• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to practice next as a beginner?

Cav

Smash Rookie
Hi guys first post on smashboards. I'm pretty new to competitive smash (only been playing for about 3 months) and I immediately fell in love with Ganon (well i went through like 5 character switches but I always came back to Ganon) and want to really try to master this character and start participating/winning tournaments. I feel like I've gotten L-canceling down and wavedashing (could always be improved as I don't always hit the L-cancel perfectly on some angles and wavedashes dont always end up perfect) and I was wondering where to go from there? Do i work on his movement, what should I learn first in terms of advanced movement? Do i keep practicing spacing? What about stuff from the ledge?

I know the answer will probably "Work on everything" but I like to take things in steps rather than overall.

Also, what neat tricks can i utilize in 20xx, I really only use flash red on missed L-cancel?

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
First of all, you want to constantly practicing your L-cancels and wavedashing as much as you can.

You should look into wavelanding(wavedash out of falling, not immediately after jumping), waveland out of ledge, practicing your out-of-ledge options, and practicing combos on low-level CPUs.

Practicing spacing is important, but is something you learn more from playing against people. You can practice spacing on low-level CPUs to get the basic jist of it. You can also practice on high-level CPUs do learn defensive spacing, but you don't want to rely on it as you learn bad habits.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
http://smashboards.com/threads/what-to-do-as-a-complete-beginner.384730/

Threads like this pop up all the time. Take the time to explore these boards. The only info that is hard to find is the stuff buried in Linguini's main thread. You will learn a lot by doing some reading, watching a few vids, and re-reading/re-watching. Then come back with some specific questions. Play people and record yourself if possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom