• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would it take to make Miis tournament legal?

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
That depends largely on a number of questions that we don't even have answers for yet.

Are the Miis balanced? Are they easily transferred in some way? If not transferable, can they just be easily customized?

I feel like your question isn't going to even be answerable until maybe a month after release.

MJ_Air

Smash Rookie
I don't think enough information is released to know really if the Mii's should be banned or not.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I was told they were already. But let's say they aren't. Theoretically, what would the Miis have to be in order for them to be playable in tournaments?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The better question to ask here is, what would it take to make Miis banned in tournaments?

FYI, not being allowed in random online matches, aka not against people on your friend list, is not a valid answer as there are several possible reasons why they aren't allowed in random matches. With the most likely being so that things such as Hitler or a face made to look like a **** can't be used.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It will take the games release to find out if they're tournament legal.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Like, would there have to be a set weight and height that everyone would have to agree with, to make the info perfect on Miis when playing against or for them in the tournaments? Would there be restrictions on what Mii face you could put on even?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There's not really any doubt they'll be legal at this point. It's three characters. It's not clear what degree of choice players will have in their parameters, but that's the only real point of doubt. The idea of banning them in general is really just too crazy to consider unless there's something big we don't know that would force us to.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sakurai's most recent PoTD says the Small Miis are fast and big Miis are powerful which would suggest that small Miis are also weaker and biggers Miis are slower, with main difference between the two Miis he compared being height. So it is possible weight won't play that much of a role for Miis, besides maybe adding to hurt boxes. That doesn't scream ban worthy in and of itself.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Not really no. The theory is simple when you get down to it.

Small Miis = fast but weak, and possibly even die easier

Bigger Miis = strong but slow, and are possible hard to kill

Of course things could never go the way they should in theory, Small Miis could have relatively good kill power and other stuff. That is however impossible to know without getting the game first. As of this moment, nothing about them scream ban worthy.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
But does that mean there's only two flavors, one fast one strong, or does that mean Miis are a continuum of strength, where the smaller they are, the faster they get, or the bigger they are, the stronger they get? I interpreted the PotD to mean the latter, which does add a lot of unpredictability to the game.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
But does that mean there's only two flavors, one fast one strong, or does that mean Miis are a continuum of strength, where the smaller they are, the faster they get, or the bigger they are, the stronger they get? I interpreted the PotD to mean the latter, which does add a lot of unpredictability to the game.
It would only add unpredictability in online matches where you can't see what the opponent is picking, which is another possible reason Miis could be banned from random online matches, just like custom moves. However in a tournament you will know what opponent will be picking, as you will watch them do it, so the unpredictability becomes moot.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It would only add unpredictability in online matches where you can't see what the opponent is picking, which is another possible reason Miis could be banned from random online matches, just like custom moves. However in a tournament you will know what opponent will be picking, as you will watch them do it, so the unpredictability becomes moot.
But if the strength and speed was a continuum, let's say a shade smaller makes them a shade speedier or something, wouldn't there realistically be no way to predict or adjust to the different shadings?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
But if the strength and speed was a continuum, let's say a shade smaller makes them a shade speedier or something, wouldn't there realistically be no way to predict or adjust to the different shadings?
Uhmmm, what I said in the post you quotes still applies. It doesn't change anything of what I said, as you would still know before hand what you are getting, in person anyway.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I doubt Mii's/Custom Movesets/Amiibos would be utilized in Super Smash Bros. 4 competitive play AT ALL.

These things had far too many variables to a game that is IMPOSSIBLE to perfectly balance.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Even if Miis are unbalanced, that doesn't mean they'll be outright banned. MK was never banned. Finding the perfect height might just be part of the Mii meta, and there might be multiple heights that are good or usable.

I think the only thing that would make them banned is if they were too hard to load into a tournament-owned console OR if they were broken in some way. The Smash community historically isn't big on outright banning characters.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Okay, let's take an extreme case. Let's say we have Ultima the Mii Fighter, and let's also say that Ultima was perfectly tuned to be the most powerful Mii ever. There are only like... 5 variables that we know of, so it's not really hard for a pro player to min/max that. Would this min/maxing make Ultima more powerful than whatever our top tiers are? Not necessarily. There can easily be caps on Ultima's power, so there's no reason to assume that he'll be the strongest.

It's actually very likely that Miis will end up mid tier instead of high or low tier. We just don't know yet.

I still maintain that the big hurdle to overcome will be "How easy is it to upload your custom Miis to a tournament console?" and not "How do we put rules on them to make them not broken?"

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
A very VERY carefully structured set of regulations. Honestly at that point we wouldn't be allowing Mii's as they are, but rather a stripped down version of them.

I imagine that IF there is a default Mii loadout for each type, that loadout will be legal though.

Top Bottom