• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What router do you use?

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious what routers everyone is using, how much it costed, and how well it handles smash. I'm particularly interested in whether it can maintain a good ping while other people are using the network for things like YouTube or Netflix.

I've got a cheap medialink wireless n router. It was the best seller on Amazon a couple years ago and about $30 which is why I bought it. It runs smash just fine if it's the only thing running, but as soon as you do ANYTHING else at the same time, it will lag really bad.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Linksys WRT1900AC ($150) hooked into a 48 port Cisco switch. (The switch is overkill for my house, but I got it for free).

I recommend any Cisco or Linksys home routers though. (They're not the same anymore). Netgear, Belkin, and Dlink aren't bad either... I just prefer Cisco or Linksys home equipment.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Linksys WRT1900AC ($150) hooked into a 48 port Cisco switch. (The switch is overkill for my house, but I got it for free).

I recommend any Cisco or Linksys home routers though. (They're not the same anymore). Netgear, Belkin, and Dlink aren't bad either... I just prefer Cisco or Linksys home equipment.
You didn't mention how well does it handle smash? Do you ever get lag when other people are using the internet?

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I didn't really feel a need to, lol. Yes, but the lag isn't on my end - it's on theirs. You will never have a perfect connection with everyone -- all you can do is rule yourself out by using a solid connection and USB ethernet adapter for WiiU. You don't need a crazy high end router. And besides, your router is limited by your modem as well. It all gets very technical.

Top Bottom