• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What new type would you introduce into pokémon?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Completely new and unique types are rarely added into pokémon games. There were dark and steel introduced in gen II, and recently fairy types were introduced in gen VI. If this trend persists, we likely won't see another new type for at least a decade, but if a new type were introduced into pokémon, what would you want it to be? It doesn't matter if it is balanced, or realistic, or even logical, just say what you want! However, if you feel that certain types need buffs/nerfs, or you have a type that would fit very well into the game, that would be great as well! Share your wildest desires!

Make sure you give examples of existing pokémon that would receive this type, as well as how it would interact with other types, and if there are any moves that would change to that type, or a new eeveelution that would come with it, share those too!

Sound type. All normal-type sound moves, like Hyper Voice, Uproar, Supersonic and Perish Sound, would become Sound-type moves.
Also these Pokemon would become Sound types:
  • Whismur, Loudred and Exploud (Sound)
  • Chatot (Sound/Flying)
  • Igglybuff, Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff (Sound/Fairy)
  • Politoed (Water/Sound)
  • Chingling and Chimecho (Psychic/Sound)
  • Kricketot and Kricketune (Bug/Sound)
  • (possibly) Audino (Normal/Sound)
  • (possibly) Wailmer and Wailord (Water/Sound)
  • (possibly) Noibat and Noivern (Sound/Dragon)
Don't know which types it would be strong against, weak against or resist.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Don't know which types it would be strong against, weak against or resist.
I may have some suggestions:

Attacking: normal 1X, fighting 2X, flying 1X, poison 1X, gound 0.5X, rock 1X, bug 0.5X, ghost 2X, steel 0.5X, fire 1X, water 2X, grass 1X, electric 0.5X, psychic 2X, ice 2X, dragon 1X, dark 1X, fairy 1X

Defending: normal 1X, fighting 1X, flying 1X, poison 1X, ground 2X, rock 2X, bug 2X, ghost 0.5X, steel 1X, fire 1X, water 0.5X, grass 1X, electric 2X, psychic 0.5X, ice 1X, dragon 1X, dark 1X, fairy 0.5X

(don't ask me to explain all of these, they just seemed right to me)

btw, I like the idea of sound types, it is very true that a lot of normal types use sound to attack, and it seems like they could use a sound typing. I also think that noibat, noivern, voltorb, electrode, kricketot, kricketune, and possibly vibrava and flygon since they make noises with their wings, but I don't know if their ground or dragon type could be replaced. They already had to cut them from being flying and bug type. Also, the ability "soundproof" would be cool since it would probably act like levitate towards ground type moves. This is a pretty cool type

I may have some suggestions:

Attacking: normal 1X, fighting 2X, flying 1X, poison 1X, gound 0.5X, rock 1X, bug 0.5X, ghost 2X, steel 0.5X, fire 1X, water 2X, grass 1X, electric 0.5X, psychic 2X, ice 2X, dragon 1X, dark 1X, fairy 1X

Defending: normal 1X, fighting 1X, flying 1X, poison 1X, ground 2X, rock 2X, bug 2X, ghost 0.5X, steel 1X, fire 1X, water 0.5X, grass 1X, electric 2X, psychic 0.5X, ice 1X, dragon 1X, dark 1X, fairy 0.5X

(don't ask me to explain all of these, they just seemed right to me)

btw, I like the idea of sound types, it is very true that a lot of normal types use sound to attack, and it seems like they could use a sound typing. I also think that noibat, noivern, voltorb, electrode, kricketot, kricketune, and possibly vibrava and flygon since they make noises with their wings, but I don't know if their ground or dragon type could be replaced. They already had to cut them from being flying and bug type. Also, the ability "soundproof" would be cool since it would probably act like levitate towards ground type moves. This is a pretty cool type
Those are good ideas, added Kricketot and Kricketune to my post. Would add Noibat and Noivern as well if I knew which type would be replaced. May I ask why Voltorb should be Sound type?

Would have suggested Light type as well, but it seems unnecessary as it's probably too similar to Electric and Fairy types.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Those are good ideas, added Kricketot and Kricketune to my post. Would add Noibat and Noivern as well if I knew which type would be replaced. May I ask why Voltorb should be Sound type?
Well, I just reasoned that (as I remember) they learn a lot of sound based moves, and one of their abilities is soundproof, and I thought that since they are well known for exploding, they can be quite loud when they explode.

Also, I personally think that noibat/noivern could give up their flying type since the flying/dragon typing is too common. Maybe give them the levitate ability to compensate? I don't know what their normal abilities are.

Last edited:
Also, I personally think that noibat/noivern could give up their flying type since the flying/dragon typing is too common. Maybe give them the levitate ability to compensate? I don't know what their normal abilities are.
Yes, that could work. Although they have never dropped any other type than Normal in favor of another type (although they changed Rotom's forms from Electric/Ghost to Electric/Water, Electric/Fire, etc.).

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Spatial is the only real option left. As for old Pokémon getting a type change because of this:
Clefairy: Fairy/ Spatial
Clefable: Fairy/ Spatial
Grimer: Poison/ Spatial
Muk: Poison/ Spatial
Starmie: Water/ Spatial
Cleffa: Fairy/ Spatial
Lunatone: Spatial/ Psychic
Solrock: Spatial/ Psychic
Jirachi: Steel/ Spatial
Deoxys: Spatial
Palkia: Dragon/ Spatial
Elgyem: Spatial
Beheeyem: Spatial

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Personally, if I were to introduce a type into the game, it would be the ancient type. Basically pokémon that are known to have been around for a very long time, were revived from fossils, known to live very long, tied to their ancestry, etc. would be ancient types.

Examples of ancient types: All fossil pokémon would have their rock types replaced with the ancient type, sigilyph (psychic/ancient), claydol/baltoy (psychic/ancient), Natu/Xatu (flying/ancient), unown (psychic/ancient), relicanth (water/ancient), spiritomb (ghost/ancient), cubone/marowak (ground/ancient), yamask/cofagrigus (ghost/ancient), elgyem/beheeyem (psychic/ancient), honedge/doublade/aegislash (steel/ancient)

Attacking: Rock: 2X, ghost 2X, fire 0.5X, dark 0.5X, ancient 0.5X
Defending: Fighting 2X, ghost 0.5X, fire 2X, psychic 0.5X, dark 2X, ancient 0.5X

And certain moves would become ancient type as well, such as ancient power, bone rush, bone club, earth power, and probably a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Note: I was in the middle of writing this post when the previous post was written, so even though our ideas are very similar, I didn't copy anything, I swear!

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Note: I was in the middle of writing this post when the previous post was written, so even though our ideas are very similar, I didn't copy anything, I swear!
How are they similar? My focuses on aliens/ creatures with some sort of connection with space, moon, stars, etc., while your's revolves around long existing Pokémon.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
How are they similar? My focuses on aliens/ creatures with some sort of connection with space, moon, stars, etc., while your's revolves around long existing Pokémon.
Oh, I misinterpreted your post. When you said "old pokémon getting a type change", you mean existing ones, not giving the spatial type to old pokémon. Ok yeah, that is a pretty cool idea!

finalark

SNORLAX
Spatial is the only real option left.
For the sake of sounding poetic, I think I'd probably call it aether after the alchemical element.

BTW aether is what people called space before we called it space. Although people thought it wasn't just a big blank nothing but some kind of purifying, modifiable substance.

Also, I don't think grimer and muk would be retryped to this. They're pretty clearly man-made creatures.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
For the sake of sounding poetic, I think I'd probably call it aether after the alchemical element.

BTW aether is what people called space before we called it space. Although people thought it wasn't just a big blank nothing but some kind of purifying, modifiable substance.

Also, I don't think grimer and muk would be retryped to this. They're pretty clearly man-made creatures.
While Aether is a good name, few people would truly understand the origins of the name or what it even means, and no kid certainly is going to get it.
Also, a few of Grimer's Dex entries state that it was born from sludge that were bathed in X-Rays that originated from the moon itself. They certainly would work as Spatial types.

Spatial is the only real option left. As for old Pokémon getting a type change because of this:
Lunatone: Spatial/ Psychic
Solrock: Spatial/ Psychic

This sounds like a good idea. Although I would call it Cosmic type. And I think Lunatone and Solrock should keep Rock type rather than Psychic type.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Light and Cosmic

Here's an idea of two Legendary Pokemon:

Legendary 1: Planets of the Sol System
First Evolution:
The Planet's Core: Cosmic/Rock (this what happened 4.6 billion years ago that created the terrestrial and gas planets)

The Solarlutions: (Like Eevee's you get to choose one)

Mercury: Cosmic/Steel

Venus: Cosmic/Fire

Earth: Cosmic/Ground

Mars: Cosmic/Fighting (named after the Roman god of war)

Jupiter: Cosmic/Flying

Saturn: Cosmic/Psychic

Uranus: Cosmic/Poison

Neptune: Cosmic/Water

Pluto: Cosmic/Ice (Maybe have a miniature version of Charon orbiting binary style?)

Chaos: Cosmic/Ghost (We don't see it, my name for the hypothetical Planet Nine)

Legendary 2: Interstellar Trio (Pioneers/Voyagers/New Horizons are now in Interstellar Space)
The Trio:

Pioneer 10 & 11: Dark/Flying (not working anymore after a long time)

New Horizons: Steel/Flying

Voyager 1 & 2: Light/Flying (going to the nearest stars in the far future)

That's my ideas for these Legendaries

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like the idea of light and sound, and actually I think some moves themselves could be dual natured.

You could have moonblast which is both light and fairy. Draining kiss would only be fairy still, in example.

Hyperbeam could be changed to light type. I also wouldn't mind air/wind type and for some flying moves to be air instead, or some can be both.
Just playing with ideas though, since it's a good thread for imagination XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom