• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to practice offline?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
This is gonna be a quick post. I'm just wondering what kind of things I should be practicing offline against a CPU. Suggestions please.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Perfect waveland applications, pivot applications (practice it a lot), edge cancels, ledge tricks.

That's a good start

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
Movement. Plug in a second controller so you can get an opponent that doesn't move/attack (though a level 1 CPU doesn't do all that much anyway) and just practice moving. If you ever drop L-Cancels, work on those, and try them both whiffing the attack and hitting the attack, as the timing is different.

I like to try and do something 10 times in a row without messing up. If I do, I stop right there, go do something else, and come back later to see if I can do it again in less attempts. It's a good way of building muscle memory IMO.

Don't put in too much offline practice time, I do 15 mins a day unless a tournament is coming up. It's not worth the time unless you have a real thing you need to learn.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Name-Entry glitch, practice movement around the stages with a more limited camera, practice implementing combos with fluid movement on low-level CPUs, practice gimmicks against them. Perfect edge waveland is an important one to practice. Shield dropping is good to practice.

Moonwalking would be awesome to practice, but it's really tough. I've only personally been able to moonwalk for a few frames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom