• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do in this situation?

7thFonon

Smash Apprentice
I have had a little trouble on what to do with Wario. He has high manueverablity, so staying still and using a lot of blocking is not exactly smart. Not only that, but the only move you can really sheild grab is his forward smash and down tilt. He can use his air attacks to "poke" so that he can still land at a safe distance after attacking..... Basically taking Shield grabs out of the question.

Another thing that I have a problem with is that I cannot AAA because he can grab out of it even if being hit (if his feet are in contact with the ground). This eliminates my fastest moves in exception of juggling. My down tilt is difficult to get off because as you can see from the video, he likes to go into the air once he is close to me.

I tried to use my lasers as well to throw his air game off. I don't think it had much of an effect since by the time I recovered from shooting, Wario was already behind me. And her b.air is nice and all, but her short hop is too high and predictable...

I have posted a video of one of my battles with Wario....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9dhI-QmqA

Another problem I have is in situations such as 5:04. As you saw, he moved backward as soon as I made my move so....If I used "A" to attack, I would obviously miss and he would get me with a running grab. If I used "L" to roll, he could just forward smashed me / grabbed me. He's too far for a tip down from the edge, then jump + up air...
So I chose the option to tip down from the edge and jump to the stage and hope to get on safely (which did not happen)

My question is that in this situation, is what I did the smartest option? What other practical tactics could I have used in this situation or the fight as a whole?

Sorry if this is too long. But I felt that I should explain how I percieved this battle after looking at it. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Truthfully it looks like you have more problems with mind games or lack of then the actually fight.

For example whenever you approach you always used the dash attack.
Also you only used two recovery options for the whole game to get back onto the stage, which where the down B from ledge and the jump from ledge.

Theses are two are really great ways to get back onto the stage but if use only just those two then they become complete garbage as your opponent can either physic you out into a dodge or just wait for you to land helpless in front of them with or without the kick.

Now to your actually game play with Zamus...Don't use the stun laser as an offensive weapon. The stun laser is great for setting up combos but because of it's cool down time it because a high risk move so it should be used mainly for keep your opponent away or spacing.

That's another big issues you almost just let Wario right up next to you, don't Zamus can't fight up close as well as most of the cast mainly due to her high short hop, poor A-A-A combo and her slow grab. What you should be doing is using a mixture of whips(use this more a lot more), running grabs, pivoted grabs, retreating pivot grabs, short hop lazar, dash attacks and the up smash to keep your opponent away. Grabbing by the way is a huge part of Zamus game as it does a great job setting her opponents up for a possible hit. It also allows you to get a bit damage on them if you knee them a bit before throwing which in turn help regenerate your over used whip.

Just watch the video again, try to use the down tilt after a dash attack because if it works you might get a combo off it and it's a lot safer then the A-A-A combo.

Developed a better item strategy against Wario because at the beginning of the match you seem to hesitate with your items, don't if you ever have any doubt about your opponent going to shield, side step, catch or even eat your item just throw them downward to put them in motion.

Oh and to answer your question at the end

You should of used the side B either retreating or normal, drop from ledge before jumping up and firing a lasar, or you could even do the normal ledge attack.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Tristan said the main point: keep him away from you. Use Plasma Whip, plus usmash, tilts and defensive tactics to keep your distance.

Another point that I could say is that whenever you're hitting someone's shield, DI away, then turn around and ftilt if they keep the shield up. If they try to shield grab you and miss, then wait and punish.

Wario may not be an easy matchup for Zamus after all. Still, you have some options against him, so be sure you use them.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
Wario is a very good character(despite what some people think) with his 0 lag-D-Air, to his great recovery and semi-immunity to items(eating)

fighting him as Zero suit is mostly about abusing your range and priority while trying to keep him at range as much as possible. as Tristan said don't use B as an offensive move, it's to slow and the lag from it will, in most cases get you hit in some way or another. Retreating Forward-B's, retreating B's, Retreating F-airs, etc, Zamus is all about zoning.

as for you "5:04" question, From the looks of it, you could have dropped off the ledge, jumped and used Forward-B, it easily would have reached him. or you could have used Down-B off the ledge and used the attack from it, although that would be risky due to the recovery frames...chances are though he would have shielded these.

7thFonon

Smash Apprentice
Well thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to use my neutral B less and keep my distance. I'll try a little more f.airs because I usually try to use the b.air for the kill, but it's low hop of course is pretty bad. I Think I'll try going for more down tilts too.

Top Bottom