• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What sort of moves do you throw out to keep your opponent guessing/pressured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combotea

Smash Rookie
Most of the time, I am super predictable with Palutena, mostly because I don't know what to throw out at my opponents to keep them guessing. This is seen in my tournament gameplay in a stream I found myself playing with her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id5GN2MLjis (Yes, I am that so called 8 - year old prodigy playing Palutena kid, but i'm actually 11... <:3) In the video, I mostly Air Dodge everytime when I get close to the ground, which I could fix, but my point is... How do I not be predictable? As my opponent kept on reading my grabs, and I could never really get to him. How do I fix that?

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
There's not much you can do, Palutena in general is very predictable because she only has 6 moves that have low enough lag to be thrown out; fair, bair, jab, nair, down tilt, standing grab. Everything else in her move set allows little flexibility seeing how throwing anything out that isn't listed literally takes more time than two forward smashes from Little Mac.

I suppose you could try warping away to reset neutral, but that's literally it. Everything just has too much lag. :(

Last edited:

Combotea

Smash Rookie
Aw man, I was getting my hopes up that she had somewhat of a way to be unpredictable, welp, i'll just go with it. :ohwell:

Oh yeah, I also have one more thing, since you mentioned that down tilt doesn't have that much lag, what would use the move for? Things like ledge guarding or spacing?

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Aw man, I was getting my hopes up that she had somewhat of a way to be unpredictable, welp, i'll just go with it. :ohwell:

Oh yeah, I also have one more thing, since you mentioned that down tilt doesn't have that much lag, what would use the move for? Things like ledge guarding or spacing?
Well I personally use it at a spaced distance at the ledge since it's not that good at extending combos, if it's not stale it can KO at the ledge at a reasonable 120%+ range, it should be noted that it can be used to hit opponents that are under the ledge, but you have to hit with the middle of the staff which is stupid imo because they will get hit by the sour spot which pops up instead of away. It does have quite a bit of start-up so just crouching at the ledge and reading is effective too.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Wow, I have to admit, but it's surprising you can do that well at the age of 11. It's incredibly impressive, not gonna lie.

Anyway, I see you are trying to pressure the other person more. As mentioned by PHP, your best options in neutral move-wise are f-air, b-air, full-hop n-air, jab, d-tilt, and grabbing (standing grab is more preferable). However, I would also throw out autoreticle at some time if my opponent won't approach me. Ledge-cancelled up-b might be an option as well. You can try short-hop f-air camping if your opponent is trying to approach you. You can space yourself carefully and jab when your opponent is trying to attack you. Jab is so disjointed that it is useful for punishing extended hurtboxes.

You can also mix up your movement options to add more depth into your gameplay. I see from the video that you like to use run-up shield and run-roll back. You can also try to use some EDD to confuse your opponent and bait out some attacks more. Perfect pivot is also a lot more helpful than it seems, as well. For instance, it gives you the ability to run back and quickly turn you towards your opponent quickly. You can also try using more empty hops to punish shields more easily.

Also, if your opponent likes to shield when you approach, try some cross-ups. You can punish your opponent according to their reaction to your cross-up. For instance, if they drop shield the moment you jump, you can d-air. If they continue to hold shield, you can land and dash-grab him. If they drop the shield later when you are behind him but still in the air, punish him with a b-air.

I could go on, but applying all these things together will make you more unpredictable. Try these things out, and you'll see that Palu's neutral is rather deeper than most people would give credit for.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Combotea Combotea I just watched the match you posted, you're really good, all you really have to work on is your air dodging into the stage habit, but other than that you're clearly very high level. Try joining the Palutena discord if you want to easily ask other Palu mains for more advice. :)

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Nice match! As for the airdodging thing, I would recommend landing away from your opponent as much as possible. Warp away if you have to (make sure you warp from a safe place though; people can actually hit you before you warp sometimes).

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom