• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to call the new best players.

BlusterKongTheKing

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
HCOX#738
I've seen some people suggest Zain, Cody, Jmook, and aMSa are going to form a new 5 gods-esque tier of top players. I'm not trying to argue whether or not this is likely, but if it were to happen, what would we call this group? Something like "The New Gods" is kind of boring. What do y'all think.

Aidya

Smash Rookie
The problem is that none of them are dominant. Amsa loses to top 30 foxes (there’s a lot of them), Cody randomly loses to people all the time, Zain lost to Wally, jmook has bad losses too… given how inconsistent they all are it’s hard to justify excluding hbox mango and leffen in the top tier of players.

and then there’s the fact that Plup and wizzrobe could probably wipe the floor with any of these guys on a good day.

we lack a dominant player. No one is consistent except hbox and zain, neither of whom are in contention for rank 1 right now.

BlusterKongTheKing

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
HCOX#738
The problem is that none of them are dominant. Amsa loses to top 30 foxes (there’s a lot of them), Cody randomly loses to people all the time, Zain lost to Wally, jmook has bad losses too… given how inconsistent they all are it’s hard to justify excluding hbox mango and leffen in the top tier of players.

and then there’s the fact that Plup and wizzrobe could probably wipe the floor with any of these guys on a good day.

we lack a dominant player. No one is consistent except hbox and zain, neither of whom are in contention for rank 1 right now.
Yeah I definitely agree. I just wanted to see if yall had a good name in general lol.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828

In all fairness Zain hasn't lost to a player like Wally again. In fact when they played again Zain won convincingly enough. Outside of Leffen's Sheik giving him some issues he's really only losing to Cody and sometimes Jmook. I think that's a pretty dominant player.

I don't think it's fair to compare player's results now to Pre-Slippi era results. There's more stronger players now so players aren't going to be as dominant as years past. Slippi evened up the learning curved quite a bit.

But I will agree I guess there will never be a 5 Gods Era again. Too many good players now.

Last edited:

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice

Zain is clearly #1 right now.

Aidya

Smash Rookie
That comment wasn't even two months ago!
When I made that comment, not a single sane person thought zain was #1. He had zero argument to it. And honestly he’s barely edged out jmook and Cody as it stands

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Zain had 1 major to Jmook and Cody's 2 not even two months ago. Tbf he did look like he was clearly the best at Tipped Off though.
When I made that comment, not a single sane person thought zain was #1. He had zero argument to it. And honestly he’s barely edged out jmook and Cody as it stands
Zain was also ranked #1 for 2022, was he not? If we're counting 2023 as a fresh slate, yeah, I suppose you two have a point.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the AD era for "after dominance" (ie, Hbox's dominant run that has never and will never be replicated)

Moonshot_007

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, I mean, it took about 5 years of a "dark age" back in 2008-2013 then the "Five Gods" emerged, I consider the pandemic to be another "dark age" too, so maybe... see y'all in 2-3 years?

Top Bottom