completely unrewarding move, I recommend making it faster, weaker and make it's hitboxes connect with each other (like her utilt, kind of).
  4. Dtilt: Among her tilts, this is probably the most safe to do, but it's still kinda laggy and, like previous posts mentioned, it doesn't hit enemies on the edge (which most dtilts or even dsmashes can do), my recommendation is similar to the previous posts as well, more damage and lower hitbox, I am fine by using this tilt, it's way better than a ****y ftilt at least.
  5. DashA: This attack is amazing in my oppinion, has kill potential, a good hitbox and inv-frames, what else can you ask for? I would mind less ending lag for it however, because whiffing it is just horrible and exposes her a lot if you ask me.
  1. Usmash: I love her usmash, it's great for killing and it's range is ridiculous, but what I can't get over is that the range is kinda messed up, some previous posts already stated this as well, the range should be more consistent and it should last a bit longer, there are those times where I get hit and the usmash animation still happens, but they don't get hit at all, I would like this to get fixed, because it pisses me off sometimes.
  2. Fsmash: Another fine smash, it has great kill potential and does considerable damage, the windbox is fine but I wouldn't mind a stronger windbox, a post around here stated that the windbox should be stronger the more you charge it and I personally would like to second this, it's kind of ilogical to charge a move and see that it's windbox remains the same (even if logic is not applied to games, ever). Other than that, I would reduce it's lag, but hey, it's not as laggy as the goddamn ftilt.
  3. Dsmash: I have mixed feels for this smash, the range is fairly bad for a dsmash and it's pretty weird as well, the hitbox should be way bigger (the whole size of the wings should be the range, not just a portion of it), I hardly hit it's "sweetspot" (which requires the enemy to be in your face, literally) and it's sourspot should have more knockback. I would like to apply the windbox revamp for the fsmash here as well, the current windbox is atrocious, almost unexistant and I really would like to see a revamp for this smash.
  1. Nair: I like this aerial because it can follow up, deals considerable damage and can punish airdodging if timed right, I personally don't mind a change to this aerial, but I do recommend a bigger round hitbox for it and also make it have less landing lag, other than that, it's great.
  2. Fair: This aerial is just the best thing they have ever done for her, it's beautiful, almost like buffing it would make it broken, the only buff I would give to it is more damage (7% to 10% should be enough).
  3. Bair: This is also a pretty good aerial, fast, lots of damage and kills nicely, I wouldn't mind less ending lag, but overall, this aerial is just as great as the nair.
  4. Uair: For me, this one is fine, it has a ridiculous amount of knockback, specially with rage on, what i hate is that missing it leaves her completely exposed, I would like a change on it as well, I would also round it's damage from 9 to 10, just saying.
  5. Dair: I can't, for the sake of me, land the spike on this move, I can HARDLY hit this move actually, the range for the spikes is atrocious and failing it pretty much means you're going to get punished hard, I love when I spike with it, but it could use a buff on the frames (like most posts previous to mine state), that way it's safer to hit and more rewarding to land.

Her grabs could use more utility, only having dthrow as a combo set up is kind of annoying when the opponent knows how to DI, her uthrow should have kill potential at considerable %, her bthrow should connect into bair and her fthrow should be made a true combo for Fair. Other than that, I am grateful she got dthrow to be able to combo.

As for her specials, Warp should have more lenght (the current one is fine but... I feel it lacks something) in exchange of not being able to hit, her Reflect should damage enemies when they touch it, aside from lasting longer and making it a bit bigger (the current one does it's job but it leaves her exposed, I don't like it that much), her Counter should be Marth/Lucina-esque, because right now it's probably the suckiest counter in the game and the laggiest as well. Her Autoreticle should have more range, the reticle should lock on opponents and the bolts should be fired instantly when the move is casted, it should also have less ending lag because, even if I like it, it leaves you so exposed that it's cringeworthy in my oppinion.

She is fine for me right now, I like her as a main and I wouldn't change a lot of things for her, but I really want her tilts, her smashes and her dair and default specials to be better, because sometimes I feel like they're just too hard to land and leaving you exposed doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
Everyone here has pointed out some of the most obvious things about Palutena's weaknesses, being her tilts and smashes, which I completely agree with, but I won't go more into that since it's been covered. The biggest things I would change would be her specials. I would make a few tweaks to how some of them work, but overall I would just rearrange which ones are her defaults.

First I would make Jump Glide her default Up Special. I love her Warp, but Jump Glide is not only extremely good, but makes her moveset more unique.

I would keep Auto Reticle as Neutral, but tweak it a bit. The first thing I would do is let her keep her momentum when using it in the air. I hate how she just drops like a rock when using it making her very easy to punish. I think if she gained a floaty effect like when Robin charges Thunder or when Zelda uses Din's Fire in the air, it would make her harder to punish.

Her Side Special should be Super Speed. Besides being a good move, zipping around the stage with it makes her look incredibly graceful.

I'm conflicted on her Down Special because there are a few options I would choose and none of them are a Down Special she can actually use. My first thought is to make Reflect Barrier her Down, but I would change how it works in the air. When falling, her momentum should stop like Mario using his cape. It's incredibly hard to time reflecting projectiles while airborne, because if you put out the reflector you then immediately fall out from behind it making you vulnerable if you're opponent aims a bit low. But to time it right, you have to wait until the projectile is right on top of you making it very risky for little reward.

But besides the Reflect Barrier, I would also like her Warp. However if she gets both Warp and Jump Glide, I would make Warp her Up Special and Jump Glide her Down Special.

Lastly, I would consider Heavenly Light under the condition that it has a lot of improvements made to it. Others have suggested some good ideas, but I don't know what would be best. I just like how it looks and think it is very fitting for Palutena. If it were a better, more useful move, I would love it to be in her default set.

None of this is likely to happen, but given the opportunity to create my ideal Palutena, that's what I would do.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
I'm conflicted on her Down Special because there are a few options I would choose and none of them are a Down Special she can actually use. My first thought is to make Reflect Barrier her Down, but I would change how it works in the air. When falling, her momentum should stop like Mario using his cape. It's incredibly hard to time reflecting projectiles while airborne, because if you put out the reflector you then immediately fall out from behind it making you vulnerable if you're opponent aims a bit low. But to time it right, you have to wait until the projectile is right on top of you making it very risky for little reward.

Lastly, I would consider Heavenly Light under the condition that it has a lot of improvements made to it. Others have suggested some good ideas, but I don't know what would be best. I just like how it looks and think it is very fitting for Palutena. If it were a better, more useful move, I would love it to be in her default set.
Her down B are extremely good, mainly Lightweight, it makes her as swift as the wind and allows her to be more agressive, Celestial Fireworks is good to negate quite some approaches from the air, besides of that little inv frames she gets from using it. Her Counter is fine, you just gotta read through the opponent to use it (just like any other counter).

Your changes are a bit odd if you ask me, but like some people say: "Opinions, opinions". I personally would like Auto Reticle to lock on opponents when firing and add the momentum you stated, also make Heavenly Light more useful, it's VERY fitting on her, but it has little use. I would recommend making it heal party members in the same rate it hits enemies, but last less, making it a great 2vs2 tool to use.

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
Make F/D-smash come out faster. I'm fine with everything else. Maybe even make warp have no lag to compensate for not having a hit box like Zelda's

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
Her down B are extremely good, mainly Lightweight, it makes her as swift as the wind and allows her to be more agressive, Celestial Fireworks is good to negate quite some approaches from the air, besides of that little inv frames she gets from using it. Her Counter is fine, you just gotta read through the opponent to use it (just like any other counter).

Your changes are a bit odd if you ask me, but like some people say: "Opinions, opinions". I personally would like Auto Reticle to lock on opponents when firing and add the momentum you stated, also make Heavenly Light more useful, it's VERY fitting on her, but it has little use. I would recommend making it heal party members in the same rate it hits enemies, but last less, making it a great 2vs2 tool to use.
I know her Lightweight is very good, I just don't prefer using it and wouldn't want it as her default. It's just a personal playstyle thing I guess. I still really like it as an alternate custom. I usually use Celestial Fireworks as her Down Special when I get the chance to play with customs on, so of the existing Down Specials, it's my favorite, but I still would prefer a number of other things to it. Again it's fine as an alternate custom. And Counter, besides the fact I don't think it suits Palutena at all and having both a reflect and a counter really limits her offensive options, the Counter as it is does not punish hard enough for how difficult it is to hit. I land it plenty, but the precise timing needed should make it much more powerful. Most opponents don't fear being hit by it at all. But like I said, even if it were a better move I would prefer something more interesting in it's place.

I like your idea of Heavenly Light being a healing move, but I would also want it to be viable in 1 v 1's. Then again, having Jump Glide and Super Speed already makes her a really good character. If Heavenly Light were a default move with them maybe it would be best not to make it overly powerful. Just slightly better is all I'd want. I did like someone elses idea of the move lasting a few extra seconds after she stops so she could kind of deploy the zone of damage and move away.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
I know her Lightweight is very good, I just don't prefer using it and wouldn't want it as her default. It's just a personal playstyle thing I guess. I still really like it as an alternate custom. I usually use Celestial Fireworks as her Down Special when I get the chance to play with customs on, so of the existing Down Specials, it's my favorite, but I still would prefer a number of other things to it. Again it's fine as an alternate custom. And Counter, besides the fact I don't think it suits Palutena at all and having both a reflect and a counter really limits her offensive options, the Counter as it is does not punish hard enough for how difficult it is to hit. I land it plenty, but the precise timing needed should make it much more powerful. Most opponents don't fear being hit by it at all. But like I said, even if it were a better move I would prefer something more interesting in it's place.

I like your idea of Heavenly Light being a healing move, but I would also want it to be viable in 1 v 1's. Then again, having Jump Glide and Super Speed already makes her a really good character. If Heavenly Light were a default move with them maybe it would be best not to make it overly powerful. Just slightly better is all I'd want. I did like someone elses idea of the move lasting a few extra seconds after she stops so she could kind of deploy the zone of damage and move away.
I still think Heavenly Light was intended to be a teams custom, but I wanted it to heal because I find it fitting if you ask me, healing both the user and her teammates would be absurdly good even if it's a little over 15% (by the time opponents come back), it would be a Nosferatu with thousand times more range and without having to hit enemies for it.

I agree that her customs are already plenty good and I also think both a Counter and a Reflect limit her default playstyle a lot, if they replaced either of those with Lightweight or Super Speed, she would be amazing in defaults. At least for me, the default moveset works wonders in for glory, where campers (Reflect OP) and little macs (Counter OP) reside.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
I still think Heavenly Light was intended to be a teams custom, but I wanted it to heal because I find it fitting if you ask me, healing both the user and her teammates would be absurdly good even if it's a little over 15% (by the time opponents come back), it would be a Nosferatu with thousand times more range and without having to hit enemies for it.

I agree that her customs are already plenty good and I also think both a Counter and a Reflect limit her default playstyle a lot, if they replaced either of those with Lightweight or Super Speed, she would be amazing in defaults. At least for me, the default moveset works wonders in for glory, where campers (Reflect OP) and little macs (Counter OP) reside.

Sounds very cool ^^

Heavenly light should be actually more usefull.

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
When the pillar of light appears it should always deal damage. Now, sometimes when Palutena gets hit just before she releases the pillar, it appears, but won't do anything. Thats just not cool.

Her reflect should be less laggy.

Her neutral-B should either deal more damage or it should be faster on recovery. When the target doesn't appear, because the opponent is too far away or he is dodging etc. the lag should be massively reduced.

Her smashes - which are kind of her trademarks - should deal even more knockback.

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Give her forward air a sweet spot like Zelda's so Zelda mains actually have a reason to say we took their fair. lightweight Dthrow to double sweetspot fair anyone? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But for serious changes to make her better (though I feel she is pretty balanced and seriously underage even as default palutena) as a few people have suggested just make her auto-reticle target people even when they have invincibility. I think this would primarily improve her okizeme game by a lot with a lot more option to punish characters getting up from knockdown.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the lag on her Smashes and even the mediocre/weird hitboxes could be more tolerable if she was character quick, long ranging tilts. I mean she'd the only character with anything like a Staff in this game, why not put it to use and make the range of attacks involving her staff longer? Example: giving her neutral air the range of Shulk's neutral but keeping everything else about it the same (not that neutral air isn't already a good move, just using it as an example.)

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the lag on her Smashes and even the mediocre/weird hitboxes could be more tolerable if she was character quick, long ranging tilts. I mean she'd the only character with anything like a Staff in this game, why not put it to use and make the range of attacks involving her staff longer? Example: giving her neutral air the range of Shulk's neutral but keeping everything else about it the same (not that neutral air isn't already a good move, just using it as an example.)
Haha palutenas mobility, especially with lightweight, makes the idea of her Nair having the same range as a sword character sounds slightly op to me. Especially if it lasts just as long as it currently does. I definitely wouldn't complain if it happened though.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
What i think would complete palutena:
-Increase her startup lag and endlag from her fsmash and down smash. Are way too laggy and punishable on whiff. Increasing its wind pressure when opponent is shielding would be epic.

-improve her ftilt to be a multihitting shield poker attack with more dmg intead of the bulltshid it is now. This tilt is pretty bad as it is right now.

-increase the power of her downair. For how difficult and situational it is, its lacklustre. If the frames are going to be kept, make it hit like a truck. Something in the lines of ganons or yoshis.

-make her counter hit more constantly. Most of the times I find myself succeding in the counter but failing to hit the enemy because he slightly moved during his attack. Also make it stronger, something in the line of shulks. She is a goddes ffs

Last but not least, I would love her Foward B to be improved an make its knoback sronger and more consistant.... to be used not only as an antiproyectile move, but also as a “get out of my face“ attack. A knock back strong enought to keep people away from her but not killing them. Something in the lines of how fox reflector used to push peeps in Melee.

Alll of this changes would make her extremely good. Not OP but good.

For me, her main issue is that she cant lad her killing moves with ease, and whiffing them is very easy, and punishable. Killing with Uair and Usmash is nice and dandy, but when opponentes know those are ur main killing moves! Get very aware of it.
She needs to kill more consistently without getting as exposed as she gets right now with all her laggy moves

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
For me, her main issue is that she cant lad her killing moves with ease, and whiffing them is very easy, and punishable. Killing with Uair and Usmash is nice and dandy, but when opponentes know those are ur main killing moves! Get very aware of it.
She needs to kill more consistently without getting as exposed as she gets right now with all her laggy moves
Weird, I usually condition people to fall into my killing moves, most normally dthrowing them, expecting to get uair'd, but instead airdodge to fall on the bottom-spot charged usmash, there are a lot of other conditioning methods, but they don't work with everyone.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'd change her entire special moveset to how she fought when she was possessed by the Chaos Kin. I feel as though all her specials are pretty boring.

lostleader

Smash Rookie
NNID
lostleader
Up Tilt wouldn't take 5 hours just get to it's kill
Counter either gets more power or less end lag when used
Warp gets a wind box

please and thank you

BrazenBee

Smash Rookie
Reduce lag on forward tilt, since that's just silly at the moment. I need a reason to use it. Maybe increase the hit-box on u-tilt so it doesn't whiff as easily. D-tilt seems fine.

Reduce end lag on down smash and maybe f-smash too, or buff its wind-box. U-smash seems fine considering the beam.

Reduce end lag on d-air and/or buff its hit-box, and maybe reduce landing lag on n-air for air to ground mixups.

Slightly buff the recovery of Rocket Jump (more height and some horizontal control) and reduce lag. I want to go maximum "MAGGOTS" on people.

Controversial stuff incoming:

Consider how Palutena's specials are all based on Powers from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Most are well implemented into the game, except for a couple.

First, Counter. Considering how many counters there are in the game and how Palu's is arguably the worst, maybe replace it with Land Mine as a default Down-B, or swap with Celestial Firework and make that default. Land Mine could work like Snake's C4, giving a strategic layer in playing her and giving her options with her default kit. Meteor Shower could work as a projectile attack, or maybe Super Armor as a reverse Lightweight (slows you down, but increases the damage and knock-back you deal, as well as giving some Super Armor properties for the duration). Just brainstorming though.

Also, Heavenly Light could do with adjusting. Maybe reduce its power but make it a buff attack, similar to the power up in Smash Run. Not only would it increase its usage, but it is also truer to its origins in Uprising. Along with this, maybe increase the range of Autoreticle and make it fire successfully more often. Also reduce lag on Explosive Flame so it is slightly safer to use, and also allow it to slightly change angle, similarly to some tilts and f-smashes. Therefore, all of her neutral specials would not only be more even to each other, but actually good moves. Again, brainstorming.

Otherwise, I love her character and her play-style. She is really slept on in the current meta-game, to the point that people are almost surprised when they see her.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
First off I'd love if Explosive Flame had a hitbox on the staff at the very start of the attack that would deal set knockback throwing the enemy into the flame. It'd come out quick making the attack useful at close range and not so entirely dependent on timing.

Change Counter to a paralyzing counter to make it more distinct from all the vanilla counters. Call it Light Shield too and base it off that one attack in Uprising (Cover your eyes!). Counter is a boring name and already in use for the Fire Emblem Characters.

Something I'd give every character is a Z Air. Not really fair that handful have it and the rest don't. It's a button that's just sitting there doing nothing. In her case I'd move her Wrap to her Z Air because I don't like full on specials being Warps that don't do anything other than Warp. This would of course increase her recovery versatility as well as give her an entirely new recovery special. Haven't really come up with anything to replace it yet. Need to replay Uprising.

Everyone else has already mentioned the essential things. Better tilts, better auto reticle, have reflect barrier last longer, better wind hitboxs.

Oh and make it so Super Speed can grab the ledge. Really sucks to use that and plant yourself face first in the ledge only to suicide.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
As much as I enjoy using Palutena, as well as I've done with her, the one thing I'd change would be that her attacks would be faster, because I've taken a lot of damage, and just wished that her main attacks were quicker.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
Without taking trivialities like "balance" and "fairness" into consideration:
- Make opponents flinch when they come into contact with Reflect Barrier. I thought that this would happen pre-launch and was all hyped to try pulling some Urien Aegis Reflector shenanigans.
- Make Lightweight her default Down Special. Half the roster has counters, Palutena doesn't need hers.
- Make Autoretical track for a second before locking on.
- Make her tilts faster.
- Give her the ability to buffer one aerial move out of Warp before becoming helpless.
- Give her Zero Suit Samus' fusion alternate outfit. Don't judge. I think it'd look good on her.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I would change up tilt hitbox, forward tilt, lag of down tilt, hitbox of bair, and her spike timing! I'm not used to it, and probably won't be until I either go full secondary or main with Palutena...

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
I would change up tilt hitbox, forward tilt, lag of down tilt, hitbox of bair, and her spike timing! I'm not used to it, and probably won't be until I either go full secondary or main with Palutena...
As a Palu main, trust me, Dair spike is a challenge by itself to land, I'm able to hit most of her moves (yes, luckily enough, tilts included), but dair is so weird, clunky and unsafe it's unbelievable, although the true satisfaction of landing it is pretty much unmatched by a lot of things to be honest.

I told it on a previous post of mine that Dair should be a tiny bit more rewarding to land considering how insanely difficult it is to even hit, I would really recommend either a damage increase, a hitbox rework or at least reduce it's lag, because, aside from ftilt, it's among her laggiest moves.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Without taking trivialities like "balance" and "fairness" into consideration:
- Make opponents flinch when they come into contact with Reflect Barrier. I thought that this would happen pre-launch and was all hyped to try pulling some Urien Aegis Reflector shenanigans.
- Make Lightweight her default Down Special. Half the roster has counters, Palutena doesn't need hers.
- Make Autoretical track for a second before locking on.
- Make her tilts faster.
- Give her the ability to buffer one aerial move out of Warp before becoming helpless.
- Give her Zero Suit Samus' fusion alternate outfit. Don't judge. I think it'd look good on her.
The sexiness of that would shock even Luffy.

I wish warp had a longer range and/or hitboxes like Zelda's/Shiek's teleports, currently it just feels like a downgraded version of theirs.
I also wanna say her F-air should have a sweetspot like Zelda/C-Falcon, but she already has a lot of pretty good kill moves so it might be unbalanced.

-You should definitely be able to decide the distance explosive flame lands by pushing forward or back after inputting it; really dumb that's not already there, especially considering how slow it is to come out; the enemy will have moved by then.
-Auto-reticule should fire sooner, have better tracking, or be an instant beam instead.
-Heavenly light should have a use outside of trophy rush, maybe it should heal or something? There's various things that could be done to make it better…
-Counter should be the same as Lucina/Marth... instead of a slower, weaker and shorter ranged version of it (-.-)
-Angelic Missile should have much faster startup so it's not the most obvious and punishable thing like it is now, perhaps at the cost of it's damage.

I also generally wish Palutena just had overall more power and weight, she's supposed to be a goddess but she just often just feels like a slow and weak character (or like she's holding back so much of her power… which is very unsatisfying to play with)
At least she's tall like a goddess. (looks at Rosalina)
Actually, I take that back. She should have been a little bit larger IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wofye

Smash Rookie
I would reduce the lag on her smash attacks, they're all way too punishable, my only safe KO option is D-throw into Uair, and possibly Bair, Although I've been KOing with her up-tilt more often however it becomes unsafe a few frames in.

Also less ending lag on the forward tilt would be nice.

As Bert HM said, her Warp is a watered down Farore's Wind, so how about it doesn't put you in free fall and give less ending lag so that you can potentially warp>attack (Can give more combo options for her).

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Well there are the obvious things like the ending lag or slow moves so i will skip on listing this.

I want a shieldbreaker-effect on the tip of the Fsmash.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I just had an idea for a massive overhaul that Sakurai will never do, but I figured I'd post it anyway:

Make Palutena have two modes, and you can change between them with Down B.

The first keeps her the same as her default. She has Warp, Reflect, and Autoreticle.

The second makes her slightly faster and lighter/floatier (though, not as drastic as Lightweight), with her attacks doing slightly more damage, but less knockback. Her specials change to Jump Glide, Super Speed, and Explosive Flame. She is faster and does more damage, but she is easier to KO, similar to when she is in Lightweight mode.

Also, of course, less startup/ending lag on her Smashes and Ftilt. Maybe make her Smashes have slightly less knockback to balance her out? Additionally, change the angle of Dthrow to a more vertical one for easier followups.

This idea was intended to settle the customs debate surrounding her, and blend what I thought was the best aspects of both her defaults and customs. In this scenario, Palutena does not have any customs, like the DLC characters.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Less cooldown on her Forward smash and Down smash would be fine. I wish her Forward tile is fast so that way it can be safe to use and have one useful tile instead of having to jab all the time. Having her default projectile to look like the Mario bros or Pikachu's, but different though so she'll have more options than her Autoreticle and Explosive Flame. Problemly not gonna happen, but thats how I would change her.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Her neutral B needs the homing effect and more range, all off her moves with the exception of fair, bair, and uair need to drop 5 frames. Her reflect needs more knock back and longer duration, down smash needs a bigger wind box, her warp either needs a wind box or full invincibility, fair needs to do 9% because it stales often because of how much it's used. As for her down B counter...get that **** out of here! I've been hit countless times because of the huge 9 frame start-up that this move has for no reason. It should be changed to celestial firework or lightweight

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I could say many small fixes, but I'll just go over the two big ones I think would at least bump her up to mid tier.

1. Drastically increase her airspeed. All of Palutena's aerials are very good and can have a ton of use, but her slow air speed prevents them from being used to the fullest. If they made her slower on the ground to compensate, that's fine. Better airspeed would grant her much better, approach, combo, ledgeguarding, etc. options.

2. Swap out Counter for Lightweight. This is a completely obvious choice and I don't think people would be sad to see Counter become a custom move (considering how useless most counters tend to be on a competitive level). She can keep her other specials. I like Autoreticile and Warp and Reflect proves its worth in some matchups (like against Villager).

There's also little fixes like buffing the speed of her grab and tilts (or at least giving them IASA frames). But, these two are the big ones and, if Palutena got these two buffs in a patch, she would definitely be a lot higher on the tier list.

Top Bottom