• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What match-ups give you a tough time in Smash 4?

D

Deleted member

So for example, as a Zelda main, I tend to struggle against Sword/Projectile styled characters. What do you guys struggle with? Maybe we can all help each other out :) !

BlowingUpMyGoodEye

Smash Rookie
As a noob, I struggle against 'scary' characters like ganondorf, captain falcon, donkey kong...any character that has a solid grab game or powerful attacks, really. I get really flustered once I lose my momentum and the aforementioned characters are really good at punishing mistakes. Fighting them is not conducive to a good time.

Specifically though, fighting mobile characters like fox and ZSS is difficult because my moves are super laggy. Palutena is really prone to getting juggled as well unless I manage to Nair or warp to safety, and if I do land successfully there's not a lot in my kit that contends with speedy combo-based characters anyway. I'd like to mention kirby specifically because getting caught in his uptilt spamming sucks; the same applies to mario but the matchup isn't too difficult if I respect his smashes. Kirby's short stature bugs me as well.

D

Deleted member

As a noob, I struggle against 'scary' characters like ganondorf, captain falcon, donkey kong...any character that has a solid grab game or powerful attacks, really. I get really flustered once I lose my momentum and the aforementioned characters are really good at punishing mistakes. Fighting them is not conducive to a good time.

Specifically though, fighting mobile characters like fox and ZSS is difficult because my moves are super laggy. Palutena is really prone to getting juggled as well unless I manage to Nair or warp to safety, and if I do land successfully there's not a lot in my kit that contends with speedy combo-based characters anyway. I'd like to mention kirby specifically because getting caught in his uptilt spamming sucks; the same applies to mario but the matchup isn't too difficult if I respect his smashes. Kirby's short stature bugs me as well.
Well, as far as characters like Fox and Zss, (high tiers) if you play a character like Palu, all you can really can do is look for openings, and punish their mistakes. However, Fox, in my opinion, is easy to juggle. He is a fast faller, so try finding jab-grab-downthrow into Nair. And when they start air-dodgeing, start punishing their air dodges with her up-smash. It has excellent range and hits hard. Save her up-air for kills as its much stronger fresh. As far as characters like Ganon, he and other heavy weights have large hurtboxes, which means where they can be hit easier. Plus they are slower, so if they like spamming forward smashes or any move in particular, punish them right after the animation. Kirby gives me a tough time to, but he can be beaten. If the Kirby always goes for dair-uptilt, try shield grab or rolling away. Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
As Ike I am dreadful against Mewtwo, who my younger brother happens to main.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
As a Robin main, rushdown characters are my Kryptonite. Robin's a zoner, so he needs to be mindful of his distance in order to be effective. But characters that won't give you time to breathe make zoning more difficult. It's also worth noting that characters with quick projectiles, like Sheik's needles, Mega Man's pellets, and Villager's slingshot pebbles, can easily disrupt Robin from fully casting a spell, therefore rendering it null and void as well as costing me a durability point (or more when using Elthunder/Arcthunder/Thoron). Characters with reflectors or absorption moves of some sort also gives me trouble.

D

Deleted member

As Ike I am dreadful against Mewtwo, who my younger brother happens to main.
Mewtwo is a powerful character with a great punish game and a annoying air-dodge, but his biggest weakness is weight. He is extremely light and can be ko'd easily with Ike's powerful attacks. Just find a opening or if your brother makes a mistake by mis spacing an aerial and punish accordingly. Also, try dash-dancing, shorthop nair as pressure and look for grabs. Hope this helps!

Also check out this video. Best guide on getting better with Ike!:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qfjw5DygdPU

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
It all depends on how I’m playing and the skill of the other player.

Mewtwo is some one I played good against once

MajoraLink100

Smash Rookie
NNID
MajoraLink100
3DS FC
3067-9189-8130
Playing as Toon Link against Cloud... I hate it so much

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I always have a hard time against Zelda, Megaman, Yoshi, and Toon Link for some reason.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
As someone that plays a lot of projectile focused characters, Villager messes me up reaaaaallll bad. He's a mad man

Top Bottom