• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your "reading" experience?

Red-White

Smash Apprentice
This is something I've been really curious about for a while. Do people have different personal ways that they "read" opponents? Like, does it tap into the visual part of your brain? Do you literally see it coming? Or is there just internal monologue? If so what are the exact words that go through your head?
This may just end up with me getting the answer of 'No, actually we just all read the same way.' or something to that effect, but still, my interest is piqued. So please, try to describe what goes through your head when you "read" an opponent.

Red-White

Smash Apprentice
Oh! And also, for me at least, reading is an extremely natural process. It's something that I do, but can only realize I've done, after I've done it. Words can go through my head and if I have enough time to really think, I could read like that, but for the most part those words aren't very useful to me. I just can't force myself to think like that. So reading is more just an . . . instinct? That may not be the right word. But point is it's an extremely natural process for me.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm not sure, but I think I learn the opponent's playstyle and alter mine a bit so that I can punish them. For example, if they use roll as their method of movement, I'll throw out a reverse grab here or a powerful attack there.

Red-White

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure, but I think I learn the opponent's playstyle and alter mine a bit so that I can punish them. For example, if they use roll as their method of movement, I'll throw out a reverse grab here or a powerful attack there.
Reading through adaptation. Makes sense. Interesting.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
While I rarely "read" my opponents, I usually look at their movement and see if I strike them with a smash attack or grab them (even if I always miss due to the character's frame or something) when they are on the ground and started to roll or shielded to try to attack. It is useful for comebacks but I always failed it against smart opponents.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
They're brief flashes of possibility in my mind that results with me either immediately going for it, or proceeding to think of another way of continuing with my play.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I read a lot, actually.

I just picked up the Paulo Cohelo book that came out last year. It's alright, although a bit pretentious for a book with page long sex scenes. I also just finished The Glass Castle memoir which I thought was riveting. Next I'm gonna reread Watership Down since it's one of my favorites.

Oh, we're talking about Smash.

I'm not good at reading, I don't think. I get lucky.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
I read a lot, actually.

I just picked up the Paulo Cohelo book that came out last year. It's alright, although a bit pretentious for a book with page long sex scenes. I also just finished The Glass Castle memoir which I thought was riveting. Next I'm gonna reread Watership Down since it's one of my favorites.

Oh, we're talking about Smash.

I'm not good at reading, I don't think. I get lucky.
Hence the quotation marks.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
"Adaptation" is how I'd describe my method of reading, the more I'm exposed to characters and players, the better and easier I pick up on how to fight them.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Yeah, I also adapt for my methods of reading. I also condition opponents to adapt to me one way and surprise them with a different way of reacting to their movements. If said opponent never tries to adapt against me, I rinse and repeat strategies until they show signs of adapting. Or they can lose and never learn and get salty and yell at me for being a "camper"...

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Izayoi Izayoi I've conditioned people into charging head-on into a full charged Shield Breaker, it's the best.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Shame Shield Breaker doesn't break shields as often anymore. :salt:
Never mind that Collarbone Breaker is superior in speed, execution and shield damage, plus it's harder to drop shield on thanks to the new shield mechanics.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
This is something I've been really curious about for a while. Do people have different personal ways that they "read" opponents? Like, does it tap into the visual part of your brain? Do you literally see it coming? Or is there just internal monologue? If so what are the exact words that go through your head?
This may just end up with me getting the answer of 'No, actually we just all read the same way.' or something to that effect, but still, my interest is piqued. So please, try to describe what goes through your head when you "read" an opponent.
Funny you ask the question. I cannot "read" a opponent at all, even by the 100th match. No kidding.

There certainly isn't a "No" answer to this open ended question, as I think it varies from person to person, and how that person is wired.

But in general as I said before, I cannot for the life of me condition opponents. Kudos to you if you can, maybe my brain can't handle it. Due to that inability, I question myself at times whether or not I should continue playing online.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Funny you ask the question. I cannot "read" a opponent at all, even by the 100th match. No kidding.

There certainly isn't a "No" answer to this open ended question, as I think it varies from person to person, and how that person is wired.

But in general as I said before, I cannot for the life of me condition opponents. Kudos to you if you can, maybe my brain can't handle it. Due to that inability, I question myself at times whether or not I should continue playing online.
You're conditioning opponents whether you realize it or not. Its impossible not to do. You might not be taking advantage of the conditioning, but you are conditioning them.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
intuition mostly

at my level people have patterns that are generally difficult to explain but not terribly hard to notice. i think most people would categorize me as like a low/mid-level player but anyways: it's almost like a sort of rhythm, and since it's often uncomplicated it's pretty easy to detect when someone's going to go for a grab or throw out an aerial or dash dance away from you, so once you sense you have a feel for their rhythm you just kind of go in on them. even mid-/mid-high-level players have distinct things that they do and pretty notable patterns. you just have to watch your opponent and once you think making a read will be good you go in

Last edited:

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I read several different ways. Most of the time I watch my opponents playstyle and simply capitalize on their consistent habits, like how they get up from the ledge or if they airdodge a lot.

Sometimes I'll just get an inatantaneous feeling and go with it. Subconsciously I know what they'll do.

Other times I'll just guess what they'll without any real feeling, and this works surprisingly well for me somehow.

I like to use reads and mind games as many way as I can to predict and confuse my opponent. Sometimes their planned, consciously or subconsciously, and others they're pure luck, which works for me.

My favorite reads are counter reads with chargeable attacks. I love to charge my hammer with Kirby and wait for my opponent to counter so I can destroy them. I also love to play Shulk against Ganon and wait for a Warlock Punch of Volcano kick.

Top Bottom