• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should I be practicing in 20XX?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
So I've had the 20XX pack for almost a week now and so far, I've practiced techchases/chaingrabs, ledgedashes (with collisions on to see how invincible they are), and generic waveland stuff on platforms. Anyone have any ideas on what else to use it for, specifically for Sheik?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Practice attacking a shield in order to space well.
Practice movement by letting a random lvl 9 CPU chase you around a random stage.
Ledge Teching by freezing say a Falco in the middle of his Dsmash on the ledge and tech on it over and over.

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
I'd practice AC fairing. You can turn on if you get an l cancel correctly, or if you miss it. So if you AC fair properly your character won't flash at all. That's pretty important to be able to do in neutral and on their shield.

Also practice powershielding/moving out of laser hitstun. You can put a falco on FD and have them spam lasers at you.

Also just practice comboing people. I practice comboing marth on battlefield a lot, so I can get those crisp platform waveland regrab tech chases.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Practice moving as quickly as possible out of AC fair so that you can dash away from a shield grab and back in, or past.
Set a spacie to pressure mode and practice shield DI to make shine miss. Pracitce shield DI in general to grab from as far as you safely can, and try to do other inputs inbetween pressure as quickly as possible, and get familiar with what options work vs. what at which distances, to the point that you find yourself able to retaliate to as many things without WD OoS as possible (don't drop this option for actual matches).
Try to get a double jab as spaced out as possible while still stuffing an out of shield option, and otherwise try to do jabs as close as possible without a CPU being able to shield grab you to get more familiar with the spacing there. Find the biggest size you can do an unstale dsmash on someone's shield to break it.
Aside from learning proper tech-chasing such that spacies can't get the shine out (practice on Falco), if you want, you can try reacting off of tech-rolls with usmash chasing their movement, or shieldstopping short of where the shine would reach, angling slightly back, and grabbing out of shine's range.
Practice hitting a CPU's shield that does randomized options from distances where it's easiest to react to and punish whatever they do. Try to be able to shield nair OoS and cover roll away such that their shield doesn't come back up.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Practice moving as quickly as possible out of AC fair so that you can dash away from a shield grab and back in, or past.
Set a spacie to pressure mode and practice shield DI to make shine miss. Pracitce shield DI in general to grab from as far as you safely can, and try to do other inputs inbetween pressure as quickly as possible, and get familiar with what options work vs. what at which distances, to the point that you find yourself able to retaliate to as many things without WD OoS as possible (don't drop this option for actual matches).
Try to get a double jab as spaced out as possible while still stuffing an out of shield option, and otherwise try to do jabs as close as possible without a CPU being able to shield grab you to get more familiar with the spacing there. Find the biggest size you can do an unstale dsmash on someone's shield to break it.
Aside from learning proper tech-chasing such that spacies can't get the shine out (practice on Falco), if you want, you can try reacting off of tech-rolls with usmash chasing their movement, or shieldstopping short of where the shine would reach, angling slightly back, and grabbing out of shine's range.
Practice hitting a CPU's shield that does randomized options from distances where it's easiest to react to and punish whatever they do. Try to be able to shield nair OoS and cover roll away such that their shield doesn't come back up.
could you make a video demonstrating all of that?

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I don't have a capture card. Next time I'm at a smashfest, I might be able to get a microphone or just show practice on stream and then put text over it.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I don't have a capture card. Next time I'm at a smashfest, I might be able to get a microphone or just show practice on stream and then put text over it.
It all sounds extremely valueable and I'd love to incorporate into my daily practice routine.
I suck at remembering stuff I read but videos is a godsend. I'd really appreciate it

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
It's sad and no fun to practice, but the most important thing imo for solid gameplay is movement practice. Much harder than I thought or ever admitted in importance. Yet to do flawlessly is a sign of a pro. I mean knowing at any moment how to maximize your momentum using DDing/WDing/Pivots/Moonwalks/Runs/Trots/etc. Really it's hard enough just knowing you're at optimum speed (stopping your run from slowing down by WDing into a new run). Do this by heart (combined with REALLY KNOWING your platform drops), & you'll leap ahead in skill overall (the attack/defense types/ match-ups/ etc will come with experience). The above just explains what's almost impossible to practice in live matches. I couldn't even explain it very well. Hope ya kno what I mean. I'm convinced it's top priority.

Ask @ Scroll Scroll ; & he may agree. I've read he includes sets & reps of STRAIGHT maneuverability in his practice "work out" routines. He also demonstrated a lot of creative & advanced movement here as well: http://smashboards.com/threads/weird-tech-skill-challenges.369110/

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I'm no Sheik player, but I personally think that people should practice Sheik's reverse Up B.

Scroll

Smash Ace
It's incredibly hard to do the reverse UpB. It is on my list though.
95% of the time it's fine to move outwards during the initial part of the animation and then aim for the Ledge.
It's a poor mans version just like DD Shield Stop Grab OoS is a poor mans Pivot Grab.
I am not sure how this is relevant to the 20XX hack pack though.
The OP is about what features exclusive to the pack that we should utilize.

Top Bottom