• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to learn next?

SNEAKY_URKEL

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to competitive smash in general, and the character that I like the most is Fox, and learning him here also slightly carries over to Melee, so that's a plus. I can consistently SHFFL, short hop double laser, and waveshine okay. Dashdancing is easy, and I've been able to apply it pretty well. What should I move on to next to really make my Fox faster than he already is?

CeLL

Smash Lord
Wavelanding, multishining, and ledgedashing if you don't know them. Foxtrotting, but people really don't use it. Shield dropping and Isai dropping are good to know. Make sure you can RAR. I assume you can wavedash because you can waveshine. Start teching everything if you're not. Ledge teching is helpful to learn, too. Make sure you can wall jump to aid your recovery. You probably want to practice SHL FF, in addition to SHDL. Being really comfortable powershielding is helpful against projectile heavy characters and especially Falco. Illusion shortening is pretty important, too. Remember to do JC grabs, not dashing grabs. Remember that SHFFL timings are different when you actually hit someone, especially dair. You could learn to moonwalk, though I don't think Fox has any practical applications for it. DI is very important. SDI is also important (especially if you want to ledge tech), and dual stick SDI is superior to SDI when getting out of rapid jabs, etc.

Sorry it's so jumbled. I probably missed something, too.

Also you kind of have to relearn Fox in Melee. Having PM Fox down is really, really helpful, but you still have to learn everything again, plus JC usmash, and you have to get used to not RARing.

Last edited:

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Don't have to learn all these fancy techs to be good, especially if you're new to smash. Learn good fundamentals, that will help you more than nearly any technique can.

Cell's post has some great stuff though

CeLL

Smash Lord
Don't have to learn all these fancy techs to be good, especially if you're new to smash. Learn good fundamentals, that will help you more than nearly any technique can.

Cell's post has some great stuff though
Indeed. It's important to learn how to apply SHFFLing and waveshining, proper spacing, and basic prediction before the fancy stuff. I was just listing ATs.

Top Bottom