• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to start practicing?

CLee143

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone,

I went to my first PM meet up yesterday and it was pretty cool.
It was super exciting to see how good people were, and it opened my eyes to how much I needed to learn.
Anyways, what are some things I can practice at home in training/against cpus?
I've got wavedashing/landing pretty much down, except that I still need to perfect it, like determining how far I dash/land.
I looked at the approach guide and that seems like a good place to start.
I also want to practice my fireball wavelands and possibly shffls (i never seem to get luigis timing right for those)
Any other tips or advice on what to practice?
I also have almost 0 knowledge on matchups or stages (although I do feel at home on battlefield and melee yoshis, platforms yay!)

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Generally in order of importance

The basics:
  • Ledgedash
  • Smooth, controlled, yet seemingly erratic movement through dash dances and wavedashes
  • Sweetspotting and ledge-regrab techs
  • OoS stuff (Usmash, Up-B, WD, shield drop)
Luigi-specific:
  • Rising tornado
  • Chaingrabs and grab followups for different fall-classes
  • Misfire farming
  • Ledgehop aerial / fireball waveland / regrab
  • Wavedash forward > turnaround
  • RAR wavedash
  • Wavedash back > Ftilt without stopping
Luigi kata:
  • Jab > grab / dash grab / jump-cancel grab / Ftilt / Dtilt / Up-B
  • WD back > Utilt / Usmash / Fireball
  • WD forward > jab / grab / Ftilt / Dsmash / Up-B
  • Fireball waveland > grab
  • Footstool > Down-B
  • Fair > Dtilt (best to use against enemies so you know the right timing with hitstun)
  • Make your own!
This should be enough to keep you busy.
Double aerials and aerial > waveland are more important for Luigi than shffl.

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Pretty solid post by Cubelarooso there. I think "Smooth, controlled, yet seemingly erratic movement through dash dances and wavedashes" as he said is one of the most important parts if not THE most important part of playing Luigi. Try mixing up wavedashes together with dashes and be careful not to fall into predictable wavedash habits (WD out WD in for instance). I think it's important to find your style (mine is currently a read/punish style) but that will only come in time, so there is not a real need to consider it yet I believe.

It took me a long time to become somewhat comfortable with Luigi and I did that mostly by practicing against CPU's for my movements and combos. Just be careful once you get that stuff down to limit your time against CPU's otherwise 1) you'll develop bad habits since computers won't punish them and 2) you'll become very predictable since CPU's can't adapt.

Last edited:

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
If you don't have anyone else to play with, fighting CPU's is good for getting down sweetspots, spacing, and learning to quickly recognize and react to openings (techs, whiffs, shields, OoS, etc.), but once you get that down you need to move past them.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Walking after a WD, and different WD length/angles are very important to the character.

Top Bottom