• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the point of paying to lower classic below intensity 2.0?

the8thark

Smash Lord
What is the point of paying to lower classic below intensity 2.0?

I never worked out the point of this. Maybe someone here can clue me in as to why this even exists in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know how the intensity meter uses a scale. Apparently, your fighter's trophy is only heavy enough to set the scale at 2.0. To lower the intensity level, apparently gold has to be added onto the trophy's side of the scale.

the8thark

Smash Lord
You know how the intensity meter uses a scale. Apparently, your fighter's trophy is only heavy enough to set the scale at 2.0. To lower the intensity level, apparently gold has to be added onto the trophy's side of the scale.
That makes sense. But why would you ever do it when 2.0 is easy enough to beat. And I assume less than 2.0 is even less rewarding.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That makes sense. But why would you ever do it when 2.0 is easy enough to beat. And I assume less than 2.0 is even less rewarding.
Lower than 2.0 is less rewarding, but being able to go down to 1.0 and 0.0 will at least enable you to clear Classic mode more easily with the fighters that you're very lousy with.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Lower than 2.0 is less rewarding, but being able to go down to 1.0 and 0.0 will at least enable you to clear Classic mode more easily with the fighters that you're very lousy with.
That makes sense totally. But unless you are very very bad at Smash WiiU, 2.0 should be doable with all characters. And if you need to go below 2.0 for any character, then forget about getting a few specific challenges done.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That makes sense totally. But unless you are very very bad at Smash WiiU, 2.0 should be doable with all characters. And if you need to go below 2.0 for any character, then forget about getting a few specific challenges done.
Yeah the main problem is that unlike in Smash 3DS, where there are no intensity level requirements for clearing Classic with everyone, in Smash Wii U, you actually have to clear Classic with everyone on intensity level 7.0 or higher. Some fighters just don't excel very well on the higher intensity levels, especially when the AI can be a big pain to beat.

Because Smash Wii U has so many absurdly hard challenges, you really have to refrain from using your Golden Hammers until you're at a point where you can use them without having any regrets.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Same reason why any game has an easy mode, just something to help kids if they're struggling. Also it's just copied in straight from Kid Icarus Uprising (though 0.0 was actually handy for farming base weapons with no stats or mods, which IMO made multiplayer a lot more enjoyable).

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
In my experience, intensity 0.0 is very nice for farming Special Order tickets without exerting any effort whatsoever. I also used it to get the challenges for
Little Mac w/o deaths and Olimar w/in 20 minutes
since I'm hideous at those characters to begin with, and wouldn't want to bother trying either at the same time as going for 7.0+.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Same reason why any game has an easy mode, just something to help kids if they're struggling. Also it's just copied in straight from Kid Icarus Uprising (though 0.0 was actually handy for farming base weapons with no stats or mods, which IMO made multiplayer a lot more enjoyable).
I agree with you totally. But Nintendo is telling these kids, go away and earn some gold before you can play the easiest intensity of the game. I agree there should be an easy mode, for people who are not good enough to earn a majority of the trophies/challenges but still want to smash. But having to pay for the privilege of making the game easier and less rewarding? That's just a slap in the face.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably let you all know in advance on what the reward is for clearing Classic on intensity 7.0 with everyone...

The Regal Crown Mii hat. Wait until after you've collected all the other hats before you even try to do this.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I should probably let you all know in advance on what the reward is for clearing Classic on intensity 7.0 with everyone...

The Regal Crown Mii hat. Wait until after you've collected all the other hats before you even try to do this.
How is this relevant to the fact we are paying for having the game at it's lowest difficulty?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I agree with you totally. But Nintendo is telling these kids, go away and earn some gold before you can play the easiest intensity of the game. I agree there should be an easy mode, for people who are not good enough to earn a majority of the trophies/challenges but still want to smash. But having to pay for the privilege of making the game easier and less rewarding? That's just a slap in the face.
Having 2.0 be free encourages players to at least try and start there first, and if they fail they'll probably earn enough gold from that attempt to try again on a lower difficulty. It doesn't cost that much. Could also be to restrict farming since you can repeatedly go through 0.0 so fast.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
I lowered the difficulty to 0 for the achievement beating Classic w/ Little Mac without losing a stock, since of course he has really lousy staying power. Other than that I have never played below 8.0 difficulty, due to the other achievment, beating classic with each character at 7.0 or higher

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
0.0 was extremely useful for Kid Icarus, not so much in Smash. I guess you can use it if you want a crazy pass but don't have 5000 gold to pay in? Yeah... At least it had uses outside of grinding in KI, like all the crisis challenges and the speedruns with clubs and cannons.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
For people like my girlfriend who have never really played video games, difficulty 0 is a godsend.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's still ridiculous how Smash Wii U has challenges where you have to clear Classic at intensities 2.0 and 5.5 with certain characters, and yet even when you do complete those challenges, you have to reuse those characters all over again in order to complete the Classic at intensity 7.0 with everyone challenge.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
It's still ridiculous how Smash Wii U has challenges where you have to clear Classic at intensities 2.0 and 5.5 with certain characters, and yet even when you do complete those challenges, you have to reuse those characters all over again in order to complete the Classic at intensity 7.0 with everyone challenge.
or just do it on 7 once.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I did the Little Mac challenge on... 1.6 for some reason. By the time I did the 7.0 with Everyone challenge, I had gone through Classic a total of ~80 times. Kinda done with it for a while.

Unowninator

Smash Cadet

That's the reward? Good thing I have good gear for the a quick Home-Run finish. (Home-Run Brawn Badge, Quick Batter Speed Badge, and a Risky No Respawn Defense Badge).

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I set the intensity to nil to speedrun the mode with Olimar because I'm total ass with him. When I go for a 7.0 run with him I'll use good customs and not worry about being fast

Top Bottom