• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes luigi that bad?

Kyler

Smash Cadet
this isnt going to be a post about me trying to defend luigi im actually wondering what makes him the lowest character on the current tier list

he has a pretty good recovery and his up B is a very strong kill move (that can combo from dair i think)
his throws seem alright, and i always thought til i looked it up that samus was actually the worst character in the game so if theres anyone who feels like explaining it to me that would be pretty nice cause im confused

Morin0

Smash Lord
this isnt going to be a post about me trying to defend luigi
he has a pretty good recovery and his up B is a very strong kill move (that can combo from dair i think)
his throws seem alright, and i always thought til i looked it up that samus was actually the worst character in the game
lol jk. Basically, Luigi is a worse Mario. His fireball has an inferior trajectory compared to Mario's, he has a hard time approaching, he's slow in the air, the height of his short hop, his up b is kind of bad compared to Mario's. Something like that.

D

Deleted member

i think he's underrated tbh. if executed correctly, the up+b and down+b are absolutely deadly.

GBC

Smash Rookie
I personally wouldn't hvae Luigi at the bottom of my tier list, but that's for another discussion. He's a very floaty character so he's easily comboed in the air. Agreeing with Morin0, his fireball definitely has an inferior trajectory compared to Mario's and his short hop is god awful. He's also got the worst dash A in the game, flailing his fists and leaving him open right afterwards.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
He just has a bad approach and bad hitboxes. Luigi is a killing machine but his bad approach makes it hard for him to get in at all and get kills. Due to his high jumps dair-uair isn't a wall of hitboxes like it is with Mario, and because of his size in comparison to Mario despite having the same hitboxes, his recovery is much easier to edgeguard. He can certainly get a lot of distance, but most characters can poke through his hitboxes when he is recovering. Also, only 1 frame of invincibility compared to 4 with Mario. His fireballs being only horizontal means they give almost no protection when recovering and can't be used to camp and control platforms. With his big jumps he typically has a hard time comboing at low percents because he ends up jumping further than his opponent is knocked back. Despite all the shortcomings, Luigi can be very good and can beat just about anyone. The only shortcoming of Luigi that actually matters is his poor speed and bad approach. Any skilled player can overcome that however and turn just about any Luigi touch into a stock. I also think Luigi has really good matchups against several high tier commonly used characters.

B Link

Smash Lord
All I can say is Luigi is good if you know how to use Ness. And if Ness is good, then you know how to use Luigi.

D

Deleted member

i can honestly see luigi being a second main of mine, or at least having a pocket luigi. the combos he can do are awesome. ^_^

Uair

Banned via Warnings
He just has a bad approach and bad hitboxes. Luigi is a killing machine but his bad approach makes it hard for him to get in at all and get kills. Due to his high jumps dair-uair isn't a wall of hitboxes like it is with Mario, and because of his size in comparison to Mario despite having the same hitboxes, his recovery is much easier to edgeguard. He can certainly get a lot of distance, but most characters can poke through his hitboxes when he is recovering. Also, only 1 frame of invincibility compared to 4 with Mario. His fireballs being only horizontal means they give almost no protection when recovering and can't be used to camp and control platforms. With his big jumps he typically has a hard time comboing at low percents because he ends up jumping further than his opponent is knocked back. Despite all the shortcomings, Luigi can be very good and can beat just about anyone. The only shortcoming of Luigi that actually matters is his poor speed and bad approach. Any skilled player can overcome that however and turn just about any Luigi touch into a stock. I also think Luigi has really good matchups against several high tier commonly used characters.
Nice wall of incoherent text, how is luigi's recovery worst than mario's? Because of his upB lol? You do realize his upB has a larger hitbox than mario's in top/front area which is where u recover from. Properly spaced Luigi/Mario upBs to ledge grab will always coin hit someone before they hit you. And luigi's is even further/bigger than mario's is. Not to mention luigi's down B is easier to ascend with than mario's, and his floaty state allows him to make huge gap recoverys because of his high/long jumps.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
LOL
Hitboxes don't matter when grabbing the ledge is a successful edgeguard 90% of the time against the plumbers. Assuming the person edgeguarding isn't bad at this game, they will grab the ledge and you will float to your death slowly and have enough time to finish dinner. Even if you try to mix things up and land on the stage, anybody can see that coming from a mile away and good luck trying to live when your opponent has 20 frames to react when you land. Luigi's upB only hits once and with little knockback so even if the other person is terrible and gets hit, they can easily respond because Luigi sucks. Mario's UpB hits 5 five times with more knockback so it's actually useful as a mixup and in the neutral.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
LOL
Hitboxes don't matter when grabbing the ledge is a successful edgeguard 90% of the time against the plumbers.

Uair said:
Properly spaced Luigi/Mario upBs to ledge grab will always coin hit someone before they hit you.

No grab can reach underneath far enough to even touch mario/luigi's upB hitbox. You probably don't know what the max spaced out Mario/Luigi upB recovery looks like. I can show you again I think I remember you impostering HAMMERHEART and getting my hopes up for samus dittos.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
No grab can reach underneath far enough to even touch mario/luigi's upB hitbox. You probably don't know what the max spaced out Mario/Luigi upB recovery looks like. I can show you again I think I remember you impostering HAMMERHEART and getting my hopes up for samus dittos.
hes talking about grabbing the ledge good sir

Uair

Banned via Warnings
What are you talking about...

Hitboxes don't matter when grabbing the ledge is a successful edgeguard 90% of the time against the plumbers.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
There's no way I would try to impersonate Hamerheart. I played Samus once in my life back in 2006 in a three way free-for-all against my brothers on sector Z with items. I just play Link, Mario, Fox, and DK.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
There's no way I would try to impersonate Hamerheart. I played Samus once in my life back in 2006 in a three way free-for-all against my brothers on sector Z with items. I just play Link, Mario, Fox, and DK.
yeah I remember you using mario or something and you sucked. You really pissed me off because that was after cuddlytoys or someone started ragequitting and I thought I was gonna get a good game.

D

Deleted member

i didn't think of that, but that is definitely a plus. his recovery is great and he's quite difficult to edgeguard as well. luigi underrated for sure.

Shears

Smash Master
One more thing. Some characters can actually grab Luigi when he's hanging on the ledge after his invincibility runs out.
LOL
Most characters can grab most characters on the ledge after their invincibility runs out. But if Luigi doesn't sweet spot, you can just shield his upb and grab him out of it.

Kyler

Smash Cadet
all these posts make alot of sense thanks guys

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I think this should be quoted and put somewhere for whenever another guy asks this question. Can't say this better.

D

Deleted member

there are very few players, in any, who play luigi well, instead of just spamming up b.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom